Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,499 times

Advertisements

Between reading previous posts regarding relocation advice and my first Long Island experience, I am becoming increasingly worried about my big move. I work for a v.c. firm in Chicago and almost everyone here (except me) has lived in NY (Manhattan). Having never been to Long Island before I didn't understand why the former New Yorkers laughed when I told them my fiance' had been transferred to his company's Long Island territory.

I have lived on Chicago's North Shore my entire life and my fiance' is from Philadelphia's Main Line, so we are un-phased by Long Island's pricey real estate and high taxes. Our bigger concern is finding a "right fit" community. If you are familiar with Chicago's North Shore or Philadelphia's Main Line, you may understand what we are looking for. If you are unfamiliar with either area, we are looking for a nice town, on or near the water (North Shore preferably), with a charming downtown with quality shops and restaurants. We care very much that people maintain their properties - nicely landscaped yards, homes in excellent condition, no tacky lawn ornaments etc. We very strongly favor community ordinances that prohibit loud mufflers, loud audio systems in cars, etc. We are in our 20's and enjoy golf, tennis, rowing, sailing, and riflery. We would like to live in a community where these activities are prevalent so we may network through our hobbies. If you have any ideas please post a reply!

Note: I have already experienced the Long Island stereotype in full force, so there is no need to be offensive or "warn" me about what I will find on the Island. Please limit your comments to constructive advice on which communities may best suit my fiance' and I. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 04:01 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,734 times
I'm originally from Chicago, so I am very familiar with the north shore suburbs there!! I have to tell you, Long Island's north shore is comparable to Chicago's and in fact I would say parts of it are considerably nicer. I think you would love Cold Spring Harbor...its on the water & has an adorable Main Street. In fact, I was dead set against ever moving to LI until I saw Cold Spring Harbor's Main St...its very similar to the cute upscale Main Streets I was used to in Chicago that are so hard to find on LI. CSH's Main Street is small, but that's not a problem because there are so many other places to go nearby for restaurants & shopping. A lot of the other north shore towns are very nice too, but most of them don't have Main Street areas. But they are worth looking at unless you really want a Main Street that's walking distance.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:11 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Locust Valley

You may want to consider the Hamlet of Locust Valley and the several adjoining villages (Matinecock, Lattingtown and Mill Neck) that share the same postal zone ("Locust Valley, NY 11560").

For those who may not be familiar with Locust Valley:

Locust Valley is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northern part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the north-central part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Locust Valley in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Village of Matinecock, the Village of Lattingtown, the Village of Mill Neck and Beaver Lake; on the east by the Village of Mill Neck; on the south by the Village of Matinecock and the City of Glen Cove; and, on the west by the City of Glen Cove.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/Locust-valley-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Locust Valley is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the hamlet: places that have a "Locust Valley, NY 11560" mailing address but are not in the Hamlet of Locust Valley are in the Village of Lattingtown, the Village of Mill Neck and the Village of Matinecock.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-26-2008, 06:26 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Cold Spring Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I think you would love Cold Spring Harbor...its on the water & has an adorable Main Street.

For those who may not be familiar with Cold Spring Harbor:

Cold Spring Harbor is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northwest part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County, along the Huntington/Oyster Bay town line and the Suffolk/Nassau county line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Village of Lloyd Harbor; on the east by the Hamlet of Huntington and the Hamlet of Huntington Station; on the south by the Hamlet of West Hills; and, on the west by the Village of Laurel Hallow in the Town of Oyster Bay in Nassau County (the Huntington/Oyster Bay town line and the Suffolk/Nassau County line) and the Cold Spring Harbor.

Cold Spring Harbor is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name in their mailing address are not in the hamlet: places that have a "Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor are in the Village of Lloyd Harbor and the Hamlet of West Hills in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County as well as parts of the Village of Laurel Hollow in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County. (The world-famous Cold Spring Harbor Lab is actually in the Village of Laurel Hollow in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and not in the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County.)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-26-2008, 07:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
What town in LI will your fiance be working in? Where will you work? In Manhattan or LI? This information is good to know so that we may take your commutes into account when suggesting a place to live.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 8,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What town in LI will your fiance be working in? Where will you work? In Manhattan or LI? This information is good to know so that we may take your commutes into account when suggesting a place to live.
My fiance works from home, and his territory technically covers all of Long Island as well as parts of CT and Manhattan, but those trips will be infrequent. He will need to attend meetings in the Stony Brook area on a weekly basis.

I have a job offer in Purchase, NY, but that seems a little far for a commute from LI. Thoughts? Working from home is an option for me, but I thrive in office environments so I will be seeking out job opportunities near wherever it is my fiance and I move to. My commute now takes less than 30 minutes total between a five minute walk to the train, 20 minute express train ride, and then a 2 minute walk to my office. I LOVE not having to drive in rush hour traffic, it allows me to start and end my day without stress and I am always on time because the train is never late. This might be a mythical commute for New Yorkers, but I would like to try very hard to make it a reality.

Last edited by Dane1012; 03-26-2008 at 11:48 PM..

Old 03-27-2008, 06:29 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
So it sounds like the North Shore of LI is for you! There are plenty of great towns as long as you can afford it. Both Suffolk and Nassau North shores will fit you well. Cold Spring Harbor is a great idea. So is Northport, Roslyn,Oyster Bay & Oyster Bay Cove. Possibly Manhasset and Stony Brook. Really there are too many to list. There are many more exclusive towns located near these but get ultra pricey! Old field, Lattingtown, Old Brookville etc.

Don't listen to Ex Manhattanites! Let them laugh. They think that if you don't work in Manhattan, your job must be worthless! Well if they were so good and important, why are they in Chicago? (It defies thier own weird logic!)

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,884 times
Default If you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane1012 View Post
My fiance works from home, and his territory technically covers all of Long Island as well as parts of CT and Manhattan, but those trips will be infrequent. He will need to attend meetings in the Stony Brook area on a weekly basis.

I have a job offer in Purchase, NY, but that seems a little far for a commute from LI. Thoughts? Working from home is an option for me, but I thrive in office environments so I will be seeking out job opportunities near wherever it is my fiance and I move to. My commute now takes less than 30 minutes total between a five minute walk to the train, 20 minute express train ride, and then a 2 minute walk to my office. I LOVE not having to drive in rush hour traffic, it allows me to start and end my day without stress and I am always on time because the train is never late. This might be a mythical commute for New Yorkers, but I would like to try very hard to make it a reality.
If the overriding need is to be at Stony Brook on a consistent basis then you are in luck in my mind because you can consider north shore communities a little further east. I would look into St. James and Stony Brook itself. Maybe Fort Salonga a little further west as well as Northport, which might be exactly what you seek. The Township of Smithtown (maybe try Smithtown proper) has golf course communities run by the town as well as a number of the activities you are seeking. As for Purchase, you would have to home office it because the commute itself would be pretty rough. But being in an area like Northport Village (or even Centerport) would leave you within a very commutable distance to the 110 corridor which is Long Island's main business hub. As for the chuckles of your Chicago colleagues, Long Island has some of the nicest and most exclusive communities in the country, as well as more traditional working class areas with some of the stereotypes they are presuming. I have live/worked in Manhattan as well as the island and will take my suburban commute over the train any day. Good luck to you.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:04 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
So it sounds like the North Shore of LI is for you! There are plenty of great towns as long as you can afford it. Both Suffolk and Nassau North shores will fit you well. Cold Spring Harbor is a great idea. So is Northport, Roslyn,Oyster Bay & Oyster Bay Cove. Possibly Manhasset and Stony Brook. Really there are too many to list. There are many more exclusive towns located near these but get ultra pricey! Old field, Lattingtown, Old Brookville etc.

Don't listen to Ex Manhattanites! Let them laugh. They think that if you don't work in Manhattan, your job must be worthless! Well if they were so good and important, why are they in Chicago? (It defies thier own weird logic!)

Good luck!
I agree...

I would also add the Manhasset area to the list. Munsey Park and Flower Hill (part Man part Port Washington, even part Roslyn schools) are great. Nice little downtown, close to Great Neck and Port Washington (nice downtowns) as well as the Americana Manhasset and other shopping along Northern Blvd.

I have a bias towards Garden City, too, but not 100% sure this makes the most sense for you. You can search some of my posts to see why I love the town.

I would also check out the Huntington area, like many have said, with Cold Spring Harbor, Northport, and Harborfields being the most reputable schools in the area. All 3 towns have nice downtowns.

I don't think you should go further east than Northport b/c the commute on the days you go to Purchase would be too long. Just so you know, I have a friend the goes from Westbury to Greenwich each day and it's not the end of the world...take them about 45 min or so.

Good luck. I appreciate your asking for facts, not rants, and that you are giving the area a fair shot and not listening to some Manhattan people that forget that the Hamptons are, in fact, on Long Island (though that's the only "worthy" place here).

Old 03-27-2008, 02:13 PM

175 posts, read 657,285 times
Cold Spring Harbor or Centerport seem like good fits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island