Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:30 PM

22,214 posts, read 19,509,661 times

Advertisements

Have the Cablevision IO triple play, but may wind up switching to Verizon FIos as it has more options and is cheaper. However, without getting too political one option it does not seem to have is MSNBC, and as a big fan of Olbermam I obviously don't like this. I have heard something about an agreement with cablevision and MSNBC which doesn't allow other carriers to carry MSNBC. Anyone that has Verizon Fios have any information regarding MSNBC or if and when it will ever become available on Long Island??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 12:15 PM

6,385 posts, read 13,177,213 times
Just curious if you ever made the switch? Is it better? We are thinking of making the switch from Cable Vision.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:45 PM

606 posts, read 2,096,588 times
I would never ever trust Verizon. The claims they make on their commercials are negated by white words at the bottom of the screen. The company is a company of con artists. A source I have inside the telecommunications industry says that "Fios is ten years away from being decent..."

Indeed, Verizon has a track record of this. When I had Verizon DSL I had no service Sundays nights, the hour after school let out, 9 am in the evening, or Christmas week. Otherwise, the service was excellent

Whether or not Fios is good, Verizon has atrocious customer service. Try getting them to your house when something is wrong. Their unionized staff will be as rude as they like on the phone or keep you on hold over an hour. Their unionized technicians have 4 jobs a day and then quit even if you are on their repair list.

In the past 3 years--in relation to their landline service---I have been hung up on, verbally abused, ignored, and had appointments missed. They just don't show up and won't blink an eye. I've also been reported to a credit agency even though they dropped MY credit card from the automatic payment system.

You can deal with Verizon Wireless because they are the Texas/GTE non-unionized end of the company. Never deal with traditional landline/Fios/unionized verizon. They will let you twist in the wind....

Let me add most unions are good. But the CWA simply allows their workers to be hostile and thats a darn shame.....

Old 08-18-2008, 01:05 PM

Anyone else care to chime in or comment?

Old 08-18-2008, 01:07 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,771,183 times
I would miss the News 12 traffic girl too much if I gave up Cablevision.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:30 PM

Ha ha. Very funny. But I really did think about losing the Channel 12 news. even though its the same recorded show for the entire day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I would miss the News 12 traffic girl too much if I gave up Cablevision.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:01 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,058,940 times
Cablevision blows, but they are the devil you know. Verizon..I had them come to my condo complex, and I could not get a straight answer as to what the BOTTOM LINE cost would be per month for their service....so, no go. Plus, they want you to sign a 2 year contract with a penalty for early disconnect. Give me a break.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:01 PM

73 posts, read 292,627 times
I got FIOS when I moved into my new house (had cablevision in the old one) and I have no problem with it. I have 20up/20down internet speed for the same price of cablevisions slower internet service (not really bad, just slower). Phone service works over your regular phone lines so that's nice if you want to plug in a non-wireless phone somewhere. TV picture quality is much better watching SD and a little better in HD. The guide is sooo much faster and more functional. I don't regret switching over at all and now I got fiber going straight to my house so I'm already setup for the future (which I think will be fiber).

Old 08-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 5 days ago)

8,821 posts, read 21,304,107 times
That's strange about MSNBC. I forget , even though I watch the news channels. Is that the one with the more liberal leaning and those true crime shows (23) or the one with Suze Orman (24). Why would an independent station have that regulation , I wonder.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-18-2008, 03:31 PM

155 posts, read 298,977 times
wes927 sounds like he has an axe to grind.

I have the verizon triple play package and couldn't be happier. I'm saving close to $30/ month, my landline service is head and shoulders about cable's phone service. My internet is just as fast, no noticeable difference.

My TV is substantiall better with FIOS, there isn't even a contest. The picture is AMAZING. If you have invested is a good TV, FIOS is the only way to go. The picture is crystal clear, like looking through a window. The only issue is the installation, which takes some time. But I look at it this way, to me it's worth the time because now I have a choice. I don't have to take cables rates just because they are the only show in town. To me, that's more than worth the time it took for the installation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island