Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 05:53 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Stony Brook is on the north shore. Its on the LI Sound, not the ocean. LI sound beaches are rocky and have no waves. Its like a salt water lake.
I know. The only real beach towns on Long Island are the Hamptons, Shirley, and Long Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 07:59 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
I know. The only real beach towns on Long Island are the Hamptons, Shirley, and Long Beach.
Jones beach, Robert Moses, Smiths Point, and I guess you have never been out to the end, Montauk Point.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Jones beach, Robert Moses, Smiths Point, and I guess you have never been out to the end, Montauk Point.
Sure, Montauk too.

No one lives by Jones Beach and Robert Moses.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:16 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
Quote:
Sure, Montauk too.

No one lives by Jones Beach and Robert Moses.
No lives by them? Your not from LI are you? Jones beach and Robert Moses is where Nassau county and 1/2 of Suffolk go to. The east end beaches are the minority.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:20 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Yup, those towns really have thriving beachfront commercial strips full of dining, nightlife, surf shops, etc. Oh wait, Shirley has none of that - and likely never will.

Only someone completely unfamiliar with those areas would put Long Beach and Shirley in the same sentence.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:48 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Yup, those towns really have thriving beachfront commercial strips full of dining, nightlife, surf shops, etc. Oh wait, Shirley has none of that - and likely never will.

Only someone completely unfamiliar with those areas would put Long Beach and Shirley in the same sentence.
But you don't understand! Smith Point! Bike riding! The conservation area! Its perfect!

Old 10-29-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post

You are trying to deny that Smith Point is not a beach, and that Shirley is not a town. You are wrong.

What you meant to say is that you do not like Smith Point as a beach, and that you do not like Shirley as a town. In which case most would agree with you considering Shirley's poor ranking in the survey.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
But you don't understand! Smith Point! Bike riding! The conservation area! Its perfect!
I don't think you read the link. It actually states that it is far from perfect.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:51 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
You are trying to deny that Smith Point is not a beach, and that Shirley is not a town. You are wrong.
I did no such thing.
Quote:
What you meant to say is that you do not like Smith Point as a beach, and that you do not like Shirley as a town. In which case most would agree with you considering Shirley's poor ranking in the survey.
The colloquial meaning of a "beach town" is one thing. Shirley is something else. You still have to cross a bridge to get to the ocean...but unlike areas like Babylon, Freeport, Bay Shore, there's no bay front marina or commercial activity to speak of.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
No lives by them? Your not from LI are you? Jones beach and Robert Moses is where Nassau county and 1/2 of Suffolk go to. The east end beaches are the minority.
The distance from Jones Beach and Robert Moses to the closest actual town is quite a ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island