Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:09 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Just because a kid doesn't mow the lawn doesn't make him/her lazy. Different families have different values...it doesn't make one right or wrong. Why is it wrong that a family would rather have their kids focusing on education, volunteering in the community, excelling at sports, etc. than doing yardwork? I know many, many kids who rarely, if ever, do chores around the house because they are so busy with other activities. They ARE NOT as you say FAT, UNMOTIVATED children. They are very motivated & productive and I'm sure some of them WILL end up running this country someday.

You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine. I know a few families that TRULY have children that are so immersed in productive, life enhancing activities that they don't have time for chores and for that I applaud them as well as their parents. However most of the families I know of that SAY their kids are too busy would just like to believe that but its bull, the kids are hanging out all afternoon or sitting on the computer or playing x-box and sleeping till noon on weekends while Mom & Dad work 10 hour days to pay for text messaging, SUVs, take-out, all of their other crap and a lawn service.
If you have found a neighborhood much different than that on LI I'd be very surprised.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:19 PM

16 posts, read 91,175 times
My gripe with landscapers is when they blow the leaves and grass clipings into the street and don't bother to pick them up.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:38 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
That is something I could live with, it's just those damn leaf blowers for the leaves, I mean, I don't care what anyone says, they are ridiculously annoying, and actually witnessing a group of 5 illegal immigrants with leaf blowers blazing on a teeny tiny front lawn is rather amusing. They act like they are Jedi Knights the way they whip those things around, and really, for every 1 leaf they actually blow around, they cause 10 minutes of noise pollution.

The actual mowing is bad, but nothing compared to the constant on/off/on/off of those blowers. As I am writing this right now, there is a group of at least 10 of them blowing/mowing/making noise right across the street from my house. Those houses have properties of 40x80 and that is being generous. One of them has no lawn at all in their yard! and just because there are 10 of them, don't think they get the job done any faster, they just run into each other all the time cause the properties are so small!
I love how you know that all five people were "illegals."
People love to throw that word around without really knowing whether or not a person was born here.

That said, I do have to agree that if you have a small "postage-sized" lawn and are not disabled, you should tend to your own lawn.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:39 PM

245 posts, read 298,585 times
Default Someone died...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Can someone explain to me why I am seeing hundreds of landscaping trucks each day? It seems the minute spring arrives they are out, using leafblowers, often more than 5 at once, giving me a headache. What is there to blow around? LI'ers have to be the laziest people around. Not many people must be struggling if they can hire a bunch of amigos to blow dirt around.
Please dont hire landscapers. They use illegals, and you bring them to LI when you hire them. You make the buses more jam packed up so I have to walk home, and contibute to noise and air pollution.
Do your own damn lawn!
Someone died of some tragic disease in the time it took you to complain about "amigos" cutting lawns. It makes me think that maybe, just maybe, there are more important things in this world to fret about.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:46 PM

208 posts, read 913,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
I love how you know that all five people were "illegals."
People love to throw that word around without really knowing whether or not a person was born here.

That said, I do have to agree that if you have a small "postage-sized" lawn and are not disabled, you should tend to your own lawn.
Well, if they weren't illegals, I am sure I can think of a few other jobs they would rather do then mow and landscape other people's properties. I don't think they're in it for the "physical fitness" part of it.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:48 PM

208 posts, read 913,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
Someone died of some tragic disease in the time it took you to complain about "amigos" cutting lawns. It makes me think that maybe, just maybe, there are more important things in this world to fret about.
What if someone died from being in an accident with a landscaping truck because the driver was distracted by the four other people sharing the cab with him?

Old 03-26-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
What if someone died from being in an accident with a landscaping truck because the driver was distracted by the four other people sharing the cab with him?
Amen to that, or how about the horror of having a landscaper fall off of the pile of leaves he's sitting on in the bed & land on your windsheild....would that be worth fretting over?

Old 03-26-2008, 02:25 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
This arguement is going everwhere. I am totally insulted that you actually say that children are lazy, spoiled etc. Not all of them are!! My 9 year son cant wait to work and earn some money ; that time cannot come quick enough.

However, in my development, most of the kids stay indoors. I send mine outdoors. They are probably the only children on this street that actually play ball outdoors, that play with bikes, that just are children.

However, as I work from home, my dh works 50 hours a week, we just do not have the time to spend cutting the lawn. We would prefer to go camping with our children, or go hiking or something and am willing to pay someone to cut the lawn that will free up our stressful lives.

So for those who are willing to cut lawns ; will you do it for someone other than yourself.
d

Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
This arguement is going everwhere. I am totally insulted that you actually say that children are lazy, spoiled etc. Not all of them are!! My 9 year son cant wait to work and earn some money ; that time cannot come quick enough.

However, in my development, most of the kids stay indoors. I send mine outdoors. They are probably the only children on this street that actually play ball outdoors, that play with bikes, that just are children.

However, as I work from home, my dh works 50 hours a week, we just do not have the time to spend cutting the lawn. We would prefer to go camping with our children, or go hiking or something and am willing to pay someone to cut the lawn that will free up our stressful lives.

So for those who are willing to cut lawns ; will you do it for someone other than yourself.
d
dorothy-you mentioned your child is eager to work, I'm sure as he gets older he will contribute because of the way you raised him. Having your lawn mowed by a lawn service doesn't make you a bad person....I didn't mean to imply that or insult you. You've mentioned many times that your children enjoy nature & your family is very active. I respect that. My comments were directed more at people like your neighbors, that allow their children to sit inside all day. Plenty of kids in my neighborhood do yardwork, they help clean up our beaches and many other things, parents here expect it. Unfortunately, I still know lots of kids that don't.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:48 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
they are ridiculously annoying, and actually witnessing a group of 5 illegal immigrants with leaf blowers blazing on a teeny tiny front lawn is rather amusing.
and you know that they are illegal immigrants because .......

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island