Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 08:35 AM

59 posts, read 60,763 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what a school superintendent's salary is based on? I'm currently in Plainedge, probably one of the smallest districts on long island and the superintendent Edwards Salinas is one of the highest paid on LI ($385,000/year). I don't understand it. Plainedge sports get heavily funded, the superintendent gets paid a lot, yet the district makes it very hard to get special educational services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 08:38 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscotto183 View Post
Does anyone know what a school superintendent's salary is based on? I'm currently in Plainedge, probably one of the smallest districts on long island and the superintendent Edwards Salinas is one of the highest paid on LI ($385,000/year). I don't understand it. Plainedge sports get heavily funded, the superintendent gets paid a lot, yet the district makes it very hard to get special educational services.
What's on the school lunch menu for today, wagyu?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-22-2018, 08:39 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Direct negotiations with the local school board. Nothing at all to do with the size of the district or availability of special education services.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Direct negotiations with the local school board. Nothing at all to do with the size of the district or availability of special education services.

Well then the school board is filled with idiots.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:51 AM

731 posts, read 724,185 times
These guys usually hire school admin lawyer John Gross who the Scott Boras of school admin lawyers and plays local BOEs like a fine fiddle and convinces them that their candidate is a home run.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:04 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Any candidate for a superintendent already knows the salaries of the other superintendents. So right off the bat, you start high. Then if the school district has any special deficiencies that the candidate has previously dealt with in another district, he/she is golden. Given the salaries of some of the teachers you really don't think anyone in their right mind would take less than the highest paid teacher to run the district do you?

Welcome to school district's version of powerball.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:14 AM

I guess i should place all the blame on the school board then. The taxes here are so high and it seems like the school resources are so little.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:16 AM

20,021 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Suckers.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:20 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
I guess i should place all the blame on the school board then. The taxes here are so high and it seems like the school resources are so little.
Just curious, what do you feel the deficiencies in term of school resources are? Please understand that I am not arguing your point which is a valid one, I'm just wondering where you see deficiencies.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Just curious, what do you feel the deficiencies in term of school resources are? Please understand that I am not arguing your point which is a valid one, I'm just wondering where you see deficiencies.

when my niece was younger (also at plainedge) she was struggling and the elementary school refused to give her extra help because they said she didn't score low enough ( i dont remember what kind of testing it was). eventually they moved to a different school district and they gave her the help she needed to catch up and she's doing better academically. To me it seems like plainedge just does the bare minimum when it comes to helping the kids academically.

Oh yea and i forget, the district renovated the football field recently. like that was really necessary above everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island