Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:58 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Unless selling for a corporate relo (where a third party buys and then resells your home) I don’t know why anyone would ever disclose in NY. $500 is ridiculously cheap “insurance” against all sorts of problems. I’m actually surprised it’s only $500.
This is a common misconception. If you are aware of a "material defect" in the home, you are required to disclose that to any potential buyer. Paying the $500 penalty does not relieve you of that obligation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 01:09 PM

22 posts, read 35,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
He absolutely broke the law. NYS Department of Labor would fine him out of business in a second. Possibly jail time.

Did he put you and your family at risk? Most likely, depending on how he removed them. With vinyl tile, the risk is low, IMOH.

The hazard to his workers is much greater since he probably does this on a regular basis.
He didn't put my family at risk. We weren't living there yet and didn't move in until many months later.

It was tile so he told me it wasn't that bad. I was really worried and felt guilty about his workers. They didn't demo with masks on and I would get to the construction site and ask about that. My contractor always brushed it off like it wasn't a big deal. Said his guys wouldn't wear masks even if he got it for them...

Old 02-27-2018, 05:45 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
He absolutely broke the law. NYS Department of Labor would fine him out of business in a second. Possibly jail time.

Did he put you and your family at risk? Most likely, depending on how he removed them. With vinyl tile, the risk is low, IMOH.

The hazard to his workers is much greater since he probably does this on a regular basis.
C’mon now. Imagine if every contractor abated asbestos “properly” in NY? The costs would be astronomical. Many now use cheap labor, undercutting legitimate businesses. So many building materials contained asbestos. No renovations would get done.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:56 AM

33 posts, read 45,299 times
We bought a house that was built in the late 60s. Under the carpets, it had black 9x9 tiles in many many locations. We didn't have it tested but we got many differing opinions as to if it was asbestos or not. We removed most of it ourselves. I thought they were glued down pretty secure but at the right angle, with the right tool they popped up whole. We had a few break but unless they are smashed and particles are airbourne, you will be ok to remove your tiles. Wear a mask to not breathe in whatever gets in the air.
I was told that as a homeowner, you can remove anything with no repercussions. Any company you hire would have to abate it properly but as a homeowner, you can remove them and discard them in bags on the curb for trash pickup. Seems bizarre but we did it. I mean it took like at least a jillion bags since its heavy and we put few tiles in each bag but we taped them closed and waited for the trash guy with a $50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island