Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 03:16 PM

175 posts, read 602,213 times

Advertisements

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 03:46 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylauren View Post
Looking to park different times in the am ranging from 6:00 am to 7:15 am
Commuted for many years:

During non-inclement weather, Cold Spring Harbor is great! Although the 7:15 is getting tight for a spot.

In the winter, nothing beats parking in the garage(s) at the Huntington station! No digging out... (did that ) And no getting wet while waiting for the train on stormy days (especially when they're running late)...

Old 09-04-2018, 01:51 PM

718 posts, read 620,113 times
You shouldn't have to be concerened about safety. The MTA pays it's glorified security guards with guns 200k a year to play cop at the train station.

You rarely see any on patrol at any station on long island. Must be nice to make all that dough just to hang out and hide somewhere.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:04 PM

622 posts, read 852,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1174Sixer View Post
That.

I’ve been commuting almost 15 years now from Huntington and never had any issues until recently - had some damage to my car in the south garage and suspect it was kids hanging out drinking in there – seems to be common lately…

I know another person (not personally, but heard) that had all 4 rims stolen and the car was left on blocks a few weeks after…

North side at least has cameras, though I wouldn’t bet on if they work or not.

Cold Spring has limited parking unless you are super-early.

*Edit - also forgot to add - I think non-resident parking at Huntington might be specific lots, so you may not even be able to use the garage (think the sign says 'resident only'?), but you might want to check with the town on that.

After taking the LIRR for 25 years, 15 out of Huntington Station, I've seen it all. Coming home one night back in 2004, about a dozen or so cars were up on blocks, rims, tires stolen. Mostly from Caddies, Bimmers, etc. After local roads started to really grow congested, I stopped going to Huntington and parked locally at Kings Park. I worried little about having rims/tires/batteries stolen, but much more about the damage my fellow commuters wrought on my car. Dings, scratches and the occassional idiot who parks so close, you can't even open the driver's side door. Oh, and don't forget about the maniac who has to be out of the parking lot first... so what if he hits your hit on the way out...

#notmissingthelirrandmyfellowcommuters

Old 09-08-2018, 06:06 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
about a dozen or so cars were up on blocks, rims, tires stolen. Mostly from Caddies, Bimmers, etc.

#notmissingthelirrandmyfellowcommuters
When I was a kid people had "station cars" usually an old beater that people didn't give a crap about.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:45 PM

9 posts, read 7,500 times
Huntington train station is in a sketchy area. When my father had to commute to the city he would either drive or use CSH. Huntington LIRR is across the street from government housing projects which are known for their gunshots which can be heard throughout huntington station at night.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:09 PM

622 posts, read 852,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mking87 View Post
Huntington train station is in a sketchy area. When my father had to commute to the city he would either drive or use CSH. Huntington LIRR is across the street from government housing projects which are known for their gunshots which can be heard throughout huntington station at night.

Where do you get your information from? The housing projects to the northwest have been there for 40-50 years and really haven't been too bad over the last 10 years. There's subsidized housing just to the north of the north side parking garage and that's been fine. Just east of Huntington train station is the new Avalon condo development, $3-4k/mo rent.

So, gunshots? Nah, I don't think so. The occasional car break-in, maybe, but there are plenty of $50k cars (and up) and they seem secure.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:11 PM

215 posts, read 248,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mking87 View Post
I'd actually bet there are more gunshots heard on the south side of the tracks near Fariground Ave then there is on the north side by the 'projects'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island