Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 12:32 AM

131 posts, read 132,372 times

Advertisements

Many municipalities, towns, villages, hamlets, business owners, neighbors, landlords, HOAs, etc. throughout Long Island as well as the world are in the process of switching over to LED lighting in hopes of achieving energy-efficiency, reducing crime and improving visibility for drivers, residents, pedestrians, etc.
Even though there is a reduction in lighting costs inherent with LEDs, what you're not being told is all of the negative effects on human health and well-being that are being sacrificed and the warnings are being dismissed by the conglomerates beginning with the manufacturers of these unhealthy lights and fixtures, the politicians, electric companies, council members and those looking to buy and sell these terrible lights with little knowledge of the harm they cause or willful ignorance of the facts.

Let's start with safety and reduction in crime. Crimes are committed at ANY time of the day or night and regardless of over-illumumination. It is a completely different thing to "feel" safe than to Actually be safe. I am not implying that we should live in the dark (even though, that would be the healthiest option) however, we could have sufficient light to see everything clearly without being blinded by glare caused by LED lighting that is way too bright and in a color temperature that exceeds 2700 - 3000 Kelvin (and it would be best to aim for 1800 - 2400 Kelvin). Now criminals are homo sapiens just like law abiding citizens so, their eye structure is the same as everyone else's. They Do Not posses superior night vision so, the concept of criminals function better in the dark is just not true.
Think about how many times you've seen the evening news and see burglaries, muggings and other crimes committed in the presence of bright lighting and highly visible security cameras. The best deterrence to crime is good policing and vigilance by neighbors and business owners. Not just one of those cute Neighborhood Crime Watch signs. Besides, when the lights are too bright, it creates shadows (hiding places) and your eyes are naturally drawn to the light that you could miss out on what's in the dark (crimimals, wild animals, etc.).

When lights are too bright and/or rich in blue light wavelengths, it causes glare to motorists and pedestrians alike therefore increasing the chances of an accident.

Now, human health and well-being ..., Many numerous studies have been done(AMA, for example) on the effects of excessively bright, unshielded and blue light wavelengths (over 2700 - 3000 Kelvin) on human health. It is shown to increase the incidences of insomnia, cancer, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, retinal damage over time. There is a reason in nature that we have a daytime and a nighttime. These lights that have excessive blue light wavelength emissions disrupt circadian rhythms by suppressing melatonin production therefore, it takes longer to fall asleep and/or get good quality sleep. Oh, and have I mentioned, they make life hell for migraine sufferers, people with bipolar disorder and even people with epilepsy.

If it does all of that to us, just try to imagine what it does to the natural world and ecosystems everywhere. Fireflies, Nocturnal Pollinators, Bees, nocturnal animals and insects, migrating and nesting birds, sea turtles, flora and fauna of all types. They also need a certain amount of darkness in order to function better.

On the subject of appeal. I know some people do indeed prefer these unhealthy lights however, most people will agree that they are unattractive. They destroy the charm and character of a neighborhood. They cast an ugly and unnatural glare/glow. The best colors for nighttime lighting are Amber, Yellow, Red, Orange and Very Soft and Warm White light(2700 Kelvin or less). These colors, when not being too bright and focused downward (we don't want to cause light trespass unto a neighbor's property) are easier on your eyes and have a further reach than eye-piercing super bright white bluish light.

I know that there is a lawsuit in Great Neck regarding the distress and anguish that the plantiff claims that these new LED streetlights have caused her. I, as well as many other people are in her corner.

In closing, I know there will be attacks on my character because people HATE hearing the truth, most prefer to stay brainwashed. I am not imagining all of this. If you don't believe me fine, just do yourself a favor and reasearch it for yourself.

Take care everyone and thank you for reading my post/thread.

Last edited by sonnyinmiami; 02-28-2018 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 02-28-2018, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,149 times
This is so true and I have been saying this for years:

[url]https://independent.academia.edu/ColinHenshaw[/url]

What is needed is a universal culture change in our attitudes to outdoor lighting, otherwise the situation is only going to get worse. Those involved in trafficking street lighting are simply out to make a profit, and couldn't care less about the harm it does to people and the environment. They will not self-regulate, and they think they know all the answers. In fact they don't. They use their position to con the general public and municipalities into believing all this lighting is necessary. Consequently we need stringent anti-light pollution legislation on a global scale.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:20 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
We should go back to candles and torches. Oil filled streetlights.
I'd be cool with that.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:53 AM

731 posts, read 725,077 times
geez....how about a dusk to dawn curfew so no lights would be needed.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:14 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Henshaw View Post
This is so true and I have been saying this for years:

https://independent.academia.edu/ColinHenshaw

What is needed is a universal culture change in our attitudes to outdoor lighting, otherwise the situation is only going to get worse. Those involved in trafficking street lighting are simply out to make a profit, and couldn't care less about the harm it does to people and the environment. They will not self-regulate, and they think they know all the answers. In fact they don't. They use their position to con the general public and municipalities into believing all this lighting is necessary. Consequently we need stringent anti-light pollution legislation on a global scale.
Wow, first post in the middle of the night and you just happened to be posting about the same thing as the OP. How coincidental!

Old 02-28-2018, 05:33 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Solution. Move to the forest, the highest point, put up a solar panel and hope for sun to heat your shower water. Oh yes, don't rely on your cell phone either. Radio waves in them. Last but of advise, try sleep.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:50 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
This wont be a problem anymore once China & Russia hack our infrastructure and power grid.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:51 AM

592 posts, read 919,838 times
Granular NIMBYism

Old 02-28-2018, 06:02 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
OP needs to go play under the High Power Wires...

Old 02-28-2018, 06:36 AM

345 posts, read 338,839 times
holy crap.

I want your life if this is what is keeping you up at night. get a life, dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island