Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 09:48 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Just backfeed your panel through a breaker...Simple! Done! No permits necessary.
At least get an interlock switch. They’re cheap, effective and meet national code. Between that and a generator socket it shouldn’t cost that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 12:43 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Not yet but I’m almost at the point where I’m going to start looking into it all. I’ve been waiting and waiting until the batteries could hold enough juice to power my house for 3/4 days. Now they have a battery cell could could run it for 7 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
Anyone have any experience getting a Tesla Powerwall installed on Long Island?

According to the calculator on the Tesla page, I can get a Powerwall installed and if I add in the solar panels, after rebates the price is 25% less than just the Powerwall by itself. It seems like you get solar for free and a 25% discount on the battery.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:37 AM

3,226 posts, read 1,606,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Not yet but I’m almost at the point where I’m going to start looking into it all. I’ve been waiting and waiting until the batteries could hold enough juice to power my house for 3/4 days. Now they have a battery cell could could run it for 7 days.
Did you look into this any further? I am back to looking into getting this done.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:13 PM

615 posts, read 448,602 times
There's needs and there's wants. You don't really need an automatic. For your home, what's so bad about activating it manually? You don't really need a whole house generator. Just one to power basic, needed appliances, like fridge and some lights. 8k plus or minus some seems good. Keep it simple and inexpensive. Don't be talked into oversizing unit.

Old 09-16-2021, 05:49 PM

48 posts, read 28,898 times
Amazing how many people installed/bought generators after Sandy.

Poor bastards didn't think of it prior to Sandy, a 100 year storm

LMFAO

Old 09-17-2021, 08:19 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Good article on this topic:

https://theprepared.com/homestead/re...ed-generators/

Whole house generators are mostly overkill unless you're elderly, a group home setting, or have F-U money where you need or can afford to have someone else maintain the system for you and don't want to worry about rotating fuel, shifting loads, can't live without central air, etc. A 2KW portable generator can power all of the necessities - fridge, lighting, internet, computer, cell charging, etc. and can be gotten for under $1k.

Old 09-23-2021, 06:30 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post

Whole house generators are mostly overkill unless you're elderly, a group home setting, or have F-U money where you need or can afford to have someone else maintain the system for you and don't want to worry about rotating fuel, shifting loads, can't live without central air, etc. A 2KW portable generator can power all of the necessities - fridge, lighting, internet, computer, cell charging, etc. and can be gotten for under $1k.
The other factor is how often you expect your power going out.

I lost power for 5 days after Irene. 9 days after Sandy, 9 days after Irma in FL. So I’ve got generators (big one and small inverter).

Now I live in the Atlanta suburbs and have only lost power 2x in 3 years, one due to my transformer at the street being swapped out which was planned. Because I bought a $3K portable generator in FL, that sunk cost moved with me…which I couldn’t have done with a whole house unit.

So every few months I start and run my generator for an hour to charge the battery and test things just in case.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post

I am looking into whole house generator so my water pipes in the attic do not freeze,recently one 9 ft pipe in my attic burst and I have to replace all the drywalls in my garage.
there are like 9-11 pipes up there with water heater,furnace and A/C

Old 09-24-2021, 03:39 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I am looking into whole house generator so my water pipes in the attic do not freeze,recently one 9 ft pipe in my attic burst and I have to replace all the drywalls in my garage.
there are like 9-11 pipes up there with water heater,furnace and A/C
You have all that in your attic? If I were you I would focus on making your roof work insulated. That’s crazy to have all that in your attic that’s uninsulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island