Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 10:55 AM

718 posts, read 619,866 times

Advertisements

Wow what a waste of a warrant. Yet there are all types of criminals with open warrants and nothing is done to get them until they resurface in some other crime.

Town really has alot of time on there hands. Id like to see what type of evidence they produced to a judge to authorize something so invasive for a basement rental. Seems like an abuse of power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 11:44 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
Wow what a waste of a warrant. Yet there are all types of criminals with open warrants and nothing is done to get them until they resurface in some other crime.

Town really has alot of time on there hands. Id like to see what type of evidence they produced to a judge to authorize something so invasive for a basement rental. Seems like an abuse of power.
I doubt there was any evidence, just a report taken at face value and a threat to the homeowner.

I will echo others - DO NOT LET AN INSPECTOR INTO YOUR HOUSE.

If they claim they need “evidence” of a renter have them sit outside your property in a car and watch for a few days.

If you let them in they WILL find something, and that starts an expensive and painful process.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:38 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,731 times
PLEASE do not "ever" let a code enforcement officer in your HOUSE. Under any circumstances.
I live in Islip Town. We bought the house in 1994 . It is called a Conlue Cape style. Now my wife works for the Township, so we have to be careful of what we do/change to the house [ fines are doubled or tippled]
About 3 years ago I'm home, wife at work. Had 2 Town code people [ Male/Female] asked to come in to inspect for a "basement Apartment" I said OK but have to Put the Dogs AWAY. The King is A 207 Pound Black Dane, His sister is 158 . I put them up stairs with the command to stay.
Well anyway I let them look around the basement. The female actually asked me to open the door to the 10' cedar closet. And then asked why I had a two hundred amp service for such a small house [2100] . The Man said thank you ,we will not that there it was unfounded. So on the way out the Lady said I need to inspect your second floor. I said NO that is where the dogs are. She insisted , so I said Go on up. She was greeted by the Danes. Needles to say she never got up there.
Cut to the chase 3/4 weeks latter I get another code officer. Told him I was just inspected . He said well can I take a look around anyway. I said NO . He even asked if he could walk around the back yard [ look for an outside entrance] . I said at your own risk , behind that 6' fence are two Great Danes that do like strangers.
I swear this true a few weeks latter Another code guy knocks on the door. The Mrs answers the Door. A fellow she Knows ] Said come on in. He said NO thanks I don't want to be there snack.
The moral to the story is Never let them in . AND they would not tell us the Name of the person who made the complaint.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:46 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander24 View Post
Did anyone got visit from code enforcer to check the basement for illegal rental?
Even though I don't rent but my basement is finished with full bath and I don't think there is permit for it ?
can you please share your experience what exactly they look for?
Do they check the whole house or just basement? this is in T o hemptead.
You don't have to let them in your house.

They would need a warrant.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:56 AM

42 posts, read 32,102 times
But won't they give a violation based on complaint,if we deny them access to the house.
And as that violation gets old, fine will also increase.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:41 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
But won't they give a violation based on complaint,if we deny them access to the house.
How can they give you a violation without proof? Assuming you don’t have a renter, tell them that and deny them entry. Tell them to park on the street and watch for those reported “renters”. They will get bored and close the complaint.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:47 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
Quote:
No. They can't issue a violation without seeing the violation.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:42 PM

42 posts, read 32,102 times
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wye Zass View Post
You need to be careful. I've heard stories of them gaining access using dilithium crystals. There are just so many different ways they can violate you if they do this.
good one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: