Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 07:52 AM

46 posts, read 40,746 times

Advertisements

I had my driveway redone about 4-5 years ago due to deterioration and depressions forming under the tire treads (fwiw, the car is kept in the garage, not on the driveway)

Last year the area at the top heaved, cracked and depressed; the contractor cut out the area and "re-did" it (I have no clue what he did, it just looks crappy and ****ty work)

The tire tread depressions came back this fall (poor sub base prep?) and I'm thinking of replacing the driveway this spring (fwiw #2: same contractor did a neighbor's d/w, who keeps his GMC truck on the d/w all the time, and zero tread depressions)

The driveway is about 50' long, a moderate incline.

What's on your driveway, how has it held up over time, and what specs to demand so I don't get ripped off again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 08:12 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
We always had gravel . Not practical, I guess, but looks pretty.

Brick always looks nice ; I am not sure how well that holds up, though .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-08-2018, 08:14 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
I assume you currently have asphalt. This issue is most definitely the base. It sounds like it was not compacted properly.

Soil could also be an issue. What town do you live in?

I would suggest 3"+ of RCA base compacted 2x.

Most importantly, contractor should wait 4-6 weeks for the asphalt install. You should drive and park on the RCA. This will compact the areas under your car and you won't have ruts or depressions.

Finally 2-4" of asphalt. Make sure you get the best (finest sized aggregate) grade of asphalt.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:32 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Concrete would be my vote. Might be expensive, but it will hold up for a looooong time.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:19 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
We have the asphalt that was here when we bought the house in 2009. Depressions, under the usual spot where the tires end up, started appearing around 2013. We stopped parking in the exact same spot. Tree roots are starting the demo process for us for our eventual conversion from asphalt to road-grade clay brick.

The only question we have to decide is whether to install two parallel strips of brick or install a full brick driveway.

At our Levittown house, we had two concrete strips with brick down the middle until it reached the all-concrete pad at the garage. The concrete pad cracked during curing.

Clay brick is, by far, the most durable material (lasting 100+ yrs.) though it's the most expensive to install.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:58 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
We are former Ny'ers and have just faced that same decision. I love the look of concrete, but, we get very little to no sun on the front side of my home. My front walk becomes a skating rink unless we get the little snow we get off the walk really well. The driveway which is blacktop melts the snow that is left after we shovel. This was our experience on LI too, so consider which side of the street you live on too.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:55 AM

46 posts, read 40,746 times
In response to Kbinspections and nuts2uiam: The driveway is currently asphalt, and north-facing (ty for the heads-up about snow melting)

House in North Shore Nassau County

This guy did a LOT of homes on my street, and they all held up better than mine; he was mid-priced with the 5 quotes that I got.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:10 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienCheese View Post
In response to Kbinspections and nuts2uiam: The driveway is currently asphalt, and north-facing (ty for the heads-up about snow melting)

House in North Shore Nassau County

This guy did a LOT of homes on my street, and they all held up better than mine; he was mid-priced with the 5 quotes that I got.
Since your driveway heaved, poor drainage and/or poor asphalt seal is letting water build up under the surface. You might have a lot of clay in your soil preventing the water from draining.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:31 AM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times
We had asphalt and it was always cracking. The annual sealing did not help.

We replaced it with concrete with brick border about 15 years ago.

It still looks great.

We did have an issue with one area where the brick sank as the runoff from a gutter / leader caused the damage over time.

Yes, the concrete is expensive but will outlast asphalt over the long haul.

While a brick driveway is beautiful, unless a concrete bed is under it, over time, it will develop depressions.

I'm not a contractor or a brick mason, so this is just my opinion.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:18 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Asphalt is not made to last and the re-sealing or fillers don't do much to help it. Wasted enough time & money doing that sort of thing. Ours has cracks but the lower cost & snow-melting properties are attractive enough to do again. Ideally we'd do pavers like we had at our last house but that formed depressions over time so like mentioned - you have to be careful about the right foundation first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island