Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 11:39 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Interesting that you bring this up because IMO, I thought that Hempstead was similar to Far Rockaway in its heyday. And they ruined it the same way, making it a dumping ground.

You just end up shuffling the same type of people from one place to another. They have to live some place.
I heard Hempstead was nice in the 1960s

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 02:43 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I heard Hempstead was nice in the 1960s
It was.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:19 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
A ferry along the south shore, starting at Atlantic Beach with stops at convenient points on the way to Hampton Bays would be rather useful. I don't believe it could start at Far Rock as Jamaica Bay does not feed into Reynolds Channel.
Kind of like the LIRR but much less practical, right?

Old 07-17-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It was.
It should still be, but everything is subject to change.

Well my boy G-Dale wants to invest in the Mastics, I like Hempstead.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:48 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It was.
I grew up in East Meadow during the 1950s and 1960s. My mom (who didn't drive) would take me on the bus into Hempstead and we'd walk from there to the west (Garden City) end where the department stores were: Arnold Constable, A&S, and a third one whose name I can't recall. Our dentist's and pediatrician's offices were on Cathedral Avenue which if I recall was right on the edge of where Hempstead becomes Garden City. Jdawg is right, Hempstead was very nice during the 1950s and early 1960s.

However, the changes started in the late 1960s. In 1971 I went to work for Ford Motor Credit whose branch office was across from the bus station. There was a bakery inside the bus station that sold great rolls, danish, etc, but it was an office rule that if a woman went to the bus station 'shops', she had to take a second person with her. The guys could go into the bus station alone but not the gals. That was because too many women had been "accosted" (or worse) there. And that was during business hours, can't imagine what it was like there at night. We all left at 5pm and there was a security guy in the building's parking lot from 7 am to 7 pm which is when the gate was locked.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I grew up in East Meadow during the 1950s and 1960s. My mom (who didn't drive) would take me on the bus into Hempstead and we'd walk from there to the west (Garden City) end where the department stores were: Arnold Constable, A&S, and a third one whose name I can't recall. Our dentist's and pediatrician's offices were on Cathedral Avenue which if I recall was right on the edge of where Hempstead becomes Garden City. Jdawg is right, Hempstead was very nice during the 1950s and early 1960s.

However, the changes started in the late 1960s. In 1971 I went to work for Ford Motor Credit whose branch office was across from the bus station. There was a bakery inside the bus station that sold great rolls, danish, etc, but it was an office rule that if a woman went to the bus station 'shops', she had to take a second person with her. The guys could go into the bus station alone but not the gals. That was because too many women had been "accosted" (or worse) there. And that was during business hours, can't imagine what it was like there at night. We all left at 5pm and there was a security guy in the building's parking lot from 7 am to 7 pm which is when the gate was locked.
Tell me more about the changes.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:17 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,219,565 times
Just read Howard Sterns book, the changes are similar to what happened to his town of Roosevelt.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:25 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Mastic IS a gold mine. I was visiting a friend who bought a house over there on the water. Absolutely stunning view. Guys a custodian and he has this nice house on the water that he bought for a bag of peanuts. I looked around and said "wow these people don't understand what a goldmine they are sitting on". All it takes is a few Asian families buying in and then it will skyrocket. G Dale is spot on....... Buy low . Sell high. I remember when patchouge was a dump.
Where do Asian families tend to buy, though? Good school districts. That's where Mastic fails. If the William Floyd School district improved, they might consider it. That's a long shot.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:29 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Patchogue started revitalization a while ago. Houses are still cheap. The Mastics are a good investment if you turn it into a grow house, otherwise forget it.
Also worth remembering that Patchogue had a downtown/Main Street area to begin with, while Mastic has not. Patchogue's revitalization focused on that, and its proximity to the LIRR.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:36 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Also worth remembering that Patchogue had a downtown/Main Street area to begin with, while Mastic has not. Patchogue's revitalization focused on that, and its proximity to the LIRR.
Mastic is a dumpster fire of a town. Invest and Mastic do not belong in the same sentence, unless you define "invest" by never actually gaining a penny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island