Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 12:59 PM

235 posts, read 247,384 times

Advertisements

If the New Cassel murder in early July is #5 for Nassau in 2018, unfortunately on August 4 in morning daylight in Glen Head, a 71-year-old killed a co-worker at a Citgo service station. The guy who went for his gun is charged with murder. Sadly, Bashir Ward lost his life.

[/b]That may be #6 in 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 06:47 AM

Monday the 13th of August, 2018, was a tragic, fatal day for a woman in a residence on North Road, Great Neck. The alleged stabber has been captured. This homicide may be Nassau County's seventh for 2018.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:39 AM

Saturday the 18th of August, 2018, shortly before noon, a man shot and killed his wife at home on Wellington Road, Elmont. He then lay down next to her and killed himself with the same 9 mm handgun. They were close in age (30, 31), and she had filed for divorce. I presume that the wife's death is a homicide, but is a suicide also characterized as homicide? This doubles the number of 2017 Nassau County murders (4), as this could be #8 and #9. What grief!

Old 10-12-2018, 06:52 PM

September had no murders in Nassau County, but noon on Friday, October 12, 2018, brought a gun death near the intersection of Dartmouth Street and Stewart Avenue, a short distance northeast of the center of the village of Hempstead. This seems to be the first murder in the village this year, although there have been non-fatal shootings.
---
Please avoid confusing this Dartmouth Street and this Stewart Avenue with two different and parallel streets in Garden City.
---
The poor fellow, 22-years-old, died of multiple shots.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:57 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe63 View Post
On July 9, 2018, Newsday ran an interesting two-page spread on crime stats in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.
Nassau had suffered 3 murders in 2017, but 4 already this year. Suffolk had 13 in 2017 and 12 so far this year. One tragic loss was that of Deacon Patrick Logsdon at Anthony House 11.3.2017. to me, the numbers are extraordinarily low, but the article explores this further. Newsday's search engine is not very helpful, but the headline is "Technology Helps Cut Crimes."
---
I thank the people of the NCPD and SCPD.

Dang........................Time to move back to the 5 boroughs.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:20 AM

376 posts, read 310,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

They'll pay 3x more tax before they do that.

Or more realistically, leave the state.

Just curious why you believe NYC is less expensive to live than LI? In NYC, you pay local taxes, you still have to pay property taxes, and properties cost much more money in areas that aren’t even desiarable. Then on top of that, the majority of schools don’t compare to those on the island.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:20 AM

376 posts, read 310,178 times
Quote:
Nobody in NYC complains about paying the taxes

You guys are the ones that complain about paying taxes

Come over to NYC forum and see how many threads are made about paying taxes.

If its so much cheaper for you guys, then why do you complain about paying them so much

I moved to Nassau last December so in a few months I will have a complete year so I have experienced both sides. I moved out of Queens to Nassau to be able to buy a house because properties in desirable areas of Queens cost nearly a million dollars. So that would’ve a higher mortgage to begin with plus local city taxes which in my case is nearly half my current home taxes in Nassau plus property taxes. So I don’t really understand the complaints.

In all honesty I think this is the reason many current NYC residents are moving out to LI. The ones who mostly complain are long time LI residents.

My only complaint would probably be my evening commute but it’s a sacrifice I needed to make if I wanted a home.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:23 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Nobody in NYC complains about paying the taxes

You guys are the ones that complain about paying taxes

Come over to NYC forum and see how many threads are made about paying taxes.

If its so much cheaper for you guys, then why do you complain about paying them so much
I'm gonna take a wild guess and suggest that a large portion of the folks posting in the NYC forum neither own property nor earn enough money to make the income tax a significant factor in the their lives.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:12 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
I own in both the city and on the island. My property tax is the same in both. But then again my Long Island spot is in Mastic Beach where we're not taxed to death, nor has there been a homicide yet this year. I don't get how these Long Islanders outside the town of Brookhaven are comfortable paying those ridiculous taxes. We do need flood insurance in Mastic Beach though, but that is the price to pay to live in a coastal community. Why live on Long Island if your not by the water, right?

Old 10-15-2018, 02:31 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Do you think Nassau will be able to handle the influx? The use of the word "many" implies that a significant number of NYC residents are leaving.
Probably evens out with all the people running down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island