Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 07:58 AM

32 posts, read 50,957 times

Advertisements

Some of you pro-tunnel people need to take a drive up to Oyster Bay/Bayville area to see how much destruction these tunnels would do to the area. It would destroy the beaches, the roads, the downtown of Bayville, Oyster Bay, the entire area. It would also destroy countless businesses up there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 11:53 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,300 times
Lmao oyster bay has been sucking us Dru for years. Paybacks is a *****!

Old 06-06-2018, 12:04 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
A 20th century technology that will likely not be the way we transport ourselves around in even 25 yrs from now is not "innovative"

I tell you what's comically out of touch with the zeitgeist and future thinking though - someone in 2018 thinking building more roads is an answer. Don't forget your ice box, dial-up router and landline before you jump ship.

Honest question... How will I get to/from my property in upstate NY (or anywhere else on the continent) 25 years from now, if not the roads? How about all the products and raw materials that need to get on/off Long Island?

I was promised a "George Jetson" flying car and "Man from Glad" jetpack back in the 60s. Still waiting. Even if personal air vehicles become feasible, we are a LONG way off from implementation in an area like NY. (See the thread on aircraft noise - the NY airspace is far too crowded. No way will thousands of personal aircraft be permitted).

Water travel won't get you inland.

The U.S. rail system is crumbling. Even if money was poured into it today (which no one is considering) it would take generations to get it up to speed. And then it would still have to compete with the airline industry (which gets there quicker) and overcome strong consumer preference against rail transport.

So what are the options (or future)? We have been a car culture for a very long time. That's not going to change in 25 years or more. I'm all on board for a better means of personal transportation.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:08 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooncat View Post
Some of you pro-tunnel people need to take a drive up to Oyster Bay/Bayville area to see how much destruction these tunnels would do to the area. It would destroy the beaches, the roads, the downtown of Bayville, Oyster Bay, the entire area. It would also destroy countless businesses up there as well.
The plans, as I understand it, avoid such destruction by tunneling under (as opposed to going through). I'm not sure the above concerns are valid.

Then again, take a look at the history of the New York City water supply. Entire villages were wiped out to build reservoirs. I'm not necessarily agreeing with the idea, but it wouldn't be the first time people were displaced in the name of "progress."

Old 06-06-2018, 12:14 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I want a real light saber. And a car with fricken lazer beams.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:39 PM

32 posts, read 50,957 times
I saw the plans in Newsday. It is going to do massive damage to that area of the north shore. You would have to build the roads as well. It will do tremendous damage to the beautiful Long Island Sound as well.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:41 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Oh well. Sucks for their team.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:45 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times
I would die from shock if it's ever built.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:50 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I would die from shock if it's ever built.
I'll probably die of old age rather than shock if it is ever built.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:07 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooncat View Post
I saw the plans in Newsday. It is going to do massive damage to that area of the north shore. You would have to build the roads as well. It will do tremendous damage to the beautiful Long Island Sound as well.
Lmao....wasn't Connecticut dumping thier sewage into the sound? How beautiful does that sound?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island