Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:13 PM

97 posts, read 311,035 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to have a child within the next year or so. One major roadblock is the cost of childcare though..we've looked at a few places - it seems like a freaking monthly mortgage payment! How do you guys (new homeowners that is) afford it? Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 03:46 PM

169 posts, read 672,505 times
Default Day Car

Not to sound silly or mean but planning ahead and budgeting always helps.
Don't move to an area of you can't afford all your monthly expenses + some.

2k for mortgage + 1k Taxes + $600 bills + 1.5k day care + 1k other expenses...it's easy enough to do the math

Old 01-11-2010, 03:48 PM

748 posts, read 2,876,531 times
There are cheaper day cares in Queens and Commack. Tree of Life in Commack is only 700 a month. I have heard about people paying 800 a month in parts of Queens. But I pay 1300, so can't help you in Nassau.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:06 PM

465 posts, read 1,701,612 times
$1200-1300/mo is the going rate in Huntington area for infants, toddler is slightly less.

OP, decide where you want to send your future child in advance of birth, and leave a deposit to hold their place, usually the desirable places have waiting lists.

Tree of Life in Commack looks interesting, does anyone send their child there? Reviews/opinions? long waiting list?
$700/mo seems to good to be true for certified NYS daycare, well at least for LI.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:02 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,627,389 times
I don't know if it's doable for you, but the way we handled it was I stayed home full time with the kids, and we had zero spending money left over.

With me staying home we were in a lower tax bracket, I was a "dependent" on our taxes, plus we didn't have to pay for any child care. We also had lots of trouble finding a reliable babysitter for the occasional outing, so we didn't hire any and passed by a few things, so we saved there too.

Staying home being chief caretaker is a tough, monotonous, thankless job. Money was tight, but we managed to always be able to pay the bills. And the big bonus was I got to raise our kids - something I didn't want a stranger to do.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:11 AM

964 posts, read 2,453,301 times
Andrea's right. Why make a quasi mortgage payment to a daycare if you can stay home yourself? Sure, you might in the end make slightly more than you spend on daycare, but is it really worth it to have strangers raising your kids?

I understand not everyone can do this financially, but if you can, I'd highly recommend letting mom stay home (or dad if he isn't the primary breadwinner).

Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 AM

13,506 posts, read 16,949,894 times
The tutor times are around 1K a month or so, and I work with people who've sent multiple kids through there and love them. It's the major cost of having a child if you cant' afford to live here on one salary, and most people can't.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 AM

654 posts, read 2,111,007 times
MY nephew goes to Tree of Life in Commack. Tuition is up to 750 now but it is still a bargain. The teachers stick around, not a big turnover rate. The facilities are not brand new state of the art like Tutortime but it is a great place that is caring and with a lto of learning going on.

My brothers sister-in-law uses a live-in nanny Monday-Fri. The pay her a very small salary due to the fact that she lives there for free. Weekends she goes from friend to friend. Her nanny before that stayed all week. Maybe this could be an option for you until your baby gets older. I know the tuition is more the younger they are.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:26 AM

748 posts, read 2,876,531 times
I read somewhere that the break-even point is about 60k salary for the mom. If the mom ( or dad) makes less than 60k, and the family has 2 young kids that need to be sent to day-care, its financially better for mom/dad to stay at home and take care of the kids. Stay-at-home parents can also take advantage of day-time library programs, nursery schools and play areas like the children's museum that charge very little membership fees and tons of other activities like mom's meetups etc.

Take a look at library programs for toddlers. There are few programs in weekends or evenings. Jericho library has about 4-5 programs every month that I could take my kid too.. but other libraries have none or just 1 a month.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:46 AM

231 posts, read 957,183 times
Day care also kills you with the extratime fees - most standard rates that I looked at for my son applied to 8am - 5pm. If you need to drop off earlier or pick up later the extra charges add up to a couple thousand a year. Flexible job hours can help out big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island