Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 12:57 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edlee321 View Post
Apparently, although grieving process is the same, they will not accept grievances that stray far from market value, they dont want what happened between 2011-2018 to happen again.

Going forward, grievances that will be accepted should show comps of similar size lots/homes, and age of home in same area sold within last 6 months, they will reject grievances that just want to grieve for tax purposes.
I guess we’ll see
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 01:39 PM

166 posts, read 190,944 times
Quote:
Apparently, although grieving process is the same, they will not accept grievances that stray far from market value, they dont want what happened between 2011-2018 to happen again.

Going forward, grievances that will be accepted should show comps of similar size lots/homes, and age of home in same area sold within last 6 months, they will reject grievances that just want to grieve for tax purposes.
pretty sure you cant say i am grieving just b/c i want to lower my taxes and get approved. you have to warrant it like you always have had to.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:00 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,779,503 times
Quote:

In my understanding we're going back to the original system: if you appeal, and you win your appeal you can claim that the appeal is backdated. Currently tax appeals are only for future years.

Question though. I filled in the paperwork for tax grievances earlier this year. I guess NC will base the judgement on the new numbers?

Old 10-22-2018, 03:11 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
They will 100% drop the FMV of your home, but they will just raise the multiplier rate so it won't go down!
Correct. Because the FMV is just a way to manipulate your fair share compared to everyone else. Which would only make sense if they did it based on what we actually use in our county. Lot size, kids in school (adds a bit more), etc. But no... they want to do it based on how well people improve their homes, which is completely asinine. Why does being able to afford something automatically make people have to pay more than their "fair share"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymm22 View Post
pretty sure you cant say i am grieving just b/c i want to lower my taxes and get approved. you have to warrant it like you always have had to.
And rightfully so. Maybe when most people realize they're stuck with high numbers, they will start to care more about where it's all going. Wishful thinking though, since the grievance companies will have to earn a profit and they're in bed with local gov't... Seriously, F them all. It all started with power & greed. And we have people here saying we would've done the same thing in their position. F that noise too.

Last edited by ovi8; 10-22-2018 at 03:19 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 05:12 PM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
My taxes kept going up during the recession.
Values dropped but my taxes didn't.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:40 PM

25 posts, read 25,812 times
Cause tax has little to do with value, if your value went down, so did the rest of your town, but the total tax levy on the whole town only goes up year to year , so there is no way out of this mess.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 PM

259 posts, read 174,276 times
Quote:
It's not a mansion, it's under 3000sqft, under 0.18 acres.

Yes, I could probably sell it for 1.5, but i bought it well under a million less than 8 years ago, so because the value went up while I did nothing to the home, and I'm on a fixed income, I should pay double or triple the taxes

The double whammy is not being able to deduct the real estate tax from my income tax return.

Again, my problem is not the assessment of my home, my problem is with needless unchecked spending, and anytime we try to limit the spending, the local and loud activist few rile everyone up that we need to spend more on our schools. Dont get me wrong I know better schools bring better home values, but what's the point when I don't plan on selling, and if I do, I'm stuck looking at other homes in same town.

Anyways, my question is how the 5 year phase in will work, will it be 5 equal increments from old assessment level or old aassesed value?
How many bedrooms/bathrooms do you have?

If your house is worth 1.5mil and are on a fixed income, maybe it is time to downsize

Old 10-22-2018, 09:01 PM

166 posts, read 190,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post

If your house is worth 1.5mil and are on a fixed income, maybe it is time to downsize
you mean "cash out".

Old 10-22-2018, 09:02 PM

25 posts, read 25,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post

4br , 3 bath, 1 half bath

Family of six, with kids under 16,

How can I fit in smaller, I will just have to grieve and pray

Old 10-23-2018, 05:58 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Quote:
4br , 3 bath, 1 half bath

Family of six, with kids under 16,

How can I fit in smaller, I will just have to grieve and pray
I hate to tell you but growing up a family of 8 kids lived next door with 2 baths and 4 bedrooms total. The 5th bedroom was the just big enough to fit a bed and fought over because it afforded privacy. I know times are different now, but it can be done. As you have indicated you will just grieve and pay which means that you have made that choice. Good for you that you have that ability, you probably work hard for that money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island