Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 11:28 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
Would solar power your house during a blackout? If so for how long? And would it power when sun is not out? (Night)

Does it store power on some huge battery or something? I want to be able to power my CAC and/or oil burner during blackout.
No, solar panels will not power your house during a blackout. All solar panel systems include an automatic shut off feature that shut them down in the event of a blackout. This is because utility workers could be killed by working on a power line while your solar panels are pumping power into it.

The only way to use solar to power your home during a blackout is by having a battery bank installed. These are quite expensive and can easily double the cost of the solar panel system. You're generally better off just getting a gas powered generator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 05:18 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
No, solar panels will not power your house during a blackout. All solar panel systems include an automatic shut off feature that shut them down in the event of a blackout. This is because utility workers could be killed by working on a power line while your solar panels are pumping power into it.

The only way to use solar to power your home during a blackout is by having a battery bank installed. These are quite expensive and can easily double the cost of the solar panel system. You're generally better off just getting a gas powered generator.
Plus I doubt even the typical bank of batteries (like a Tesla Powerwall) would power central air for more than a few hours, if it even starts it.

I can run multiple units on my generator but that’s because it’s big (11,400 continuous) and I have soft start kits installed on the compressors so the LRA is a lot lower.

Old 02-06-2021, 02:08 PM

46 posts, read 40,784 times
Hey it's OP.

I never did the project back in 2018, I just started getting quotes again. Looks like ~$10-12k excluding permits.

Generac wants to the put automatic transfer switch outside next to the electric meter. Kohler says in the basement next to the breaker panel. Thoughts?

Also, has anyone heard of a *significant* backlog of getting permits from Nassau County fire marshal? Like 6+ months???

Old 02-06-2021, 03:09 PM

48 posts, read 29,464 times
Just booked someone to install a Generac and they are backlogged until August.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:04 PM

551 posts, read 1,576,208 times
I am not one to tout professionals who do what you pay them for, but I had an unusually pleasant experience on a generator install two years ago at my house on the north fork. We had multiple proposals of all sorts (propane, no natural gas), but most gave no consideration to the aesthetics or logistics (i.e., plopping the generator in my garden or next to the patio) of where to put the unit, its proximity to the main panel, or bearing in mind that we already had a 500 gallon buried propane tank that served our pool heater, stove and barbeque, but was 200+ feet from the house. Shore Power (pure Generac shop I believe) were the only folks that put some thought into this, and came up with a proposal to pull the generator feed through the existing conduit between our house and detached garage (200+ feet from the house), and put the generator behind the garage where it is virtually inaudible from the house. We sunk an additional 500 gallon propane tank joined to the existing tank. Pulling a one inch generator feed line through 200 feet of conduit was no small task. They are in Center Moriches. Nick D'Amico was brilliant.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:29 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienCheese View Post
Hey it's OP.

I never did the project back in 2018, I just started getting quotes again. Looks like ~$10-12k excluding permits.

Generac wants to the put automatic transfer switch outside next to the electric meter. Kohler says in the basement next to the breaker panel. Thoughts?

Also, has anyone heard of a *significant* backlog of getting permits from Nassau County fire marshal? Like 6+ months???
I can’t comment on the permit delay but I’m sure many are doing home upgrades while stuck during the pandemic.

The ATS placement doesn’t really matter, it just needs to be between the meter and the panel. Both are likely weatherproof.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:35 AM

46 posts, read 40,784 times
The Kohler guy said a client who contracted in August 2020 still hasn't had it done because of the NCFM permit delay. The Generac guy said they're pushed out into June 2021 (not so bad) bc of supplier issues. I haven't had the opportunity yet to ask them about the permit issue; I'll call the local building department to see if I can get information on this too

Old 02-07-2021, 10:41 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
What a difference 2 years makes since thread was started. You may what to look into solar now. They have batteries these days that can run your house for 3 days. And that’s without any sunlight and complete blackout which never happens.

Old 02-08-2021, 04:42 AM

3,225 posts, read 1,605,586 times
Anyone have any experience getting a Tesla Powerwall installed on Long Island?

According to the calculator on the Tesla page, I can get a Powerwall installed and if I add in the solar panels, after rebates the price is 25% less than just the Powerwall by itself. It seems like you get solar for free and a 25% discount on the battery.

Old 02-08-2021, 05:43 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Just backfeed your panel through a breaker...Simple! Done! No permits necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island