Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:53 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,882,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
$350 an hour if he were operating as a sub and you were giving him a 1099. Then he would also have to be licensed and supply you with liability and workers comp certificates.

If you're paying cash, is that being picked up as a payroll liability when your liability policy and workers comp policies are audited, or are you flying under the radar?

Paid cellphones are great because an employer can see exactly how much time an employee spent calling and texting during work hours. Helps build a case ifyou have to fire them and they try to claim unemployment.
I’m speaking strictly from the carpenters point of view. Legitimately, sure you’d have to provide insurance/1099ect. If you are well known and competent, getting $350-450/day undeclared cash from a needy contractor is not that difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 10:10 AM

300 posts, read 549,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
No. $350/day would be if one free lanced and worked once in a while with a company. Some guys can swing more than that. Also, “full benefits “? No. Just health insurance. I know a couple of those companies only have drug addicts (alcoholics, pill poppers) working for them. Kenco’s owner is a bit of a weirdo himself but, they do decent work. Lots of illegal’s and subcontractors involved too. It’s not easy out there.
Okay so you keep jumping around.. The original comment on this thread was how much to pay a carpenter and a jr carpenter who are full time employee at a home improvement company.. What is your answer? You seem to keep jumping around.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Salary is commensurate with actual experience. He might start at $20/hr until he shows what his true skills are. Our full mechanics are right in line with the statistics, above mean. We offer profit sharing, 1 week paid vacation, 3 paid sick days, company vehicles, uniforms. We're too small to offer health insurance; the cost would further drive up our billable rate, making it even more difficult to compete against fly-by-night, shady guys operating out of the back of their truck.
Okay so you agree that most Carpenters and Jr. Carpenters fall in the 40k-65k range. Obviously a lead foreman or a master carpenter can make more money but overall you agree that carpenters and jr. carpenters are in the range that was originally described in the first comment? If the annual mean is 65k for a carpenter I would assume that lower level jr. carpenters are going to be lower hence the range...

Old 04-24-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
Okay so you keep jumping around.. The original comment on this thread was how much to pay a carpenter and a jr carpenter who are full time employee at a home improvement company.. What is your answer? You seem to keep jumping around.
No. Full time lead carpenter deserves 75k and health insurance. Jr carpenter 20-25/hr. A freelance lead carpenter: minimum 350/day.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:09 PM

715 posts, read 613,356 times
I always crack up when the illegal at home depot that doesn't speak a word of English nor can he provide any verification of ANY skill demands $150 a day lol Big risk having these clowns practice construction on your house. When they cause some serious expensive damage they sure as heck wont be fixing it.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:49 PM

19,980 posts, read 20,683,019 times
Slow? Stay home no pay.
No work. Home no pay.
Pay day..."had a slow week. Here's $350 and I'll give you the balance next week". (You never get balance, boss is always on a deficit with you)

Ive worked in pretty much every trade at various skill/pay rates. Unfortunately, most of these companies are a clown show run by skells. Not all though. I've worked for total scumbags and some real stand up professional guys as well. I've worked with god knows how many people over the years and the horror stories are the same as far as pay and treatment with many of these companies.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
I always crack up when the illegal at home depot that doesn't speak a word of English nor can he provide any verification of ANY skill demands $150 a day lol Big risk having these clowns practice construction on your house. When they cause some serious expensive damage they sure as heck wont be fixing it.
agreed, well said

Old 04-25-2018, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Slow? Stay home no pay.
No work. Home no pay.
Pay day..."had a slow week. Here's $350 and I'll give you the balance next week". (You never get balance, boss is always on a deficit with you)

Ive worked in pretty much every trade at various skill/pay rates. Unfortunately, most of these companies are a clown show run by skells. Not all though. I've worked for total scumbags and some real stand up professional guys as well. I've worked with god knows how many people over the years and the horror stories are the same as far as pay and treatment with many of these companies.
This sounds like an accurate account of an overwhelming majority of LI home improvement contractors. One of the top reasons it’s so hard to find/keep a good worker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island