Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 08:12 PM

87 posts, read 98,052 times

Advertisements

When we redid our kitchen I got what I wanted and didn’t worry about resale value. This is our forever home and I want to be happy here.

Redoing a kitchen adds some value but that’s only if the next buyer has your taste. I saw a brand new kitchen when we were looking and I hated it (cheap stock cabinets) and if we had purchased that house we would have ripped them out and put them up in a garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 10:41 PM

983 posts, read 716,824 times
Thank you for all your opinions. I wasn’t expecting such a good advice.

The kitchen is uncomfortable and outdated (modern 80s white Formica style). Very weird layout.

Having said that, it’s really expensive to redo it and listening to my old man made me wonder if I was about to make a big mistake.

Reading your comments makes me regain confidence. Thanks.

Interesting how many of you mentioned style is a factor when selling. It seems, and this was in fact our plan, we’ll go with a very classic kitchen, just because chances are classic will remain classic after 20 years, and not necessarily because it’s what we really want now. You gotta be practical too .

Old 05-04-2018, 11:35 PM

11,561 posts, read 12,579,196 times
They don't make things like they used to. Expect to redo your new kitchen again in 20 years, not because of style, but because of wear and tear. Most likely, your appliances will have to be replaced at least twice in that time.

BTW, we're looking to redo ours too and have started looking at current designs.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:03 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,501,048 times
Depends on a lot of factors.

If you feel uncomfortable in one of the rooms you use the most, then do it. Renovate to live, not to recoup or for financial gain.

With that said spend a reasonable amount of money for the house you are in. Don't spend $50,000 on cabinets in a Levit house, nor 'assemble your own' cabinets in Cold Spring Harbor.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:32 AM

19,648 posts, read 20,449,048 times
I would assemble my own cabinets in Cold Spring Harbor just because I'm crazy like that.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:02 AM

22,618 posts, read 36,550,699 times
Make sure you do a LOT of research and if you can, consult with a kitchen designer who can help with the layout. We did that when we did our kitchen in NY and it opened my eyes up to a lot of mistakes people make when doing their kitchen. I would rather have back my kitchen in NY which is 1/3 of the size of the kitchen here but MUCH more functional.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:02 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,495,331 times
In terms of strict value recouping, kitchens supposedly have the highest return rate. IE, a new kitchen would add the highest amount per dollar spent to your house value. But it’s still only like 60-70% and even less if you go nuts with the project.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:29 AM

983 posts, read 716,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Depends on a lot of factors.

If you feel uncomfortable in one of the rooms you use the most, then do it. Renovate to live, not to recoup or for financial gain.

With that said spend a reasonable amount of money for the house you are in. Don't spend $50,000 on cabinets in a Levit house, nor 'assemble your own' cabinets in Cold Spring Harbor.
It’s funny that you say this. We do live in a Levit house, and all the estimates we got are about 50k.
What’s wrong with doing just that?

By the way, we’re going to hire a carpenter to make the cabinets like in the old days. Not semi industrial crap.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
It’s funny that you say this. We do live in a Levit house, and all the estimates we got are about 50k.
What’s wrong with doing just that?

By the way, we’re going to hire a carpenter to make the cabinets like in the old days. Not semi industrial crap.
How big is the kitchen?

That seems like an awful lot of money for a standard size Levitt kitchen. Does that include relocating/new boiler out of the kitchen area?

Old 05-05-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I would assemble my own cabinets in Cold Spring Harbor just because I'm crazy like that.
I would expect nothing less!! Formica countertops too.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island