Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 06:12 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I agree with everything that MarkJames said. Right now, it's possible that some of the administrators/secretaries are out on vacation. Some school districts close their offices on Fridays during the summer and they also have shorter hours on the other days. In a couple of weeks, everyone should be back, but the shorter hours will continue until the last week of August. I don't know about HHH, but had heard that Plainview was a bit stingy when it comes to giving services. If the district isn't calling you back, you may have to just go there in person a couple of times. You do have to the be the one on top of it, even after the school year starts. Don't wait for the teacher to call you if you want a progress report. As for speech, I imagine that right now he gets 1:1. In kindergarten, it might be a pull out during class time with a small group.

Always ask for a little more than what you expect to get. You can always pull back on services later if your child is doing well. If there is one, my guess is that the school district will want to place him in an inclusion class, unless you can prove that he needs more individualized assistance.
I’ve heard the same about Plainview from a parent. It all comes down to the diagnosis and classification. Once those are set some level of services are mandated by law under IDEA.

I agree with asking for a little more than what you expect. I played this game with my district. Need push out counseling 2x a week? Ask for 3, they may suggest 1, and agree on 2.

Read up on 504 and IDEA and learn your rights. If the district you are moving to has full day kindergarten and the district wants part day, assert your rights to a free and appropriate public education (FAPE).

Three other tips for OP:

1) as hard as it is, treat this unemotionally like a business exercise. If you make it too personal or attack CSE members it will not help. This is the reason why I handled it and not my wife.

2) everything has to do with educational outcomes. You need services to help your son succeed at grade level. That’s all they are required to do, and all they should do. But if you and your doctor feel what is being provided isn’t enough, push for more.

3) you can call CSE meetings anytime once your son is registered. The law is quite clear on timing and notification. These things work in your favor. Any time you feel something isn’t right call a meeting, which they have to hold within 30 days.

Lastly, if this is all overwhelming and you don’t think you or your spouse can handle it, there are consultants and attorneys who can help for a charge. Or you can ask for a parent advocate to assist if the district offers one.

My suggestion would be to learn as much as possible and try to handle it yourself at first. Once you get an attorney involved CSE tends to clamp down and get defensive. If on the other hand you treat it like a procedural exercise, advocating for your child, I have found they might bend in your direction because you are easier to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 01:48 PM

4 posts, read 3,083 times
I would highly recommend getting an advocate as well to help you fight the school district.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:50 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
I am going a step further than Oct.72 and mark james and suggesting a consult with an attorney that specializes in these services. They know how to navigate this and what to say and as previously pointed out, not sat. I would as Markjames suggests try to navigate it at first by yourself (and spouse), if applicable. I would however speak with the attorney first so you are familiar with what you can and can't expect. Knowledge is power and don't be afraid to request the meetings as Markjames suggested. I also advocate for keeping an accurate journal or diary of all you are doing, including who and when you speak to someone and what they said. This will go a long way when and if you are ignored.

We have a dear friend who has 2 autistic daughters that after fighting every step of the way with the first, they got an attorney involved (and it was one of the top districts, too), for the second and her services were much better. The first is just below Aspergers and the second the total opposite. Both are in their 20's now, but the attorney retired and moved, otherwise I would get his name for you. Good luck

Old 07-26-2018, 04:05 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
IME, the middle of the road school districts are more liberal with providing services.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:43 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am going a step further than Oct.72 and mark james and suggesting a consult with an attorney that specializes in these services. They know how to navigate this and what to say and as previously pointed out, not sat. I would as Markjames suggests try to navigate it at first by yourself (and spouse), if applicable. I would however speak with the attorney first so you are familiar with what you can and can't expect. Knowledge is power and don't be afraid to request the meetings as Markjames suggested. I also advocate for keeping an accurate journal or diary of all you are doing, including who and when you speak to someone and what they said. This will go a long way when and if you are ignored.

We have a dear friend who has 2 autistic daughters that after fighting every step of the way with the first, they got an attorney involved (and it was one of the top districts, too), for the second and her services were much better. The first is just below Aspergers and the second the total opposite. Both are in their 20's now, but the attorney retired and moved, otherwise I would get his name for you. Good luck
Never hurts to have an attorney or advocate engaged. My only suggestion as you allude to is to try and work it out first, maybe with the attorney in the background. I know in my district as soon as you mentioned “attorney” the committee would clam up and the chair would handle everything as they were on the defensive. They would provide only what was absolutely and legally required.

Sometimes you get more with honey than vinegar...

Old 07-26-2018, 06:26 PM

283 posts, read 581,388 times
Plainview does have inclusion classes but the district is not the best for special ed. It’s a fight to get services and you’d likely end up frustrated by the process. I had been through it and it was a bad experience for us. We wound up paying big bills for private services and within 2 months our problems were addressed and fixed. I see kids in speech therapy for years through the schools. I otherwise love the district.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:52 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Never hurts to have an attorney or advocate engaged. My only suggestion as you allude to is to try and work it out first, maybe with the attorney in the background. I know in my district as soon as you mentioned “attorney” the committee would clam up and the chair would handle everything as they were on the defensive. They would provide only what was absolutely and legally required.

Sometimes you get more with honey than vinegar...
Agreed, 100%. Spot on for their experience too. But in their case the needs of the 1st were minimal when compared to the needs of the second. They used their experience at first and then gave in and went the attorney route because it became a chess match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island