Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 03:23 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
As it is, the $6K taxes would probably be a bigger selling point than the 900 sq ft bedroom
Wep, wep, wep... I mean rep, rep, rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 05:52 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Absolutely.

Make East Meadow great again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
35,000 in taxes is probably worth it for the best police departments and public schools in the country and the safest towns

Old 04-28-2018, 07:05 PM

87 posts, read 99,373 times
How are your taxes 6k on a 2100 sq foot home?

East meadow houses 1/2 your size pay on average 10k in taxes. Taxes are calculated on living space, doesn’t matter if it’s 1 room or 2 rooms.

Yes it’s legal to increase your taxes.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:45 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGlove View Post
How are your taxes 6k on a 2100 sq foot home?

East meadow houses 1/2 your size pay on average 10k in taxes. Taxes are calculated on living space, doesn’t matter if it’s 1 room or 2 rooms.

Yes it’s legal to increase your taxes.
THIS!

Wow, $6k in taxes on 2100sf in East Meadow?! Compared to the rest of us, you're grossly under assessed right now. I wouldn't touch a thing until they do the county wide re-assessment (hopefully never). You're going up to $12-$14k then anyway without any work at all.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:02 AM

245 posts, read 278,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
THIS!

Wow, $6k in taxes on 2100sf in East Meadow?! Compared to the rest of us, you're grossly under assessed right now. I wouldn't touch a thing until they do the county wide re-assessment (hopefully never). You're going up to $12-$14k then anyway without any work at all.
Yeah and I could wait for an asteroid to hit earth or wait to quit smoking. I'm not much for waiting. Life is too short.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:36 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Ah, sarcasm! It was a hypothetical...unlike the $35k which is real. You want to pay for more house, happy trails and many blessings. Don't blame us for finding your $6k bill a little bizarre (and enticing). You already figured out the county loves big home reno projects. It lets them tax around and well above the 6%yr/20% 5yr threshold law. Fair? Heck no, this is Nassau County. The pay to play, Nimby capital of the world...and one of the most expensive places in the country to own a 3800 sq ft house. Like you said, life is short. That's why many of us consider a 483% tax increase a tough idea to swallow. Hey, look on the bright side. At least you know about the tax hit. Some poor shnook(s) right now are taking out a HELOC against their new found equity windfall to add a garage or bedroom with no clue of the tax hit that awaits.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 04-29-2018 at 08:00 AM..

Old 04-29-2018, 07:43 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I don't understand the point of this thread....is it to tell everyone what a good deal you got on the house, are getting on your taxes and how it's all so worth it so you're going to plow ahead with this ill advised project anyway? People who've been there are telling you you're going to regret it, your 2 year old with be an ungrateful 18 year old (whether they want to go to college or not is irrelevant, but I forgot it's LI we're talking about where everyone expects their kids to live home till they're 30) before you know it and you'll be stuck with an albatross in East Meadow. And now you're throwing in a possible re-lcation? If that is really on the table, do nothing and sell your wonderful house that you underpaid for ASAP - take the money and run - people will be falling all over themselves to buy a house with a $6000 tax bill in Nassau County.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:30 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelChange2012 View Post
So I hired an architect and designed an addition that is approximately 1,700 sq ft to give my kids a proper living area as they grow up, a nice bedroom, their own bathroom to share, etc.
Two little kids don't need 1,700 sq. ft. of living space, and shouldn't grow up expecting this as "proper." Unless of course, you are raising heirs to the House of Windsor.

People used to manage okay on one salary because they demanded less. I knew a family with two parents who raised five kids in a 3 bedroom Cape with one bathroom. This isn't ideal, but nobody suffered horribly over it.

I think a move to Scottsdale would better suit your space expectations. Also, life is much, MUCH better without the LI taxman endlessly cracking the whip for more thousands. Daydream about the other things you can do with the money.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Ah, sarcasm! It was a hypothetical...unlike the $35k which is real. You want to pay for more house, happy trails and many blessings. Don't blame us for finding your $6k bill a little bizarre (and enticing). You already figured out the county loves big home reno projects. It lets them tax around and well above the 6%yr/20% 5yr threshold law. Fair? Heck no, this is Nassau County. The pay to play, Nimby capital of the world...and one of the most expensive places in the country to own a 3800 sq ft house. Like you said, life is short. That's why many of us consider a 483% tax increase a tough idea to swallow. Hey, look on the bright side. At least you know about the tax hit. Some poor shnook(s) right now are taking out a HELOC against their new found equity windfall to add a garage or bedroom with no clue of the tax hit that awaits.
Little sarcasm! Don't mean anything by it. We are in agreement. It's tough to swallow. It's complicated. I like the house I'm in, where it's situated. Don't want to sell and buy.

And yeah, I know about the tax hit because 3 years ago I sat down to sign a contract to buy a house in Levittown, those 3 new houses they constructed on private land, which has no public garbage pickup or snow removal. The builder tried telling me the taxes would be $15,000/yr. Town told me $30,000. Thank god I didn't sign the contract until after I found out. That's the only reason I'm so aware of the corrupt property tax issues.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't understand the point of this thread....is it to tell everyone what a good deal you got on the house, are getting on your taxes and how it's all so worth it so you're going to plow ahead with this ill advised project anyway? People who've been there are telling you you're going to regret it, your 2 year old with be an ungrateful 18 year old (whether they want to go to college or not is irrelevant, but I forgot it's LI we're talking about where everyone expects their kids to live home till they're 30) before you know it and you'll be stuck with an albatross in East Meadow. And now you're throwing in a possible re-lcation? If that is really on the table, do nothing and sell your wonderful house that you underpaid for ASAP - take the money and run - people will be falling all over themselves to buy a house with a $6000 tax bill in Nassau County.
Take it easy. Telling you guys about the good deal is part of the discussion and debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island