Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 11:13 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,045,423 times

Advertisements

Most Nassau school districts are well rated. There are large Jewish populations in Merrick-Bellmore and Hewlett-Woodmere, and a smaller population in East Meadow. How old are your kids? There's a great Reform synagogue in Wantagh where a bulk of Jews from Wantagh, Seaford, EM, Levittown and Massapequa attend. All of those districts are solid.

But we need more info to make a recommendation: price point, preferred commuting time, what specific factors you think make a "good" school...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 01:38 PM

37 posts, read 47,169 times
well our budget has changed from what we thought after looking around and it will depend if we buy a new house or fix one up.
i did mean judiasm and some of the neighborhoods that i listed are either orthodox or have changed over the years.
we are looking for a neighborhood where there are good schools and our child can grow with diversity but not feel like we are a minority.
is there a difference between north merrick and south merrick

Old 04-23-2018, 03:54 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,307,173 times
What? Rocky Point wasn't mentioned?

Old 04-23-2018, 06:04 PM

11,543 posts, read 12,569,701 times
Don't rule out Hewlett. The schools have some diversity (Italian, Asian (growing), small minority of African-American and Latino). It's not all religious and there's secular, Russians, Americans, and Israelis. Good public schools. There's different levels of affluence with the most affluent in Hewlett Neck and Hewlett Bay Park and with that comes the snootiness that gives the Five Towns a bad rep. Parts of Woodmere also feed into Hewlett School district. Unfortunately, any affluent area, no matter the culture, has a population of people with an attitude. What about Port Washington?

Old 04-24-2018, 09:22 AM

4,690 posts, read 8,712,059 times
why are you excluding so many areas right off the bat? If you're not going to give a specific budget, can you at least give a range? The more details you can provide, the better advice you'll get.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:34 AM

we excluded areas bc as i said they were either orthodox or the demographics changed. My budget was around $800k but we might have to go higher than that unless we want to do alot of work.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:43 AM

4,690 posts, read 8,712,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky11 View Post
we excluded areas bc as i said they were either orthodox or the demographics changed.
are either of these reasons really the case in Massapequa, Jericho, Syosset, or Manhasset?

Old 04-24-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky11 View Post
well our budget has changed from what we thought after looking around and it will depend if we buy a new house or fix one up.
i did mean judiasm and some of the neighborhoods that i listed are either orthodox or have changed over the years.
we are looking for a neighborhood where there are good schools and our child can grow with diversity but not feel like we are a minority.
is there a difference between north merrick and south merrick
Water? If you're looking into South Merrick (or anything south of Sunrise Hwy in Nassau) ask about flood insurance. There were many homes that were impacted by Sandy, and more that require flood insurance, which can be pricey. All the high schools in the school district are well rated.

South Merrick has a larger Jewish population than North. Spoiler alert: Merrick is not known for it's diversity. It's quite challenging to find an area that's got a Jewish presence but still diverse. We were looking for the same thing when we were checking out homes (and ultimately bought in East Meadow).

Old 04-24-2018, 10:48 AM

Yes to Jericho and Syosset as we were not only told by brokers but if you look at the school demo you can see the changes

I know people who live in Massapequa who suggested other places for me to live.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
are either of these reasons really the case in Massapequa, Jericho, Syosset, or Manhasset?
Massapequa does not fall into either category. It's overwhelmingly white and has a very tiny Jewish population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island