Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 01:42 PM

352 posts, read 386,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1174Sixer View Post
I've taken the Air Train to JFK a few times. Pretty convenient for me. Although, I opt for a car service if I have more luggage than a couple carry-ons...

Laguardia I avoid like the plague, but in the few times I've had no other options, a car service.

If out of Islip, I just ask a friend because most don't mind that drive...
LaGuardia is not too bad if you use the Q70 Select Bus from Woodside LIRR. Quite painless actually, and only normal MTA bus fare, not $5 like Airtrain. Takes about 15-20 min to Term B with only one intermediate stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 01:42 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
When I can, I fly out of Islip. Problem is that they don't have many direct flights so you'll almost always have to switch (usually in Philadelphia.) After that I try for JFK. I try to avoid LGA at all costs.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:08 PM

215 posts, read 248,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halberto9 View Post
LaGuardia is not too bad if you use the Q70 Select Bus from Woodside LIRR. Quite painless actually, and only normal MTA bus fare, not $5 like Airtrain. Takes about 15-20 min to Term B with only one intermediate stop.
Interesting - never would have thought to do that... Just popped it in Google Maps and says it's about 1.5 hr trip right now - not too bad. Probably not ideal if you had a bunch of luggage. But with just a carry-on, since you're already taking a plane and a train, might as well throw in an automobile for the trifecta! Haha!

Old 06-18-2018, 05:16 PM

352 posts, read 386,742 times
Quote:
Interesting - never would have thought to do that... Just popped it in Google Maps and says it's about 1.5 hr trip right now - not too bad. Probably not ideal if you had a bunch of luggage. But with just a carry-on, since you're already taking a plane and a train, might as well throw in an automobile for the trifecta! Haha!
The bus is fine for luggage, unlike regular city bus it has luggage racks. You have to buy ticket from curbside kiosk, cannot use metrocard or cash onboard. You can enter via either door, driver does not check for tickets, but sometimes there are inspectors onboard or at the curb when exiting; big fine if can't present a valid ticket.

I find the LIRR to be more of a problem with large luggage, especially the bi-levels during rush hours, they are not really set up for it.

Last edited by halberto9; 06-18-2018 at 05:30 PM..

Old 06-19-2018, 03:00 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWGqGHMO294

Old 06-19-2018, 03:49 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
The bus is fine but it sucks now w/ all the construction. Take a Uber Pool or Lyft Line from Woodside. its $7 and I have never had to to share the car or just pay $12 full fare.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:24 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Mostly JFK or LaGuardia. Not many flights go out of Mac Arthur and the ones to Chicago (where my brother lives) do not have non-stop flights and I am not going to travel extra time for a flight that normally takes 90 minutes. though mac Arthur is 10 minutes from my house most of the places I have gone to don't fly out of that nice convenient airport.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:02 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
JFK - Drive

Old 06-20-2018, 10:43 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
I hate flying into ISP. Whenever it rains there seems to be cake all over the place.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:25 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
If the Airtrain to LaGuardia at Mets-Willets Point were to be built, where would be a sensible place for a LIRR Port Washington branch train to run to make this actually useful? I was thinking that breaking off a branch after Great Neck and before the line single-tracks would make sense, but then an extension to where? I think there’s room to do so if a tunnel were bored out on Northern Boulevard to connect to the Oyster Bay Branch, but then should the route shoot north or south from there? Maybe both? If it just goes north to serve the rest of the Oyster Bay branch, but that seems limiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island