Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 04:04 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times

Advertisements

School buses are dangerous?? That's one I haven't heard before. What's the rationale?

I just did a quick google and found these comments on Quora:

"California does have school buses, but the ridership is the lowest in the nation. This has led school buses to become optional in California. Why is ridership so low? Because of California’s driving culture. In California, everyone drives their car regularly to run errands, commute to work, and send their kids to school."

(Well, LI has a driving culture too but we still have buses, LOL)

"We [CA] do have school buses, but you have to pay for it, and the bus may not go near enough to your home to make it worth using."

"There are plenty of school districts in California that still have school buses, particularly in smaller cities. ... In all fairness, these buses serve the elementary school, with kids of kindergarten age up to 5th or 6th grade."

"Each district is different. Not all districts in California have bussing. I think transportation must be provided for special education students, but I could be wrong. My district has bussing but it is limited. Students have to live pretty far away from their school to qualify. Students must also pay for a bus pass or qualify for free bussing. Budget cuts have caused some districts to cut back or, in some cases, eliminate bussing."

So it seems to be a money thing rather than a buses-are-dangerous thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 05:38 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Surprised no one mention the food out in the West. There is tons of fusion type food and overpriced organic range free locally sourced foods etc etc. I don’t mind it personally but it wore on me.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:12 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And still have to fundraise for everything. I follow a blog by a woman who lives in Thousand Oaks. They had to fundraise at her kids' school to get a PE teacher. It's really haves and have nots.....if you don't live somewhere wealthy where the parents can pay for EVERYTHING you're going to have crappy schools. No school buses either, and while NY has crazy union propaganda ask anyone in CALI about school buses and they're like "OMG SO DANGEROUS" LOL.
Yes have family in SoCal .. no buses for them either!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:14 PM

I personally love 4 distinct seasons. CA great to visit. I would get annoyed with the weather day in & day out.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:02 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
They have 4 seasons, drought, fire, flood and smog

Old 09-07-2018, 08:32 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
No distinct seasons=Groundhog's Day

Couldn't do it. I'd go nuts.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirios View Post
This post is not meant to bash LI. Just thinking why so many love to live on LI. Other areas, such as Southern California, have similar qualities, but with nicer weather.
Near water/beaches. Near a big city. Both have similar liberal political governments and high taxes. Both have a lot of traffic. So besides family or job reasons, why wouldn’t you choose the area with nice weather nearly all year vs months of cold, snow and ice? If you like LI it seems like you should love Southern California.
People who live in SoCal think it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Not everyone wants to live there. They have their problems just like everywhere else. There is no perfect place. Not everyone likes the weather there.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post

Me neither. Plus having Christmas when it’s warm seems weird.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:56 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirios View Post
This post is not meant to bash LI. Just thinking why so many love to live on LI. Other areas, such as Southern California, have similar qualities, but with nicer weather.
Near water/beaches. Near a big city. Both have similar liberal political governments and high taxes. Both have a lot of traffic. So besides family or job reasons, why wouldn’t you choose the area with nice weather nearly all year vs months of cold, snow and ice? If you like LI it seems like you should love Southern California.
In addition to what other people said, California to me is missing the history you find in the Northeast, something I would sorely miss.

There is also the traditions that come with the 4 different seasons in the Northeast. For instance, autumn is coming and I grew up on apple and pumpkin picking, fall craft fairs and leaf peeping. Somehow, that does not seem the same in California, for instance the giant factory farms of the California Central Valley do not have the traditional appeal to me as the family farms here in the Northeast.

However, the main thing for me is that Long Island and the New York area in general is where the majority of my family and friends are. I may move off the Island eventually but it is going to be somewhere close by like Pennsylvania or Upstate or someplace cheaper to live like the Carolinas or Florida. I do not see the point of leaving my family and friends to move to another similar overcrowded expensive place like Southern California just because it has better weather.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:36 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post

There are different seasons, but they are more subtle. Summer is in Sept/October. The leaves don't change but it gets browner or greener, depending on the time of year. It doesn't rain at all in the summer, but it can get pretty wet in the winter.

What I don't like is the summer temperatures in the afternoon and then there are early winter temperatures at night in the same day. It can be completely different weather 20 miles away, although there isn't that much volatility like in northern California in the Bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island