U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 9,724 times

Advertisements

My family is considering moving to Nassau from NYC. Our kid has pretty significant developmental issues. A special need class of 12:1:4 would be appropriate for him when he enters kindergarten this fall. He also needs various therapies and related services. We are trying to locate a school district that offers the best programs for his needs, as well as a very good general ed program for his younger brother a few years down the road. Both my wife and I work in NYC so the commute to NYC is a consideration, although we are willing to move to wherever the schools are good. We have looked at Great Neck and Manhasset. Any input on the special ed programs for these school districts, or other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 10:08 PM

19 posts, read 246,465 times
I moved from Brookville to Manhasset four years ago because I was told they had a great Special Ed. I tried every way I know how to change the program it never happened. I could go on and on with a list of problems but I'm drained. Beware stay away!!!

What has happened over the last two years the area schools got together and decided to cut programs. Manhasset, Great Neck, Locust Valley and North Shore.

Good programs - Herricks, Plainview, Jericho (has a small program but will district out to Plainview and Herricks).

Hope this helps

Old 04-02-2008, 07:02 PM

68 posts, read 271,749 times
I heard Levittown has a good program, lots of options. Seaford not so many options, they have a self-contained class which I think is the 12:1:4 your looking for and a 6:1:1 .

Old 04-18-2008, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 9,724 times
Default Septa

Thank you so much for your input. In addition to special ed programs in the home school district, I also heard of the concept of BOCES, which covers those children with needs that are not being met by the district. I assume BOCES programs are more "restrictive" and probably for kids with more severe needs. Is approaching BOCES a realistic alternative? How much hurdle does one need to go through to get in? and how is the quality of BOCES' programs compared with the special ed programs offered by the towns that you all have kindly mentioned. Coming from NYC, they have a "District 75" program, which is essentially a non-district denominated program that caters to kids with more severe needs. Such programs are either housed as an independent units in certain regular public schools in NYC or stand-alone schools. Children who are D75 candidate will be placed to any of the D75 school based on their needs without being restricted by their home location. A 12:1:4 program for which my son is qualified in NYC is offered only through D75. It seems to me that BOCES is very similar to D75 in NYC. Any input will be great appreciated.

Last edited by amicourt; 04-18-2008 at 10:38 AM..

Old 04-18-2008, 02:49 PM

111 posts, read 394,079 times
From my experience and from what I hear from parents I would look into these SD's.
Also call the SD's SPE Dept and check out their website and go Septa meetings in that town.

Levittown
Half Hallow Hills
Commack
North Port
Herricks
Lindenhurst

Good Luck

Old 04-19-2008, 06:19 AM

Please go to Citi data forum - Best Special Ed Programs on Long Island - Page 17 a former teacher from Boces has written a very interestng post. From all information I have gathered these are true comments.

District 75 and Boces are about the same. I just can't figure out which is worse.

Private schools in the area are - SLCD - Glen Cove
Gersh - Glen Oaks
Variety - Syosset

Old 05-18-2008, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 9,533 times
Default Boces

Quote:
Originally Posted by amicourt View Post
Thank you so much for your input. In addition to special ed programs in the home school district, I also heard of the concept of BOCES, which covers those children with needs that are not being met by the district. I assume BOCES programs are more "restrictive" and probably for kids with more severe needs. Is approaching BOCES a realistic alternative? How much hurdle does one need to go through to get in? and how is the quality of BOCES' programs compared with the special ed programs offered by the towns that you all have kindly mentioned. Coming from NYC, they have a "District 75" program, which is essentially a non-district denominated program that caters to kids with more severe needs. Such programs are either housed as an independent units in certain regular public schools in NYC or stand-alone schools. Children who are D75 candidate will be placed to any of the D75 school based on their needs without being restricted by their home location. A 12:1:4 program for which my son is qualified in NYC is offered only through D75. It seems to me that BOCES is very similar to D75 in NYinput will be great appreciated.
BOCES is a cooperative association of all the school districts in either Nassau or Suffolk Counties. If your district school does not feel they have an appropritate program for your child the CSE can suggest you go check out programs available at the different BOCES location throughout the Counties.The school district sends out your child's packet, you do not apply directly to the school. The referral must come from the district school.
The school districts are permitted to suggest any school on the state ed. approved list, if you feel that there is a more appropriate placement and the school is not on the state approved list then you can file the necessary paper work and go to a hearring. At the CSE level the school district cannot recommend or approve placement in a non state ed. approved program.
All school districts develop different programs depending on the profile of the children in district. So some districts have 12:1:1, 8:1:2, 6:1:1, and many other options for placements and delivery of services.
Some of the suggested schools by other bloggers serve very different special ed. needs and I question their knowledge of these programs and the recommendations they have given you.
PS Special Ed. programs and services are only a small part of BOCES educational programs.
They offer career alternative programs, vocational program for students who don't necessarily want to attend college...ex. vet. tech, carpentry, hair and nail technology...etc. Some districts have BOCES run lifeskills program in their district school which are open to non district residence through BOCES registration.

Last edited by ABAmom; 05-18-2008 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 05-18-2008, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 9,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septamom View Post
I moved from Brookville to Manhasset four years ago because I was told they had a great Special Ed. I tried every way I know how to change the program it never happened. I could go on and on with a list of problems but I'm drained. Beware stay away!!!

What has happened over the last two years the area schools got together and decided to cut programs. Manhasset, Great Neck, Locust Valley and North Shore.

Good programs - Herricks, Plainview, Jericho (has a small program but will district out to Plainview and Herricks).

Hope this helps
I just moved to Manhasset for their special ed programs. I am curious as to why you are so unhappy with Manhasset's programs and if I should start worrying? What special ed. programs or services are being cut? I also don't understand the differences between the two parent special education group.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:38 PM

33 posts, read 148,810 times
FYI:While Rockville Centre is a lovely community with a 33 minute commute, our special ed is NON-EXISTENT! Oceanside, while not as pretty a town, had a great program. There is a part of RVC that goes to Oceanside schools which could work for you.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:27 PM

Dear ABAmom,

In answer to your question

1. It would take an act of God to get a one on one.

2. One on speech is almost if not impossible to get. It's group or push in to work with a group of classified children.

3. Programs once done iby the therpists in the home after school hours are now done in school in a group.

4. The number of classified children has increased on 2nd., 3rd. 4th, 5th and 6th grade levels while the number of pull-out teachers ( math and reading) and therapist have not.

5. OT is given to some children during their lunch hour.

First the child has to get to the lunchroom on time wait for the class to be called to purchase their lunch next they have to get to the front of the line, next they have to carry the tray to the OT room they finally have their lunch and lesson. Now they have to get back to the lunch room
to return the tray and meet up with their class all this in a half hour.

Like I said in my e-mail things have gotten much better but not for my childs grade level and it's change that my child cannot wait for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or