Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 10:01 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,603,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Aren't the houses in Mastic new for LI standards? Here in Baldwin it looks like most of the houses were built between the 10s and 30s, while most of Suffolk seems like 50s and newer.
Some of the original Mastic homes were summer cottages which date into the 30s and 40s.

As far as putting dates on development in Suffolk, you have to look at it on a town by town basis. I can look outside my window (1920's house) and see a house built in the 1600's and one built in the 2000's. Drive 6-7 miles south and I looking at 1960's development homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 10:21 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,890,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John9l0 View Post
The Mastics and Shirley are honestly not that bad, they are actually leagues better than dumps like Wyandanch and gang hotspots like Central Islip.

Mastic/Mastic beach is definitely dumpy in areas but crime is not that bad. You will not be in immediate danger just walking around or anything like that. The fact that it is a sex offender dumping ground is a concern as well, of course. It's not a desirable area, but it's nowhere near as bad as the other places on your list and you can find some good bargains off of Titmus Drive, I think it's Manorville schools over there as well.

And Shirley is nicer than the Mastics. It's not crime ridden or dangerous in the slightest. It's just very blue collar / working class. You might see some houses that aren't kept up nicely but it's not a bad area.

That said, none of those areas are going to gentrify.
Wyandanch is pretty much the next Rockville Centre or Oyster Bay; or at least well on its way to becoming it. I would say Wyandanch is the best out of that list given earlier.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
The local Long Island economy (including Brooklyn and Queens) is very different now then it was 30 years ago. No comparison.
You can not lump Brooklyn and Queens into the LI economy as they are (from a tax perspective, social program perspective, and politically) a part of New York City. They have some impact on Long Island, but as plenty of people have noted -- the further away you are, the less likely you are to commute to NYC, the less likely you are to earn a NYC-based income.

I will agree that the economy on LI has changed. While defense sectors disappeared (30 years ago, Republic Aviation was already gone and while Grumman was shifting operations to locations elsewhere in the US) we saw an increase in computers and communications (CA, Motorola) along with growth of SUNYs, healthcare and assisted living, agrotourism, telecommuting, etc.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
That's would cost too much money for NYS, but once all the rest of my infrastructure connections are done, in a decade or so Connecticut and Rhode Island will be more than willing to foot the bill.

Stop sampling your dispensary's wares.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:03 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,948,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Wyandanch is pretty much the next Rockville Centre or Oyster Bay; or at least well on its way to becoming it. I would say Wyandanch is the best out of that list given earlier.
Never gonna happen.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
You'll be able to jump on a ferry from Far Rock to Blue Point, slurping down oysters and chugging Toasted Lagers in no time.
A ferry along the south shore, starting at Atlantic Beach with stops at convenient points on the way to Hampton Bays would be rather useful. I don't believe it could start at Far Rock as Jamaica Bay does not feed into Reynolds Channel.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
I actually think the best investment on the island right now is going to be light commercial around SBU. With the new retail space going up and the train station finally getting a revamp, the old hags keeping the town around the college from developing into what the college needs are finally going to get shut down. Lots of opportunity over there, lots of students with money and nowhere to spend it.
Students with money? Not that many, and those who do have are spending it at the local Asian restaurants and Asian groceries.

Lake Ave in St James is the place to look in terms of business. It is becoming more run down, several businesses have closed. Right now not much can be done UNTIL the sewer program is put into place, which is pending the approval of the Flowerfield project -- almost all of which lies in the town of Smithtown.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:32 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,262,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
For real though, I wouldn't sit and long term it out anywhere you think some undesirable area is going to gentrify in 20-25 years. Low income families DO have to live somewhere. But I mean, Mastic is one of the few areas where you can get water view for $300k..

I'd focus on the REAL places that are up and coming. Mattituck, East Moriches... the forks are moving west because prices are going up. Plenty of places on the north fork that are going to sell when some of the old folks pass on, those places are all original 60s-70s homes on big lots in great areas. Pick em up for $6-750, reno, sell for over a mil. Is it hot like nassau? No, but thats alright. The investment in Greenport has already come and gone, that was like 10 years ago you could have picked up something cheap. Same with Montauk, its Hamptons east now. The rest of the Hamptons are (and have been) the way they are for years, so check out the North Fork. Greenport is a few instagram likes and a tv reality series away from becoming the next big thing IMHO...East Marion is beautiful, Shelter Island is right there, and anyone with half a brain and a good investor can open up a brewery or winery and start printing money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
People need to stay the F away from the North Fork.
Stop ruining lives over greed.
Don't worry. The Hamptons and the North Fork are already too expensive. They'll just continue to see the usual flipping of properties for the rich. Business as usual.

As for the Mastics though, that is another story. So many dirt cheap properties that can attract a herd of nomads with high volume potential. This is where you'll see true redeployment of equity. The Mastics are sitting on a gold mine and none of you Long Islanders even know it yet until after us city folks come in and exploit it.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You can not lump Brooklyn and Queens into the LI economy as they are (from a tax perspective, social program perspective, and politically) a part of New York City. They have some impact on Long Island, but as plenty of people have noted -- the further away you are, the less likely you are to commute to NYC, the less likely you are to earn a NYC-based income.

I will agree that the economy on LI has changed. While defense sectors disappeared (30 years ago, Republic Aviation was already gone and while Grumman was shifting operations to locations elsewhere in the US) we saw an increase in computers and communications (CA, Motorola) along with growth of SUNYs, healthcare and assisted living, agrotourism, telecommuting, etc.
Sure you can. Brooklyn...Brookhaven...coincidence? Money moves in unexpected ways.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
A ferry along the south shore, starting at Atlantic Beach with stops at convenient points on the way to Hampton Bays would be rather useful. I don't believe it could start at Far Rock as Jamaica Bay does not feed into Reynolds Channel.
Pier 11 and Dumbo it is I guess. Better off. I threw Far Rock out there to get the Mods buy-in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island