Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:44 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times

Advertisements

Thanks OhBeeHave. Let us know what you come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Never say never -- I am still trying to find hard proof, but according to two people, at one point a few homes in South Setauket were either redistricted into the TVSCD school district or redistricted into the MCSD. It is a very, very rare event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 09:04 AM

4 posts, read 7,006 times
I wouldn't be concerned about Wheatley Heights leaving the HHH school district. That would never happen. On the other hand, a few years back there was fear that the struggling Wyandanch school district would be dismantled and its students distributed amongst the surrounding school districts, one of which was HHH. That led to some talk about the neighborhoods comprising the HHH school district incorporating them selves as the inc. village of HHH so that they could prevent that from happening. Obviously that never came to fruition. With so much real estate value tied to school district, any switches would cause such an uproar that they would never make it off the ground. As long as the OP understands that in general the Wheatley Heights population is going to be a part of a district that has a majority enrollment of wealthy and privileged Dix Hills children, moving to WH is a good way to get into a top performing district at a much more affordable price than buying into DH.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:48 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Rocafeller05 - I did read your post and did understand it correctly. I realize you're aiming to send your kids to the HHH school district, but want to keep down the price of your house, and therefore can't afford Dix Hills prices so you're looking at Wheatley Heights to get within the proximity of the geographical boundary for the HHH school district.

Even though your mail will say Wheatley Heights, you're still going to be right next to Wyancanch, a little too close for comfort in my opionion. And while there are boundaries on maps, there are no boundaries between towns.

Perhaps you'll be happy there, personally, I'd be uncomfortable.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:13 PM

So I guess you would feel uncomfortable in Garden City also? It does border Hempstead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Rocafeller05 - I did read your post and did understand it correctly. I realize you're aiming to send your kids to the HHH school district, but want to keep down the price of your house, and therefore can't afford Dix Hills prices so you're looking at Wheatley Heights to get within the proximity of the geographical boundary for the HHH school district.

Even though your mail will say Wheatley Heights, you're still going to be right next to Wyancanch, a little too close for comfort in my opionion. And while there are boundaries on maps, there are no boundaries between towns.

Perhaps you'll be happy there, personally, I'd be uncomfortable.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:11 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Thanks OhBeeHave. Let us know what you come up with.
Good point.....most borders hold fast......GC and Hempstead, Merrick and Freeport, Massapequa and Amityville. Areas that tend to get worse are within the same school disrtrict.

Has anyone been thru the historic district in Amityville?........some of the nicest historic homes you can find on Long Island.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:33 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Maybe Rocafeller05 ought to move to Wheatley Heights and after a year or two report back on the area; perhaps it's a simply wonderful area that has earned a bad reputation through various rumors, although people who I personally know who have lived there got out asap and moved to Northport.

Each to his own Rocafeller05 - hope you know the Island better than I do.

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:42 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Maybe Rocafeller05 ought to move to Wheatley Heights and after a year or two report back on the area; perhaps it's a simply wonderful area that has earned a bad reputation through various rumors, although people who I personally know who have lived there got out asap and moved to Northport.

Good luck.
Aside from a few stories here and there, I don't think Wheatley Heights has a bad reputation....I don't know the area that well but it seems like a lot of people confuse it as simply "a part of Wyandanch" which does have a bad stigma attached to it.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:

Good luck.
Bad Rep?? Based off what exactly?? Other than some people misconstruing Wheatley Heights and Wyandanch I don't know how anyone can suggest it has a bad rep or anything of that sort. Wheatley Heights is a very nice area. As for the OP I you don't have to worry about Wheatley Heights ever going into the Wyandanch school district, that simply is not going to happen. If you want to live in the HHH district, but the homes in Dix Hills is a bit out of reach Wheatley heights is a great option.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 AM

Same here Smash255, never heard of anything negative about Wheatley Heights. Maybe AndreaII can enlighten us with all the negatives she has heard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island