Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 01:20 PM

145 posts, read 227,050 times

Advertisements

Hi, we currently own in Levittown and looking to move— doesn’t necessarily have to be a bigger house as long as it’s in a district that can meet both of my sons needs. The problem is that we’re not looking to go further east than western Suffolk, and it also needs to be affordable (our budget is 400k). My older son in pre-k is gifted and needs to be challenged or else he will act out (his teachers have all agreed this is what he needs), but my younger son (almost 3) is special needs and needs a school district that I don’t need to fight tooth and nail to get the services he needs. He currently gets OT and speech through early intervention. I’ve started the process through Levittown cpse to get him evaluated through the district. There’s a good chance he’s somewhere on the autism spectrum, but we should know in a few months for sure.

We’re actually considering moving back to queens since I know eastern queens has top notch schools, and I figured the district could meet both of their needs. My husband is a teacher and I was an elementary teacher before I became a stay at home mom, so we know queens schools well. My older one could test for G&T and my younger one would probably get all the services he needs since the city isn’t as stringent with money like LI is. BUT, on the other hand, I don’t know much about district 75 should my son need that sort of setting down the road. I’m not sure if it’s the best setting. We’re general ed teachers who don’t know a whole lot about D75.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 04:52 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I would be wary of District 75. Of course, you don't know if he'll qualify for it by kindergarten. If you moved by next September, he would be eligible for free prek with services. Perhaps, Levittown is stingy with services, but there are other districts in Long Island that might be better. Others here have suggested HHH for special ed.

Also, don't be so sure that your gifted child will be able to get into a city G&T program. I think Manhattan has more options than Queens. If your child does qualify, be prepared to schlep to two different schools and perhaps to take one of them on the subway or bus. You'll have to work out the logistics. At least on Long Island, your children will be close to each other, if not in the same school, at least the same district. Your special needs child will qualify for a bus. Even if the two boys' schedules will not be in sync, it will still be easier for you to work out the logistics and of course, if one becomes ill during the school day, it will be easier for you to go pick him up.

Your other problem is that 400K-500K isn't going to get you much in Queens, especially a SFH. If you buy a co-op, besides losing space, you'll have to contend with maintenance fees.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:14 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
I would be leery of NYC DOE. In my school district we have had a boatload of people moving here from the city to get away from NYC DOE.
What specifically don't you like about Levittown district?

Old 09-25-2018, 04:17 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I would get my own educational evaluation for your younger one. It's $$$$$ but it's unlikely you're going to get an ASD diagnosis from the school district's own evaluation because for them that means $$$$$.

I have no idea which district is best at that price point. Both your kids fall in special ed, budget-wise, and that budget is squeezed everywhere.

If you think your older child is truly gifted look into the Long Island school for the gifted. It's in Huntington.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:57 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I would get my own educational evaluation for your younger one. It's $$$$$ but it's unlikely you're going to get an ASD diagnosis from the school district's own evaluation because for them that means $$$$$.

I have no idea which district is best at that price point. Both your kids fall in special ed, budget-wise, and that budget is squeezed everywhere.

If you think your older child is truly gifted look into the Long Island school for the gifted. It's in Huntington.
I concur.

Here is one respected option for an ASD evaluation. Not sure about the cost these days and if covered by insurance at all.

https://neuro.stonybrookmedicine.edu/centers/autism

Get an independent diagnosis, and then work with the district for services.

Both of OPs kids are CPSE, and everything changes when moving to CSE.

I would also see about a potential ADHD diagnosis for the older son, which could lead to OHI classification. Not to medicate, but could potentially get 504 or IEP assistance if needed.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:40 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I would also see about a potential ADHD diagnosis for the older son, which could lead to OHI classification. Not to medicate, but could potentially get 504 or IEP assistance if needed.
That's what my son's original IEP was - OHI - you do not have to use ADHD medication to get it - he doesn't use medication, just doesn't work for him (and he's inattentive type, not hyper type so he doesn't bother anyone).

Old 09-25-2018, 11:11 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That's what my son's original IEP was - OHI - you do not have to use ADHD medication to get it - he doesn't use medication, just doesn't work for him (and he's inattentive type, not hyper type so he doesn't bother anyone).
Correct, just need the diagnosis. How the parent chooses to manage the child's condition is up to them and the child's physician. Not the school's or school district's business.

I always recommend getting a diagnosis before going to CSE. It makes things easier.

OP, if your son "needs to be challenged or he will act out" then you will be asking for something other than Gen Ed placement, which means an IEP will be helpful. Which means he needs a classification.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:26 PM

9 posts, read 7,493 times
I would be careful when it comes to NYC schools. I had a friend who worked as an AP and ended up leaving for a new job due to their lack of communication and organization. 400k is a little tight if you don't want to move further than western suffolk. Maybe try the south shore. Not very familiar with the South Shore or their SDs. I think Sayville SD is pretty decent, as well as. Merrick has a good SD, but house prices may be a bit high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: