Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 02:06 PM

44 posts, read 41,411 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking for advise to turn my 2 car garage into living space. I do not have a dining room, so this new space would be turned into my living room. And my current living room would be my dining room. I live in the town of Huntington.

1. How do I go about doing this?
2. What permits do I need?
3. Where can I find out, how much my property tax would raise before doing this work?
4. Average cost?

My dad and husband are extremely handy. My dad owns a construction company but would I need to hire a architect?
Or should I just hire a company and have them do this work?

Also, do you think it will hurt resale value? I think I’d want to move to a better school district once we have kids but that’s at least 6-7 Year down the line. I am also thinking about putting a shed (built attached to th house), with one that matches the house roof. The shed would be INFRONT the garage above the driveway. As there is no spate at the side.

So as an example for google, she shed may look like this.

The houses on the block does not look like this. We’d be the only one.

Last edited by qb61913; 07-15-2018 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 04:25 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,943,025 times
Who wants dining rooms anymore? If anything, dining rooms are being converted into other types of living spaces.

Converting a garage MAY impact resale value. Yes you're increasing living space, but then you'll also be increasing your taxes, as well as taking that garage space away for most people that need that for storage...or for, you know, cars.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:50 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,017,595 times
IMHO, think long and hard before doing away with a garage entirely. At least leave a 1-car garage remaining, because there are buyers who won't look at a house that has ZERO garage space... whether they use it for a car or not. We bought a house with a partial one-car garage (former owner took 60% of the original 2-car garage away to make a second full bath and a laundry area) assuming that it would be "no big deal" to eliminate part of the bathroom and get enough space to park an average size car. Guess what, the estimates were $20K - $25K and it's just not worth it. I hate having to park the car outside 24/7 but it is what it is.

Re: the carport (what you called a shed) idea, you probably will not be able to put it in front of the garage without getting a variance. It depends on how far your house is from the curb and what your setback regulations are. A typical setback is 40 feet. In order to get a variance you have to apply and there will be a hearing. If even one of your neighbors (who will be notified of the hearing) object to it, you won't be able to get it and thus, no carport.

Your taxes will go up if you convert garage space to living space. You need to talk to the Assessor to get a ballpark idea of how much. If you do (or can) add a carport I think they consider that as a "portico" because of the roof, so it will be taxed also but not much. Again this is something you need to talk to the Town Assessor about.

To find out what your setback regulations are, talk to the Building Department. They will give you an info sheet showing the front, side, and rear setbacks.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:31 PM

551 posts, read 1,567,477 times
Wait, garages are a place people park cars?

Old 07-16-2018, 10:20 AM

19,580 posts, read 20,395,815 times
Don't murder a poor innocent garage.
Buy a bigger house.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:55 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,553,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qb61913 View Post
Hi, I am looking for advise to turn my 2 car garage into living space. I do not have a dining room, so this new space would be turned into my living room. And my current living room would be my dining room. I live in the town of Huntington.

1. How do I go about doing this?
2. What permits do I need?
3. Where can I find out, how much my property tax would raise before doing this work?
4. Average cost?

My dad and husband are extremely handy. My dad owns a construction company but would I need to hire a architect?
Or should I just hire a company and have them do this work?

Also, do you think it will hurt resale value? I think I’d want to move to a better school district once we have kids but that’s at least 6-7 Year down the line. I am also thinking about putting a shed (built attached to th house), with one that matches the house roof. The shed would be INFRONT the garage above the driveway. As there is no spate at the side.

So as an example for google, she shed may look like this.

The houses on the block does not look like this. We’d be the only one.
If your dad owns a construction company, he should be able to calculate the costs for you.
You indicated you live in the town of Huntington. Contact the town and ask what permits are involved (if any) converting a garage into living space. You do not have to give them your name or address to make a simple inquiry.

Personally, I would not give up garage space for a dining room -- especially if the long term plan is to move to another school district in 7 years or less.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:54 AM

215 posts, read 245,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qb61913 View Post
do you think it will hurt resale value?
When we bought our house we considered another property where the previous owner had converted the garage to a den. It was a nice space, but in hindsight - we'd be hating life if I didn't have a garage and feel like we dodged a bullet by passing on it.

Obviously to each their own, but not having an attached garage would be a deal-breaker for us on a future purchase.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:05 PM

19,580 posts, read 20,395,815 times
I only buy properties based on the garage.
Couldn't care less about the house.
Acreage and a garage are what matters.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:26 PM

22,613 posts, read 36,507,081 times
Not a good plan if you plan to be there less than 10 years. 6-7 years will
Go by in the blink of an eye. Leave it alone and let the next owner worry about the dining room (which as mentioned are out of vogue right now).
That carport is hideous. Can't see it being approved and definitely can't see
Someone wanting that on re-sale.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:44 AM

20,814 posts, read 28,127,344 times
Not a good idea. It will hurt the resale value if someone needs a garage. I know my husband could not live without one, attached or detached. That's a car port not a shed and looks Hideous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: