Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 11:46 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Zip code 11004 is located in Queens County.

While some zip codes share a primary and secondary county like "11040" (New Hyde Park primary is Nassau County and Queens is secondary county), 11004 does not.
Walter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 01:26 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Walter?
We do miss him!

Old 08-06-2018, 02:17 PM

39 posts, read 27,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Zip code 11004 is located in Queens County.

While some zip codes share a primary and secondary county like "11040" (New Hyde Park primary is Nassau County and Queens is secondary county), 11004 does not.
My posts were deleted...nothing new...

As I said...this is a little known benefit, but it is legit. I filed 3 tax returns while living in Glen Oaks, and due to having what NY considers a Floral Park zip code (11004), I did not pay NYC income tax despite clearly living in NYC limits. I questioned it with my payroll dept as well as NYS. It's legit. You put down the Floral Park school district when you file, and it goes through. Unless this has since changed, it worked for me for 3 years...

Old 08-09-2018, 10:24 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
Yes, I spotted you elsewhere talking about the KJ issue in Monroe. I'm living in the Rochester area and am eager to get out. Snow. Zero growth. And I'm paying 4% of assessed value in annual property taxes. So am looking around and the Hudson Valley is starting to look good.

I grew up in NYC and couldn’t afford Li. Plus I didn’t just didn’t want to be stuck on that island. I hate the way it looks, I hate the way it is designed, and it is way overdeveloped. I think the Hudson Valley is better for you. You will get more for your money and more land if that is what you are looking for.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:54 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
LI is ugly now.
It's a super model hit by a train.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:18 AM

57 posts, read 46,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
That has to be a pretty long ride from Poughkeepsie. Further up the line must be closer to 2 hours one way, wouldn't it? Especially if driving from a river town to the Harlem line.
Its about an hour and a half from Poughkeepsie to Grand Central (Hudson Line), which is pretty long, but to compare to Long Island, many central and Eastern Suffolk County towns would have a similar LIRR commute to Manhattan and you’ll have less space and more stress than on the Island. You’d at least be returning to a more peaceful and relaxing environment in a Hudson Valley community if you had to commute such a distance for work. Ideally, you’d find work in Putnam or Westchester but live in Dutchess County so that you’d get NYC/NYC suburbs pay and at the same time more house/apartment, lower taxes, and a reasonable commute.

Last edited by CogentChas; 08-10-2018 at 02:27 AM..

Old 08-10-2018, 06:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogentChas View Post
Its about an hour and a half from Poughkeepsie to Grand Central (Hudson Line), which is pretty long, but to compare to Long Island, many central and Eastern Suffolk County towns would have a similar LIRR commute to Manhattan and you’ll have less space and more stress than on the Island. You’d at least be returning to a more peaceful and relaxing environment in a Hudson Valley community if you had to commute such a distance for work. Ideally, you’d find work in Putnam or Westchester but live in Dutchess County so that you’d get NYC/NYC suburbs pay and at the same time more house/apartment, lower taxes, and a reasonable commute.
I imagine you’d get a seat too and no “change at Jamaica”.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:15 AM

16 posts, read 8,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I imagine you’d get a seat too and no “change at Jamaica”.
We looked in Ulster before settling on NC. It's very VERY do-able. Most people overlook the buses. They cost a bit more, but the schedules are more favorable than Metro-North. I have friends that have been doing it for years and find the buses to be far more reliable than the trains.

We were looking in Gardner (New Paltz Schools)....there's plenty to do up there, with nice downtown areas and an artsy vibe. There's a free park and ride just off exit 18 on the NYS Thruway and buses leave every half hour for Grand Central (90 minute ride). My train ride from Massapequa was an hour each way as is, and seats were not guaranteed no matter how early I left. Not to mention the inevitable delays and nightmare commutes when the LIRR had problems (which is 3x a week).

Lower taxes, more land, a laid back atmosphere and I'd give it a .5 on the doosh-meter (Massapequa and south shore LI in general are off the charts - can't even get a reading).

Old 08-10-2018, 08:41 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord Mutha Mutha View Post
We looked in Ulster before settling on NC. It's very VERY do-able. Most people overlook the buses. They cost a bit more, but the schedules are more favorable than Metro-North. I have friends that have been doing it for years and find the buses to be far more reliable than the trains.

We were looking in Gardner (New Paltz Schools)....there's plenty to do up there, with nice downtown areas and an artsy vibe. There's a free park and ride just off exit 18 on the NYS Thruway and buses leave every half hour for Grand Central (90 minute ride). My train ride from Massapequa was an hour each way as is, and seats were not guaranteed no matter how early I left. Not to mention the inevitable delays and nightmare commutes when the LIRR had problems (which is 3x a week).

Lower taxes, more land, a laid back atmosphere and I'd give it a .5 on the doosh-meter (Massapequa and south shore LI in general are off the charts - can't even get a reading).
Ulster is also the middle of friggen nowhere. Ill never forget how dark it was driving through some of the backroads up there at night. Not to mention much more snow up there. Waaaay too rural for me. If thats your thing knock yourself out, for me no thanks.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:48 AM

345 posts, read 338,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Ulster is also the middle of friggen nowhere. Ill never forget how dark it was driving through some of the backroads up there at night. Not to mention much more snow up there. Waaaay too rural for me. If thats your thing knock yourself out, for me no thanks.
Ulster the middle of nowhere??? You're 20 minutes from Poughkeepsie and less than an hour from Albany. Another 3 hours north or 2 hours west is the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island