Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 02:18 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times

Advertisements

I just read through the slides and on 35/69 it shows where the Bond Investors will be "State Employee Pension Funds" and "Union Pension Funds" along with China. When this project runs over they will be able to over tax the citizens to make up the shortfalls on the pensions (union ones first of course)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 04:11 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Do you mean Sagtikos?
Yes. It's been in the works for years.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:12 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
And Sagtikos only goes from the LIE south to Southern State. So can't build a bridge to CT from there.
Yes New York state can and will. Go tell the state they don't know what they're doing. I only work for them.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
Or the one.
"The votes of the many outweigh the desires of the few." Prince Andy

Old 05-01-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the sandtrap View Post
If anybody is interested here is an email I just received from the mayor of upper brookville. Some interesting links at the end:

Dear Residents,

Recently there was a meeting hosted by Bayville’s Mayor Rupp on Governor Cuomo’s proposed plan to build an 18-mile - of which 9 miles will be underground - 60’ tunnel from Syosset to Rye. In 2016 Governor Cuomo commissioned a 5 million dollar feasibility study which was released in December 2017. Governor Cuomo now wants to move forward and make this happen.

I was unable to attend the meeting but Mayor Schmidlapp (Centre Island) was there and sent the note below to his residents. I thought you’d appreciate his comments. In particular, the presentation (click on link below) is a superb and thorough analysis of the situation! The next update meeting is scheduled for May 9, 2018 at 7PM at the Locust Valley High School auditorium and all may attend.

Best regards,
Elliot Conway
Mayor, Upper Brookville

From Mayor Schmidlapp:

The information presented to the standing room only crowd was alarming. The impact to our Village in addition to the surrounding communities would be staggering. The tunnel would go under Centre Island and would knock out pipes leading to our wells. The ventilation towers being proposed for either Centre Island, Bayville or Oyster Bay would ruin the area. A picture of the Holland Tunnel ventilation tower is below. Imagine two of those either on Centre Island, Bayville or Oyster Bay. I know your first reaction will probably be this will never happen but if we don’t do something about it, it could become a reality.

Although the creation of the National Fish and Wildlife Refuge that surrounds Centre Island thwarted the last attempt to build a bridge, there is no guarantee that it could prevent a tunnel.

Please take a moment to look at the presentation by following the link below. It will give you the details of what is proposed, what has been done so far, and what you can do:

http://bayvilleny.gov/wp-content/upl...e-Website-.pdf

The Town of Oyster Bay also has an online petition you can sign at Petition to OPPOSE the Cross Sound Tunnel - Town of Oyster Bay.
They've made some very good points about why not to tunnel at Oyster Bay. The poor schmucks around the Sunken Meadow will wind up getting the brunt of this.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:03 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
They've made some very good points about why not to tunnel at Oyster Bay. The poor schmucks around the Sunken Meadow will wind up getting the brunt of this.
But if the meadow is already sunken why not sink it just a bit further into a tunnel?

Old 05-02-2018, 04:37 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
They've made some very good points about why not to tunnel at Oyster Bay.

Interesting take. I found most of their points fairly tired. They seemed to use the standard hyperbole that would fit their narrative.

That they felt the need to include "flying cars" as one of their defenses told me they are desperate and lacking any really good reasons to oppose the idea.

Flying cars is even more humorous on Long Island, where everyone has been scrambling to make new laws prohibiting small "drones" from flying in the area. Like these same people are not going to oppose flying cars headed over their homes to get to CT.

I think their best bet is the wildlife sanctuary reasoning. That, of course, is an old one since the sanctuary was essentially created as a political ploy to stop the original crossing planned for that area. They didn't stop the proposal to save the animals - they decided the animals needed saving as an excuse to stop the proposal.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:48 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Interesting take. I found most of their points fairly tired. They seemed to use the standard hyperbole that would fit their narrative.

That they felt the need to include "flying cars" as one of their defenses told me they are desperate and lacking any really good reasons to oppose the idea.

Flying cars is even more humorous on Long Island, where everyone has been scrambling to make new laws prohibiting small "drones" from flying in the area. Like these same people are not going to oppose flying cars headed over their homes to get to CT.

I think their best bet is the wildlife sanctuary reasoning. That, of course, is an old one since the sanctuary was essentially created as a political ploy to stop the original crossing planned for that area. They didn't stop the proposal to save the animals - they decided the animals needed saving as an excuse to stop the proposal.
I think the tunnel starting in Syosset will avoid (and in some portions pass under) the wildlife sanctuaries that stopped the pervious highway/bridge attempt. That may be apparent to the coalition opposing it.

That might account for a switch to the 'flying cars' defense.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post

Flying cars is where their argument jumped the shark.

If anything, the point which was most significant (for me at least) was the very real potential for intrusion into the aquifer we use for drinking water. What happens when the last aquifer is tainted and no longer potable? We have issues with getting sewer plants in Suffolk -- imagination the political pork barrel that a desalination plant would become? What the cost of potable water on LI would skyrocket to?

The more I read of Cuomo's plans, the more I sincerely believe that this man hates LI and sees us solely as a source of revenue or returning political favor. Wind farms off of the south shore which are expected to yield 800 mw (light approximately 635,000 homes for $3B investment -- who is getting that contract?), a bridge & tunnel which will endanger our water, serving us up to PSEG claiming savings, suing the feds for allowing ICE to do its job while MS13 ruins lives of young Long Islanders and destroys families.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I think the tunnel starting in Syosset will avoid (and in some portions pass under) the wildlife sanctuaries that stopped the pervious highway/bridge attempt. That may be apparent to the coalition opposing it.

The other counterpoint was the size of the air ventilation buildings -- they gave an example picture of the ventilation building for an NYC tunnel which is much shorter in length than the proposed sound tunnel. These buildings are very large and completely out of scale and character with the surrounding area.

FWIW -- I do not live anywhere near Syosset. I live closer to Sunken Meadow, but not close enough to be impacted by sight lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island