Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 08:08 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibrarian View Post
Just want to point out that literacy and academic achievement is more closely tied to socio-economics (and education level of the parents) than race/ethnicity. If anyone's interested I'll attempt to find the studies I'm thinking of.
Sounds interesting. I'd like to see those studies.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 07:42 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
I would too because I sort have read things to the contrary, unfortunately.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-06-2008, 12:13 AM

4,414 posts, read 5,147,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Ever View Post
White flight never seemed so much to be about "non-whites" moving in, as it was about blacks, specifically. Today, most white people inclined to flight still see things that way, with another growing ethnic group included in the mix -- Hispanic. As much as some white people might carry on about Asians, they don't necessarily perceive them as a possible physical threat, whether from violence and/or other quality-of-life issues.

So the whole "percentage of non-white" should be further clarified, if possible, with a breakdown of the non-white groups. It will become obvious that certain school districts are comprised of more non-white, but Asian students, rather than black or Hispanic.

I think (although I may be wrong) that this is the information many people are most concerned with.

I don't think so. Many whites have been accustomed to living in a community where they are they majority. There is a tipping point, so to speak. For further clarification, I will give you two examples. Maplewood, NJ was on the verge of of seeing it's white population go bye bye due to the percentage of blacks in the community climbing above the magic number of 33% and the white community at about 60%. With alot of community outreach and dialogue the inevitable conversion of Maplewood turning into Irvington never materialized. Now let's look at Edison, NJ. Same situation but with Asians coming in in large numbers. Now whites are approaching only about a third of the population there, when they where a majority only a few years ago. An Asian mayor was elected in Edison and many whites were uncomfortable with that. So Asians aren't any more palatable to whites than blacks. If someone is racist, they are racist period, no cherry picking. Blacks may present one set of undesirable attributes to whites while Asians will present a whole other set of perceived undesirable attributes to whites.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:31 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,985 times
From Newsday:

The top scoring public high schools in each county, and the percentage of seniors who scored a 3 or better:

NASSAU:
1. Jericho (67.0)
2. Great Neck South (66.7)
3. Miller-Great Neck North (61.5)
4. Manhasset (60.8)
5. Roslyn (60.8)
6. The Wheatley School in Old Westbury (54.0)
7. Syosset (50.2)
8. Garden City (50.0)
9. John F. Kennedy (Bellmore-Merrick schools; 49.0)
10. North Shore (47.2)

SUFFOLK:
1. Cold Spring Harbor (73.5)
2. Half Hollow Hills West, Dix Hills (51.3)
3. Earl L. Vandermeulen, Port Jefferson schools (48.9)
4. Half Hollows Hills East (42.3)
5. Mattituck (46.4)
6. Harborfields (44.4)
7. Northport (41.8)
8. John H. Glenn (Elwood; 38.0)
9. Smithtown West (37)
10. Three Village (36.1), which includes students from Setauket, Stony Brook and East Setauket plus small pockets of Centereach, Port Jefferson, Lake Grove and St. James (broken link).

Born and raised in Nassau, product of Bellmore-Merrick schools, settled in Wantagh as a newlywed. Now living in Port Jeff proper because it was a top-rated school district that we could "AFFORD" compared to "the best" in Nassau. I absolutely love that my children are being exposed to a LITTLE more diversity that what I knew. The amount is almost laughable; however, at least there is some Asian culture out here for them to know. But, c'mon, honestly...there isn't any diversity on Long Island. You have your pockets of black areas, and some Asian population, but there is no middle ground. Long Island is a vacuum, plain and simple.

We considered North Carolina for our family. And we still consider it sometimes. But, once again, it came down to schools. The area we liked scored well but was soooo overcrowded. The one issue I really took notice of, and was so caught off guard to see, was how much more integrated the areas were. Whites, blacks, asians, living among each other in safe and beautiful neighborhoods, and being friendly, courteous...it was, honestly, so astounding! I thought it was this dream, I really did! I'm from L.I, so I only know L.I. And I could not help but make mention of it to the local residents down there. The overall response from the black people with whom I spoke was that Long Island is this entity unto itself and that this racial line exists only here. I don't know if that is true, but the people seemed to believe it. So, it just goes to show how THE SOUTH (at least what I saw in Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Cary) is more of a melting pot than us northerners. Sure, we talk the talk, but...?

