Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 06:24 AM

175 posts, read 602,213 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Do houses with above ground wires for pseg have more outages and issues than below ground? I would think it would but thinking about winter specifically and how the above ground wires pull through some of those snowy days. Thinking of buying a house that has the wires across the (narrow) street. Also, anyone know of a particular dept within pseg to call to find out the history of a particular street's issues. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 07:20 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
we have far far less outages in nyc with our under ground services .

Old 10-28-2018, 09:09 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Above or below, they are eventually served by an above ground grid. Really has more to do with aesthetics than service reliability. Maybe underground is a bit better but not a reason to factor in buying a house.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:10 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
we rarely go down in most of our areas with under ground services even in storms like sandy . it is not the big transmission lines that are a problem . usually it is the local poles and exposed transformers. we have a few underground transformer explosions every now and then as the road salt eats things .

but it is so rare we have power outages .i can count the number of times on one hand in 40 years .

Old 10-28-2018, 09:32 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
Are there even any areas on LI that have buried lines from pole to house? Just curious.

As for outages I think, as mathjak said, most problems originate away from the house locations anyhow. I've lived in houses where the wires from the pole to our house went through huge trees and the streets were tree-lined, and had outages MAYBE two or three times a year for brief periods (not counting Sandy, Gloria, etc of course.) The area I'm in now has zero trees from pole to house and few on the streets, yet I have "nuisance outages" here (anywhere from two to twenty minutes) once or twice a month for no apparent reason.

What blew my mind the last time I was house hunting was the number of neighborhoods that had the poles running along the back of the property lines rather than the street. Didn't like that at all, and that was the first time I'd encountered them. The lines were still overhead to the house, too. I guess the rationale was that the streets would be more attractive but I'd think most people spend more time in their backyards than front yards and so why make those areas uglier with utility poles? Makes no sense IMHO. Not to mention repair crews needing access etc.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:40 AM

46 posts, read 31,075 times
There's no solid evidence one way or another that above/underground lines prove more/less outages and in any way should prevent you from buying a home...unless your concern is based solely on aesthetics.

Some homes can have some crazy wires either cutting across their property, or actually coming into the actual house at weird positions.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:25 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
We got 2 brown-outs yesterday due to the wind. It's definitely not a deal-breaker factor, but it's still a PITA in comparison.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:52 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
The other problem with overhead wires are the neighbors who are "master gardeners" (in their minds). I had a neighbors tree fall on my fence during Sandy because she argued with Bartlett Tree service on which branches to remove. She refused to allow them to cut several branches one of which fell on my fence. As she was the customer they left it against their suggested branches to remove.

In the past I saw people directing the Asplund crews on which branches to leave and which ones they can cut. Then when the power would go out they complained.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:22 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,242 times
*sigh* And yet another nuisance outage today. As I was on the computer at 11 a.m. *WHOMP* the house power goes out. Texted "OUT" to the PSEG number and got a return text saying "Your location is part of a known outage for safe repairs. Estimated power restoration time is 1:00 pm" Yeah, well, just great. Luckily the power came back on in a half hour but still.

This was the third short term outage this month. The other two happened overnight so I don't know how long those lasted but I can always tell it happened: I have two air purifiers that switch to a different color (default) display if their power is turned off while operating and then comes back on.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:24 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylauren View Post
Hi everyone. Do houses with above ground wires for pseg have more outages and issues than below ground? I would think it would but thinking about winter specifically and how the above ground wires pull through some of those snowy days. Thinking of buying a house that has the wires across the (narrow) street. Also, anyone know of a particular dept within pseg to call to find out the history of a particular street's issues. Thanks!

Yes of course. Icy rain, wind, trees, heavy snow can all take down small power lines on the street as well as the occasional vehicle crash. Anyone who has lived with both systems can attest that power outages, even flickering power, is much less common with underground systems. Plus you don't get ugly misshaped clumsy CONEd/PSEG-trimmed trees away from power lines or streets entirely missing trees down one side due to the power lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: