Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 12:55 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The problem with either of the towns is it's all pretty much back roads to Garden City. Where in GC is the job? Is it in the village or is more in East Garden City? It will make a big difference how close the job is to, say, the Meadowbrook Parkway.

One thing you should be aware of is the sentiment already expressed in this thread - homeschooling is not popular on Long Island and the extracurriculars for homeschoolers that are available in other parts of the country will be few and far between there.
Does anyone know if there are school districts that are more open to home schooled students participating in extracurricular activities? I ask because I believe that is the case for select states(i.e.-former NFL player Jason Taylor was home schooled from grades 10-12, but played Football at Woodland Hills HS in the Pittsburgh area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 01:11 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,202,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBraley View Post
We are a young family moving to LI looking for a long term rental in a safe area. School district and proximity to LIRR is NOT important since we will be homeschooling and using our own transportation. My husband will be working in Garden City and will be commuting by car. Could I get suggestions for neighborhoods to the North, East and possibly South of Garden City within ~25 driving minutes. We prefer to be closer to Suffolk County. I'm not sure of realistic commute times in that area though I have an idea we don't want to go much farther East than Huntington based on google maps? We hope to not spend more than $2800 a month and would prefer a single family rental or legal duplex. I've read through many forums and searched but so many families were looking for good school district neighborhoods and we hope we can get a better value in a less desirable school district? Ideals but not necessities would be nearby safe/well kept parks, libraries, Whole Foods/Trader Joe's type grocery stores, and local shops. Open to any and all advice regarding renting on LI and if we need to adjust our expectations or housing budget. Also if someone wanted to shed light on neighborhoods to AVOID that are affected by this toxic plume I'm reading about that would be spectacular. Thanks so much!
If you are on Facebook - do a search something like Long Island rentals and you will find a few groups and pages dedicated to rental apartment and homes on Long Island. You can post your query there and will probably get a few realistic options. Good luck. Welcome to the Island.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:19 PM

7 posts, read 5,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The problem with either of the towns is it's all pretty much back roads to Garden City. Where in GC is the job? Is it in the village or is more in East Garden City? It will make a big difference how close the job is to, say, the Meadowbrook Parkway.

One thing you should be aware of is the sentiment already expressed in this thread - homeschooling is not popular on Long Island and the extracurriculars for homeschoolers that are available in other parts of the country will be few and far between there.
The job is right off the Meadowbrook pkwy near Roosevelt Fields Mall. That is helpful to know regarding homeschooling. We have the flexibility to be in Long Island for anywhere from just a couple years to forever if we love it, and homeschooling culture will play into that.

I'm reading positive things about Mineola and Westbury. We may explore there more since it seems like anything outside of that radius has a longer commute than we want.

I've also looked into Bellmore, Freeport etc, since the commute seems to be faster than to the North. But I'm wary of flooding/weather - but since we're renting not buying, would it be worth it to look predominantly south? The value seems to be better.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 5,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
If you are on Facebook - do a search something like Long Island rentals and you will find a few groups and pages dedicated to rental apartment and homes on Long Island. You can post your query there and will probably get a few realistic options. Good luck. Welcome to the Island.
Thank you! I'll do that.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:17 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Mineola would be a good choice, if you can find a rental in your budget. Close to everything including the train if you want to go into the city.

You'll likely find very little homeschooling culture outside very (very) religious groups.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:18 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Does anyone know if there are school districts that are more open to home schooled students participating in extracurricular activities? I ask because I believe that is the case for select states(i.e.-former NFL player Jason Taylor was home schooled from grades 10-12, but played Football at Woodland Hills HS in the Pittsburgh area).

Here in NC there are homeschool sports teams (my son's HS baseball team plays a homeschool team every year) and the town I live in has classes and camps that cater to homeschoolers.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:46 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I brought up the home schooling issue because as others said, it's not very popular on Long Island or really anywhere in the NYC area. Usually it's for religious reasons or because the child has social issues. However, there are a few Long Island home school groups. It's just that it is a small minority and I posted those links above to show that the state has more mandates for homeschooled kids than other states, e.g. providing progress reports to the school district at determined dates during the school year, providing a very detailed curriculum to the school district, restrictions from participating in home district school and after-school activities, etc. This is not common in other states. However, your children are very young and it's too soon to be concerned about it. Be careful about town names because there are subsections that have very different cultures. For example, New Cassel is part of Westbury and Old Westbury is part of Westbury, but the 2 neighborhoods couldn't be more different. BTW, the Westbury school district has a poor reputation and on Long Island, School District is what matters and is a reflection of the character/make up of the neighborhood, in general.

Honestly, in other parts of the country, if you mention that you homeschool your child, no one will think it's unusual or odd. Here, if you declare that you homeschool, the unsaid thought will be "there's something odd/wrong/weird with that child/family" or that your child can't handle public school.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:54 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Good values to be found in Hempstead Village. Wyandanch might be a bit far.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:30 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBraley View Post
The job is right off the Meadowbrook pkwy near Roosevelt Fields Mall. That is helpful to know regarding homeschooling. We have the flexibility to be in Long Island for anywhere from just a couple years to forever if we love it, and homeschooling culture will play into that.

I'm reading positive things about Mineola and Westbury. We may explore there more since it seems like anything outside of that radius has a longer commute than we want.

I've also looked into Bellmore, Freeport etc, since the commute seems to be faster than to the North. But I'm wary of flooding/weather - but since we're renting not buying, would it be worth it to look predominantly south? The value seems to be better.
You don't want Freeport or Westbury.

Bellmore & Mineola are solid.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:33 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I brought up the home schooling issue because as others said, it's not very popular on Long Island or really anywhere in the NYC area. Usually it's for religious reasons or because the child has social issues. However, there are a few Long Island home school groups. It's just that it is a small minority and I posted those links above to show that the state has more mandates for homeschooled kids than other states, e.g. providing progress reports to the school district at determined dates during the school year, providing a very detailed curriculum to the school district, restrictions from participating in home district school and after-school activities, etc. This is not common in other states. However, your children are very young and it's too soon to be concerned about it. Be careful about town names because there are subsections that have very different cultures. For example, New Cassel is part of Westbury and Old Westbury is part of Westbury, but the 2 neighborhoods couldn't be more different. BTW, the Westbury school district has a poor reputation and on Long Island, School District is what matters and is a reflection of the character/make up of the neighborhood, in general.

Honestly, in other parts of the country, if you mention that you homeschool your child, no one will think it's unusual or odd. Here, if you declare that you homeschool, the unsaid thought will be "there's something odd/wrong/weird with that child/family" or that your child can't handle public school.
The schools are LI are so good there really isn't a need to homeschool...

We have some of the best schools in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island