Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 11:29 AM

57 posts, read 46,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yeah I better watch out for all of those nassau county deer infesting the streets!
The migrating deer populations are getting closer and closer to Nassau, so much so that you can find them in places like Plainview and Syosset. I’m not saying you’re gonna see one chilling on a street corner in Franklin Square, but they’re getting closer to more urban areas and at any rate they’ve begun to spread ticks to Nassau. Heck I saw a dead one just before the tolls at the George Washington Bridge in Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah highly desirable when you slam into a deer a few feet away you cant even see. Ugh you couldn't pay me to live up there. I actually like densely populated areas, if and when I leave LI it will certainly be another metro area. Different strokes like you say...
There’s this thing called high-beams that ya you use so you can safely see the road, I know us islanders are not always so familiar with that part of our car lol. But the point I’m trying to make here is that Long Island has superseded its status as a suburban paradise and has become more of an urban/city hybrid mix in many places due to poor planning. There’s so many cars on the sides of streets in Nassau that it looks like the city. Also density is fine, but it has to be done right, as it is with the downtown renewal projects centered around LIRR stops, not this patchwork collection of unsightly, wasteful strip malls and cloistered single family homes on tiny lots (much of that can’t be changed because those homes were built during the mid century boom, but take a look at more thoughtfully constructed suburbs around the country that have more green space, less congestion, and vibrant downtowns).

Old 08-10-2018, 11:39 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogentChas View Post
The migrating deer populations are getting closer and closer to Nassau, so much so that you can find them in places like Plainview and Syosset. I’m not saying you’re gonna see one chilling on a street corner in Franklin Square, but they’re getting closer to more urban areas and at any rate they’ve begun to spread ticks to Nassau. Heck I saw a dead one just before the tolls at the George Washington Bridge in Jersey.
Im sure they will be running across the cross bronx in packs before we know it!

Old 08-10-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Im sure they will be running across the cross bronx in packs before we know it!
We’re not talking Alfred Hitchcock levels here, but still the point remains that overdevelopment and lack of natural predators have produced unmanageable deer populations, among other wildlife. We have to take responsibility for our actions.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:01 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
#fakenews

Deer are scapegoats for ticks.
Rodents are the number one carrier of ticks.
But, it's easier to drive like an idiot and run over a rat or squirrel than it is to run over a deer.
People suck. Lets wipe **** out because our grass and flowers get eaten and we can't drive 55 on a side street at night because of those wretched deer.People and their lawns are far more important than some stupid animal. We're just so much better because we can drive cars and have cell phones and nail appointments.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:31 PM

558 posts, read 299,502 times
Quote:
There’s this thing called high-beams that ya you use so you can safely see the road, I know us islanders are not always so familiar with that part of our car lol. But the point I’m trying to make here is that Long Island has superseded its status as a suburban paradise and has become more of an urban/city hybrid mix in many places due to poor planning. There’s so many cars on the sides of streets in Nassau that it looks like the city. Also density is fine, but it has to be done right, as it is with the downtown renewal projects centered around LIRR stops, not this patchwork collection of unsightly, wasteful strip malls and cloistered single family homes on tiny lots (much of that can’t be changed because those homes were built during the mid century boom, but take a look at more thoughtfully constructed suburbs around the country that have more green space, less congestion, and vibrant downtowns).
Your description sounds a lot like Hampton Roads in Virginia. They have five municipalities, two countries and no regional coordination. They have about 1.7 million, Nassau and Suffolk is more like 2.8. Oh, and it's also attached to the largest metro in the US.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:44 PM

16 posts, read 8,649 times
Quote:
Im sure your former neighbors here are just devastated you left for NC.
I'm sure I don't care. A whole block fulla Massengill...you fit right in.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:45 PM

16 posts, read 8,649 times
Quote:
For your needs, the lower and mid-Hudson would be the best of both worlds. The Island is a trap and once you’re entrenched career wise and family wise, it can be very difficult to leave.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:58 PM

[quote=TownDweller;52762636]Your description sounds a lot like Hampton Roads in Virginia. They have five municipalities, two countries and no regional coordination. They have about 1.7 million, Nassau and Suffolk is more like 2.8. Oh, and it's also attached to the largest metro in the US.[/QUOTE

There’s something to that. I mean there’s no perfect place out there, and I guess LI should be cut some slack since we were the first suburb, so through trial and era newer suburbs have been more artfully constructed. I know NOVA takes a lot of heat, but even there suburbs are a bit more pleasant in terms of people having their own space and greenery. Granted less people, and traffic can still be a bear, but LI is still worse.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
#fakenews

Deer are scapegoats for ticks.
Rodents are the number one carrier of ticks.
But, it's easier to drive like an idiot and run over a rat or squirrel than it is to run over a deer.
People suck. Lets wipe **** out because our grass and flowers get eaten and we can't drive 55 on a side street at night because of those wretched deer.People and their lawns are far more important than some stupid animal. We're just so much better because we can drive cars and have cell phones and nail appointments.

https://patch.com/new-york/portwashi...s-gobble-ticks

These quail are a cool solution to the tick problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island