Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:57 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times

Advertisements

well, that's spoken like a true right winger. In actuallity Fox leans right, CNN, CBS, and especially MSNBC lean left...and ABC seems to be the most moderate. But anyways...Pataki was not from Brooklyn he was from Peekskill. Although you probably consider that "upstate" being from LI...its in Westchester County so it really isn't upstate at all. It is well within the 100 mile radius of NYC that I was refering to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 12:19 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
well, that's spoken like a true right winger. In actuallity Fox leans right, CNN, CBS, and especially MSNBC lean left...and ABC seems to be the most moderate. But anyways...Pataki was not from Brooklyn he was from Peekskill. Although you probably consider that "upstate" being from LI...its in Westchester County so it really isn't upstate at all. It is well within the 100 mile radius of NYC that I was refering to.
Peekskill is near the canadian border ....right? LOL!

Keen eye on the news.......

Old 04-06-2008, 11:35 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Default Not sure...

Quote:
Not certain if the above retort was meant for me regarding my Pataki comment, I was being sarcastic regarding the Brooklyn comment, I have only lived on the island for 9 years, (am actually from Connecticut) but would think that Peekskill speaks more to the upstate sensibilities than past Governors. I would be surprised to think that Peekskill Republicans feel like they are a part of "downstate" from a political and social standpoint but we can agree to disagree on that one.

I do have a counterpoint in general for the whole 51st state thread. Why should Long Island only consider seceding and not include maybe North Jersey in their plans?? Being from Connecticut I always viewed both regions as the same...

Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 AM

382 posts, read 1,530,874 times
Sean-Sean- You seem to know a lot about tax policy. Here's my question. Why does NYS have such a large Medicaid burden relative to most other states. My understanding is that Medicaid is state mandated yet the burden of payring for it alls on the local govt (county?). True or false. If you know anything about this please comment.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:09 AM

382 posts, read 1,530,874 times
Should read "....the burden of paying for it falls on the local......"

Old 04-07-2008, 12:29 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
But alas....if you aren't from within a 100 mile radius of NYC and don't have that brooklyn brawl, Lwong Oiland twang, or the classic New Yawk accent...you don't have a shot. We aren't even considered "real new yorkers" by many folks down there,
BTW, It's pronounced "Lawnguyland", one word, not "Lwong Oiland". Jeese

Old 04-07-2008, 09:26 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
You might want to tell that to the folks in West Virginia, which prior to the Civil War was part of Virginia.
Curlin is correct, it is not allowable as stated in the Constitution to create a state from part of another state.

West Virginia was created in 1863 from an area that was part of the former state of Virginia. Virginia seceded from the Union in 1861. West Virginia was created from lands at the time not part of the United States, as Virginia was part of the Confederate States of America. Not really a technicality since every state that seceded had to go through a process to be readmitted to the Union.

Vermont was neither part of New York or New Hampshire as the lands from both were in a murky dispute between those 2 colonies and Massachusetts since.1720’s and a decision by England in 1764 to give it to NY and NH. The residents of Vermont never abided by this decision and they declared themselves an independent territory in 1777.

Check out the history of Grand Isle County, Vermont Grand Isle County, Vermont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and New Connecticut (Vermont) Vermont Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not really a technicality either since the people of Vermont never considered themselves part on NY or NH, and Congress denied NY’s claim to the area in 1788, essentially upholding Vermont’s independent status since 1777.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:39 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Curlin is correct, it is not allowable as stated in the Constitution to create a state from part of another state.
Then, kindly explain Maine which was formed from part of Massachussets.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:21 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
If you truly want to know, read "Could New York Let Upstate Be Upstate?"
http://www.ppinys.org/reports/2004/letupstate.pdf

The report points out exactly how Downstate NY is killing upstate. Summed up in one sentence (on page 9):

Policies and costs are imposed on the Upstate economy in ways that would not happen if Upstate were a standalone state on its own.

Some examples include....

-Medicaid burden on the counties. Property taxes are so high in Upstate NY precisely to pay for the Medicaid program.
-Thruway tolls
-Energy Costs
-Brownfield laws enacted to help NYC actually made Upstate redeveloped of brownfields cost-prohibitive
-Wicks Law
-Tort Law
Only 25% of state Medicaid funding comes from governments at the local level. As ridiculously high as Medicaid costs are in NY, the revenue sharing setup that takes all that money from the 100 mile radius around NYC and pumps it into upstate counties is surely enough to counter that. On the whole though, I don't disagree with what that report has to say.....but I don't believe the situation is as much downstate's fault for having more representation as it is upstate's fault for having bad representation. There's no reason why these costs have to be the same across the state, surely some kind of compromise can be worked out. This is a corrupt state, we've got bad representation down here but we've got more of it....everyone has their hand in everyone else's pockets.

HomerBrink - check out the article I'll link below, pretty good explanation of why Medicaid costs in NYS are so insane. I don't really know that much but I do read a lot

NCPA | Study #284, Medicaid Empire: Why New York Spends so much on Health Care for the Poor and Near Poor and How the System Can Be Reformed (http://www.ncpa.org/pub/st/st284/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island