Last edited by iluvmycuties; 04-06-2008 at 01:43 AM..

Old 04-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
But, c'mon, honestly...there isn't any diversity on Long Island. You have your pockets of black areas, and some Asian population, but there is no middle ground. Long Island is a vacuum, plain and simple.
Are you serious???

Long Island is pretty diverse these days.

As of 2006 according to the US Census Bureau Nassau County is 69% White and Suffolk is 74% White. Expect the White percentage to have declined a few points for both counties by the time the 2010 census figures are reported. Long Island is changing and becoming more diverse.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:09 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,606 times
I think what they were saying with that there are many different type people on the Island, but we live very segregated.

Long island is not a melting put but quilt. Many different colors and creeds, but very few mixing together. Having been other places LI is one of the most segregated place I have been.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:26 PM

Default I think segregation on LI is ending...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
I think what they were saying with that there are many different type people on the Island, but we live very segregated.

Long island is not a melting put but quilt. Many different colors and creeds, but very few mixing together. Having been other places LI is one of the most segregated place I have been.
I don't think you can honestly say LI is still that segregated. Just look at the data that I provided at the start of this thread. There are only Five school districts that are 95% plus White and only a few in the 90% plus range. Compare those stats to the 1960s, 1970s or even the 1980s and you can clearly see the magnitude of change in diversity that is now sweeping through Long Island.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:32 PM

In Levittown, dream realized for war hero's family -- Armed Forces, Long Island, Newsday -- Newsday.com (broken link)

Go to the above link. It just illustrates my point that Long Island is not as segregated anymore. Hispanics are moving into Levittown, especially the part zoned for Island Trees. Who would have thought that any non-whites would be living in Levittown 20 years ago. Also, take a look at Island Tree's school demographics - the White portion is steadily dropping. Now in the low 80% range. I expect Island Trees and for that matter Levittown to see ever more diversity as Hispanics from NYC discover Leviitowns bargain homes.

I will say this, Long Island is going to be ever more segregated based on class.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:01 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
In Levittown, dream realized for war hero's family -- Armed Forces, Long Island, Newsday -- Newsday.com (broken link)

Go to the above link. It just illustrates my point that Long Island is not as segregated anymore. Hispanics are moving into Levittown, especially the part zoned for Island Trees. Who would have thought that any non-whites would be living in Levittown 20 years ago. Also, take a look at Island Tree's school demographics - the White portion is steadily dropping. Now in the low 80% range. I expect Island Trees and for that matter Levittown to see ever more diversity as Hispanics from NYC discover Leviitowns bargain homes.

I will say this, Long Island is going to be ever more segregated based on class.

I live in the Levittown section of Island Trees and I do not notice a huge increase in Hispanics at all. All of Levittown has seen a little influx of Hispanics...Island Trees is only statiscally one percentage point lower in whites than Levittown schools, but keep in mind...Island Trees is a very small district compared to the huge Levittown SD..so there are actually less hispanics in Island Trees than Levittown schools mathematically.

The most hispanics in Levittown are by far found on the Division avenue side by Tri-county flea market.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:10 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
I don't think you can honestly say LI is still that segregated. Just look at the data that I provided at the start of this thread. There are only Five school districts that are 95% plus White and only a few in the 90% plus range. Compare those stats to the 1960s, 1970s or even the 1980s and you can clearly see the magnitude of change in diversity that is now sweeping through Long Island.
I forget where I read this, but it had to do with the "mortgage crisis". The article was something like 80% of the blacks on Long Island live in the same 6 or 7 towns/hamlets/villages. It then went on to say that 95% of subprime mortgages on Long Island were in these towns(but that is not the point of this post). I am going from memory, some my numbers may be off. But you get the gist of the article.

I know on the internet it is "no link, it did not happen". So, I will look for it later

Last edited by LIOC; 04-06-2008 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island