Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 06:33 PM

260 posts, read 451,681 times

Advertisements

Does Long Island have too many of this type of housing?
Is it strictly enforces?

I own a house. This article made me curious.

https://patch.com/new-york/sayville/...ue-zone-change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 08:02 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,178,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Scout View Post
Does Long Island have too many of this type of housing?
Is it strictly enforces?

I own a house. This article made me curious.

https://patch.com/new-york/sayville/...ue-zone-change
Yes, in my experience, it is strictly enforced.

Do we have too many of these?
Long Island has an aging population and so far, none of these developments go unsold - ergo there aren't too many at this point.

Cost of land being what it is (as well as availability of larger, buildable parcels), most will continue to be built further east in Suffolk County

Old 09-03-2018, 09:08 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,337,510 times
I never understood the opposition to these developments. Empty nesters sell there homes to the next generation. Then you have a bunch of people that are older and aren't going to cause any issues in the community. Bonus they are all paying school taxes and adding no kids to the district.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:02 AM

35 posts, read 32,777 times
Yes - most are strictly enforced.
Generally, units must be permanently occupied by at least one resident over the age of 55. Owning it and not occupying it is against stipulation and can be legally enforced. My parents purchased a unit and upon signing of the real estate contract, had to provide the HOA with proof of age for at least one person who was listed on the contract. You can have children living with you but as stated at least one person must be 55+. A married couple with one spouse under 55 is acceptable as long as the other guidelines are met.

As a side note....can someone be successful at "breaking" the rules after the purchase? Probably, for some time. But do you really think the majority of retired seniors (some of whom may be a little extra "nosy") wouldn't catch-on after a while and make a bit of a stink about it? Not worth it to me....

I also can't understand why others try to stop these communities. They are usually gated, kept very nice and do not contribute much to the towns infrastructure, schools, etc. and you can be pretty sure it won't consist of a rowdy bunch of troublemakers...I'd much rather have one of those near me than something else. Or is it that these NIMBY's simply don't want ANYTHING near them?

Old 09-04-2018, 07:38 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,966,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBEW3 View Post
Or is it that these NIMBY's simply don't want ANYTHING near them?

Old 09-04-2018, 01:10 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,055,260 times
Reading the linked petition and the appended comments, it appears that the property was originally slated to be subdivided into lots for eight SFHs on about one acre each. So the new car/traffic load in and out of that new development would probably have been between 16 and 30 most likely, depending on who bought the eventual houses. The new proposal is for 32 over-55 townhouses. The likely new-traffic load would thus be double the original plan/expectation for the eight houses. So I can see one objector's point there.

The property formerly was a riding stable called Outlaw Acres and is close to Nicolls Road and not far from the Bayport Aerodrome.

Another commenter says that there are "an Apartment Complex and Townhouses south and north of the proposed site" which is probably why the developer thinks they have a shot at getting an additional one through.... a situation hinted at in this 2011 report on opposition to the Bayport Meadows over-55 community which is currently seeking room to expand even more.

https://patch.com/new-york/sayville/...once9c1d2d4ca0

According to the developer's website they are trying to get approval to add another section to be called "Bayport Gardens" to their existing community next to Sunrise Highway. The one in the new (OP's) Patch article may be from a different developer.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:31 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,502,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I never understood the opposition to these developments. Empty nesters sell there homes to the next generation. Then you have a bunch of people that are older and aren't going to cause any issues in the community. Bonus they are all paying school taxes and adding no kids to the district.
Because when built they have to have a section for "Low-income minorities, or section 8 types. Everyone I have seen has a small percentage opened to either families or section 8.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:10 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,337,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Because when built they have to have a section for "Low-income minorities, or section 8 types. Everyone I have seen has a small percentage opened to either families or section 8.
My mom lives in a newly constructed 55+ built in 2016, with the final phase finishing this year. Town of Huntington required about 20 of the 260 units to be "affordable". Her development has a rule no one under 22 can reside in the condo. the 20 affordable units where 1br 1 bath condos priced from 215k - 315k. 55+ means 55+ not families. If families are moving into 55+ housing that's BS and the bylaws should prevent that. I am 99.999% positive the SD zoned for my Moms development can legally deny any child residing there since you have to be over 22 and they only have to educate you until 21.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:43 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,055,260 times
Quote:
they only have to educate you until 21.
Not true. As per New York State law, compulsory education ends at age 16.

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/new-yo...tion-laws.html

Education law/requirements have nothing to do with over-55 community law. The ages allowed/disallowed in 55+ communities are governed by the Housing for Older Persons Act that was added to the Federal Fair Housing Act in 1988. For any other kind of housing, discrimination based on familial status (ages of those in the family) is not allowed. The special exemption from the age discrimination provision was added specifically for 55+ communities re: the ages of other family members such as children. Your mom's community chose age 22 but they could have chosen any age they wished.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 09-04-2018 at 04:05 PM..

Old 09-04-2018, 04:49 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,502,796 times
Quote:
If families are moving into 55+ housing that's BS and the bylaws should prevent that. .
Must be different in the Town of Oyster Bay. I know they were sued years back by minorities for their 55 and over TOWN HOUSING. Now each one is basically a section 8 drug addict dumping ground. Used to be something great for retired people of social security who actually worked during their lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island