Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 12:57 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
That’s is GREAT you want send them to private schools. I just can’t see spending $10,000 to $20,000 per year +/- on property (school) taxes PLUS a few more grand per year for private school.
"Few" more grand per year? Must be a cheap one. More like 1-2 grand PER MONTH for the ones I've checked out in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 02:09 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Are you looking for parochial school? That's the most commonly used private school on Long Island. Is there a job that needs to be commuted to, budget constraints, etc? I take you are from somewhere at least somewhat close to LI?

Old 05-21-2018, 02:26 PM

34 posts, read 51,722 times
Try green vale or east woods, both are k-8 so you can make the choice to switch to a larger school at a later date.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:54 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Some Long Island districts are really small. Depends where you need to live on Long Island. There are public elementary schools on Long Island where there are only 2 classes per grade so you can find schools where there are 60 or so kids in the entire grade. Middle school will probably be bigger. Can't offer much help until you state the general vicinity of where you want to live.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:39 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Velvet Jones school of technology.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:19 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotato View Post
Twingles, you have a good point. That would be best case scenario. What I'm worried about is that he'll suddenly have to change schools twice. Finish 5th then off to a gigantic middle school. And we'll rent first and I don't know if it will be easy to buy within district for youngest. I was thinking of putting them in a nice private they'll look forward to going to, this way they could still see each other at school too, which I think would help in a new place. LI seems like such an intense place, but my husband got an amazing job out there and the commute from where are may be too long.
Lot of things going on here and if the parents don't get their arms around it and stop creating things to fear how will the kids? Long Island certainly is reality - there is conspicuous wealth and grinding poverty but most of it falls between. Most Long Island districts have elementary classes in the 2o-26 student range - how many of those classes exist within a district is really not much of a concern. Additionally, many LI districts continue elementary through sixth grade and the son wouldn't be moving to a middle school for two full years; plenty of time to acclimate. The largest district on Long Island, Brentwood, has about 18,000 students in 11 elementary schools, four middle schools, one freshman center and two high schools. The smallest has nine students in essentially a one room schoolhouse in Sagaponack. No doubt, you'll land somewhere in between.

You don't say if the older child will be getting any schooling but, if so, that would be a starting point to see where appropriate services are most easily available. Long Island has some excellent schools for even the severely disabled.

The first step would be to identify a general geographic area that would be preferable based on the job location and the educational requirements of the older child and then focus on the school districts that would make the most sense considering those prerequisites. The hardest thing will probably be finding appropriate rental housing within the district or districts that can deliver what is needed; finding a more permanent house will usually be easier.

The job location would make it easier to suggest possible landing zones.

Last edited by kokonutty; 05-21-2018 at 08:39 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 PM

983 posts, read 724,605 times
There’s a Waldorf school in garden city

Old 05-22-2018, 05:40 AM

204 posts, read 296,899 times
Progressive School of Long Island in Merrick is fantastic. Small classes with two teachers per class, so about 7 students per teacher. Not expensive relative to other private schools. A warm environment, very different than public school. It's not a religious school so you don't have to worry about that nonsense. It's only K-8, no high school.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:36 AM

191 posts, read 591,031 times
Kokonutty, my post was to ask questions for different school recommendations, not parenting advice. Most of us would not expose a young child to a rated R movie. We all expose our children to different things in different areas on our own time as we each personally see best. This is different parent to parent and child to child. I do not think growing up in an upper middle class town is "reality", but I respect it if you do. As for my oldest, I am researching special needs services for him on special needs boards. My younger two have to accommodate a lot and I'd hate to pull them out of their community where everyone knows them. Siblings of special needs children need support, I'd like to find a setting where they will most likely have it and can make friends easily.

My husband's job will be in Hempstead. I would prefer a small to medium school district if they went to public. Class sizes in my tiny town's one school (K-8) do not exceed 20 kids, with about 3 classes per grade. Unfortunately, this is what my kids are used to, so I'm hesitant to jump them to a large school. Perhaps if I visit I'll feel differently.

Progressive School of Long Island sounds perfect, I will definitely schedule a visit there! Since we'll be renting at first, it will be easier not to worry about elementary school zones when we buy. If we go private, it would not be past 8th grade for my younger two.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:48 AM

191 posts, read 591,031 times
Apple juice - Progressive School sounds too good to be true. How can it really be that good? Are the academics truly strong? It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island