U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 12:31 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,291,467 times

Advertisements

CT people have a geographic advantage being located on the mainland. No worries getting off the island in case of an emergency like a big storm, etc.

They don't need to come here for the beaches, as CT has a long shoreline. There's a small advantage for them if they want to get to Queens/Brooklyn/Hamptons without going through Bronx and Manhattan.

LI would receive the main benefits of a bridge or tunnel as a way to get off without going through the city.

Here's an idea: a rail shuttle connecting the LIRR with the Metro North. How well/badly would that work out?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 12:33 PM

11,942 posts, read 9,923,766 times
Long Island Bridge can be like Hangzhou Bay Bridge in China

Old 05-04-2018, 12:36 PM

11,299 posts, read 15,145,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
Sagatose parkway.
No such parkway.

There IS one called the Sagtikos ...

Do you even 'Long Island' bro?

Old 05-04-2018, 01:29 PM

16,966 posts, read 31,140,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Here's a more modern interpretation from Holland, much more stylish
Mid century modern ca 1957!

I enjoy looking at these photos and learning more. Here's a neat video of the planned reconstruction of the Velsertunnel. Take note that the Netherlands will not permit the tower construction to be altered in any way. Too bad they weren't in NY before the original Penn Station was demolished.

https://youtu.be/PL2pcL3gLro

Old 05-04-2018, 01:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 31,140,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
You mean build a bridge or tunnel to Sunken Meadow State Park and continue down the Sunken Meadow Pkway to the Sagtikos?

I doubt it will happen.

First of all, the Sagtikos, Robert Moses and Sunken Meadow Parkways are parkways, no trucks allowed. And they are only two lanes wide, with the Sagtikos already filled to capacity at rush hour. Not to mention, the Sagtikos does not really meet the Robert Moses directly, you have to get on the Southern State for about a half a mile - are we talking about letting trucks and buses onto the Southern State as well?

As soon as word gets out that we are going to have years of widening the 3 parkways, rebuilding all the low stone bridges and enable trucks and buses to use them (because they are NOT going to build a bridge or tunnel just for cars), also allowing trucks and buses on the Southern State and with the possible ruining of Sunken Meadow State Park, I think there will be tremendous opposition in Suffolk County to this.
Take the Heartland project into account. There would have to be some improvements to localized infrastructure to accommodate the additional traffic burden it would create.

The tunnel traffic wouldn't need an extension of Sag to the SSP. All they need is an improvement from the tunnel egress to the LIE for commercial traffic.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:25 PM

659 posts, read 251,444 times
Well, here's the CT perspective.

I really don't want this too happen. CT is a lot quieter and less densely populated than LI, so a lot of traffic will come up our way. Also, a bridge across would look HIDEOUS from our beaches!! Even right now that smokestack in Northport is an abomination... Hopefully it's replaced with something less ugly.

This would also have a TERRIBLE ecological impact on the Sound. Imagine all of the littering!

I say NO!

Old 05-04-2018, 06:11 PM

1,497 posts, read 2,690,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post

I really don't want this too happen. CT is a lot quieter and less densely populated than LI, so a lot of traffic will come up our way. Also, a bridge across would look HIDEOUS from our beaches!! Even right now that smokestack in Northport is an abomination... Hopefully it's replaced with something less ugly.

This would also have a TERRIBLE ecological impact on the Sound. Imagine all of the littering!

I say NO!
we get to look at the smokestack in Bridgeport harbor from our north shore beaches, along with the incinerator just west of it
I'm somewhat surprised there are plans to connect with I-95 in Milford or Devon, instead of Steel Point area or Seaview Avenue area in Bridgeport.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:26 PM

4,586 posts, read 8,029,199 times
For crying out loud, just drain the freaking Sound! No unsightly bridges, ventilation towers, or worries about getting right of way building something on some NIMBY’s rose garden.
Boom! Done!

Old 05-04-2018, 07:44 PM

11,942 posts, read 9,923,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post

I say NO!
Why Japan, South Korea, Germany, UK, France for etc have better Infrastructure than U.S

Old 05-04-2018, 07:53 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,489,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
No such parkway.

There IS one called the Sagtikos ...

Do you even 'Long Island' bro?
Sagatose into sunken meadow. God, I didn't realize I had to spell it out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island