Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 09:17 AM

8,797 posts, read 21,192,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Schmitters View Post
Interesting, thanks for your contribution! According to the crime map I use, there is a small crime patch right in North Massapequa, spanning from N. Bay Ave to just about the preserve, between N Beech/N Pine Streets and N Hickory. Also, East Massapequa boarders South Amityville, which has some homes your neighbors probably couldn't afford! Lastly, North Massapequa can also be close to South Farmingdale, so much for your "one town away from any bad town" mantra!

There are very few towns that aren't at all touching high crime areas. Plainview and Upper Brookville maybe...
That is totally untrue. There are no high crime areas in The Three Village area,
none near Roslyn Harbor or Muttontown. East Marion , Sag Harbor , Babylon Village :
none of these are close to what you describe as "crime patches".

Your posts are extremely offensive.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 09:42 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,943,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

Old 03-15-2018, 10:12 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,789,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
you were worried about crime in Deer Park?
Wyandanch/Wheatley Heights are the neighboring towns you know. Right off Straight Path.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:37 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,553,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscotto183 View Post
I live in North Massapequa (plainedge) too and to me the self absorbed, racist, nut jobs makes living in this "safe" neighborhood waaaaaay less appealing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
I did not grow up in the area, so this is a genuine question. Why do feel this way about the residents here? I have never encountered anyone who struck me as any one those things (except maybe self-absorbed, but that's anyone from NYC/LI.) I wonder if it's just the abundance of Trump and MAGA signs that would lead people to jump to such a sweeping conclusion.

Not too long ago she asked questions about P'edge. How can someone live in such a relatively small community and have no clue whatsoever? Perhaps because she doesn't really live there? Or perhaps lives in a neighboring community,

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-question.html

1/10/2018 she was asking about property tax grievances and mentioned TOH rates trying to determine what her assessment should be. Plainedge abuts TOH but is not in the TOH.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:43 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,883,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
It was a concern for us when we were looking at Dix Hills / Deer Park. Carlls Straight Path was a known issue road and one house we looked at was only a couple blocks from it. We decided against it.
Parts of actual "Straight Path" in Wyandanch are known to be problematic. This is not to be confused with "Carls Straight Path". These are two totally different roads.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:21 AM

149 posts, read 314,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
It was a concern for us when we were looking at Dix Hills / Deer Park. Carlls Straight Path was a known issue road and one house we looked at was only a couple blocks from it. We decided against it.
Carlls Straight Path is not a "known issue road". Are you thinking about Straight Path?

Old 03-15-2018, 12:44 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,789,376 times
Yes, it wasn't Carlls Straight Path, but Straight Path. The Deer Park house was a couple blocks from it. Sorry it's been over a decade.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:14 PM

59 posts, read 60,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Not too long ago she asked questions about P'edge. How can someone live in such a relatively small community and have no clue whatsoever? Perhaps because she doesn't really live there? Or perhaps lives in a neighboring community,

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-question.html

1/10/2018 she was asking about property tax grievances and mentioned TOH rates trying to determine what her assessment should be. Plainedge abuts TOH but is not in the TOH.
First of all Ive lived in plainedge for the past 11 years. second of all Im moving from Plainedge to East Northport, the town of huntington part. so when i wrote TOH I meant town of Huntington not Town of Hempstead, Plainedge isnt even in town of hempstead, its in town of oyster bay. Also, if i was asking about grieving taxes in plainedge i would have written Nassau not TOH because tax grievences are done through the county not through the town. I was asking about grieving taxes in town of Huntington for when I move.

Thirdly, I did ask a question previously about drug problems in the HS. My kids are really young so they are not in the high school. I was curious about the place im currently living.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:19 PM

59 posts, read 60,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
I did not grow up in the area, so this is a genuine question. Why do feel this way about the residents here? I have never encountered anyone who struck me as any one those things (except maybe self-absorbed, but that's anyone from NYC/LI.) I wonder if it's just the abundance of Trump and MAGA signs that would lead people to jump to such a sweeping conclusion.

Plainedge is very small. It's the kind of place where A LOT of the residence grew up here and now are raising their families here. In my 11 years of living here I've come to the conclusion that its not exactly the most welcoming place for outsiders. People here like to stick to the people who they've know all their lives. If you don't fall in line with the standard here its hard to feel a part of the community. That was the nice way of putting it.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:48 PM

418 posts, read 364,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
That is totally untrue. There are no high crime areas in The Three Village area,
none near Roslyn Harbor or Muttontown. East Marion , Sag Harbor , Babylon Village :
none of these are close to what you describe as "crime patches".

You have to be a millionaire a few times over to live in the towns you mentioned. I should hope they'd be incubated from high crime areas with the price tag they come with. The rest of us will have to make harder decisions and weigh pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island