Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 10:20 AM

20,048 posts, read 20,850,556 times

Advertisements

Holy crap the schools here are not *that* good.
Christ almighty. It's goddam smoke and mirrors for monetary gain and other sketchy motives.
Put the damn Koolaid down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 10:29 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Holy crap the schools here are not *that* good.
Christ almighty. It's goddam smoke and mirrors for monetary gain and other sketchy motives.
Put the damn Koolaid down.
The desire for good schools has the tendency to increase property value in perceived good school districts regardless of location.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:32 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagny77 View Post
Yep, a great new even playing field where the million dollar mini mansions they just put up at the end of my street get reduced 800k new assessments and the 400k 40 year old homes the rest of us live in get 600-700k assessments. Hmm, love that even playing field. Of course we all bought in decades ago eagerly waiting to finally get our fair 700k tax on at best 450-500k homes and the people who just bought million dollar homes expected a tax break -- yep--- very fair, right. Pfff, fair for new developers pushing new homes maybe. Heck, even among our old rows of cloned homes, the values seem to swing wildly. What is the reasoning, who knows - but they sure are proud of their computer algorithm. So proud they will make changes to valuations through ARC incredibly difficult now, even if your numbers are high.
Computer algorithms are only as good as the info fed to it. So your row of cloned homes obviously have some differences. Fix it - they will let you do so in your favor as long as you allow an inspection in person as well. If you really want it in your favor, you'll have to work for it - which honest taxpayer wouldn't want that so we don't fall into the same hole again? I've done the old grievance system numerous times, for multiple homes. It was way too easy to game it, citing homes that didn't even match up. And over 80% of submissions got approved. Now that the numbers are accurate again for the majority of the county, you can adjust from there. What good does it do anyone to leave a $600k home at $250k and make tiny adjustments? Zero, and completely pointless.

Quote:
Respectfully, the problem I have with your thinking is on this issue is, as things stood, if you didn't have a problem with your tax valuation, you left them alone. If you did and had cause, you can log on to a simple county website for free, check your recent sales with a couple of clicks, see if you were in line with your neighbors or not and grieve. Literally all in 10 minutes and for FREE. You didn't get money out of the sky (your money by the way - i hate the thinking that is so pervasive that not taking more money people work hard to earn costs the government somehow, like we are surfs to this system - perhaps we really are if you step back). You would be awarded a decrease *if you had proof* you were unfairly assessed based on comparable homes. They even did the work for you and provided you recent sales around your home. Seems incredibly fair to me! We were also protected from getting walloped with thousands in new taxes - who can absorb that?!You can decide to not take vacations, or try to milk another year out of that 10 year old car, etc, but in one shot the county exec can cost you your family home with the power of law enforcement and out of the clear blue. The role of government should not be to suddenly force people from their homes.
Countless people grieved regardless of their valuation because that was the game. There was an article stating that over 80% of submissions (not of every property) received reductions. That right there tells you of the volatility of the assessment numbers, and we're supposed to deem them fair to all?

Quote:
So now, we have a new county exec, knowingly and *purposefully* skirting state home owner protection laws, claiming fairness as the mantra - most likely carefully thinking out who her constituencies are. She is also saying they would like to change the system to do yearly or close to yearly county reassessments - again for fairness. If you skirted the first round, do you really think when the county increasingly needs money (as our debt and employee liabilities are skyrocketing) and the new rules allowing for it are in place that they wont take a bigger bite year after year from *everyone*? Let's get real. Unless you just moved here, we all know the answer to that - based not on theory but what we've lived through. But, maybe that's the point of all of this in the end.
The proposed budgets year after year (and the majority cause of our high taxes) had little to do with her. Is she in bed with union workers now? When her (D) goal was to fix a broken assessment system (R) nobody denies exists - where people with the same house paid a $5k difference - how can anyone claim ulterior motives as the primary driver? "Purposefully"? Maybe you should look at it like anyone appointing new leadership should - that things get fixed over time. Not in one fell swoop.

Last edited by ovi8; 12-15-2018 at 10:50 AM..

Old 12-15-2018, 10:49 AM

36 posts, read 33,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
how can anyone claim ulterior motives as the primary driver? "Purposefully"?
Interesting, you sure do seem to spend a lot of energy defending this...

"Purposefully"... so she doesn't know why the 6% law was there? alrighty... This won't help raise more money for spending, certainly not this year when it needs to be passed, but going forward , prolonging our problems? OK.... Not sure why you are making this a D or R football match either, they are both culpable in playing the fleecing NY political game with us. Both sides know who the power players are in getting people turned out and what they need to do.

Call me cynical, but living in this place for so long has certainly made me so.

Last edited by dagny77; 12-15-2018 at 10:59 AM..

Old 12-15-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Interesting, you sure do seem to spend a lot of energy defending this...

"Purposefully"... so she doesn't know why the 6% rule was there? alrighty...

Call me cynical, but this place has certainly made me so.
What I see are a bunch of people hurt by the increases looking for ANY reason to put her efforts down. I hate politics and politicians more than anyone here, but what's being done by a new leader is certainly anything but a step in the wrong direction. All I have to say about the increases is - y'all (ok most) should've been prepared with all the money you knowingly saved off the backs of your neighbors. They're asking you to start making up for your portion now, so it's comical (and a lot of ridiculous) that you guys are so up in arms about finally doing so. I don't even have skin in that game (the they). Sorry not sorry.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:02 AM

105 posts, read 75,992 times
Quote:
Yep, a great new even playing field where the million dollar mini mansions they just put up at the end of my street get reduced 800k new assessments and the 400k 40 year old homes the rest of us live in get 600-700k assessments. Hmm, love that even playing field. Of course we all bought in decades ago waiting to finally get our fair 700k tax on at best 450k homes and the people who just bought million dollar homes expected a tax break -- yep--- very fair, right.
That's not fair, the crooked, abusive self serving greedy out of control government doesn't screw everyone equally !! That is exactly what they want you arguing about.

That's how divide and conquer works. When faced on the battlefield with a numerically superior enemy, one must attempt to divide his enemy into smaller, more easily dispatched opponents - or even more ideally, divide them against one another, and have them defeat each other. Never in human history has there been a more effective way for tyrants to rule over large groups of people who, should they ever learn to cooperate, would easily throw off the tyranny.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
What I see are a bunch of people hurt by the increases looking for ANY reason to put her efforts down. I hate politics and politicians more than anyone here, but what's being done by a new leader is certainly anything but a step in the wrong direction. All I have to say about the increases is - y'all (ok most) should've been prepared with all the money you saved off the backs of your neighbors. They're asking you to start making up for your portion now, so it's comical (and a lot of ridiculous) that you guys are so up in arms about finally doing so. I don't even have skin in that game. Sorry not sorry.

LOL. OK there. I don't think you are helping your case.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
LOL. OK there. I don't think you are helping your case.
My case is only being objective regardless of where my financials are and regardless of how I'm being affected by all of this. Someone who puts her own career on the line seems to be doing the same thing.

Quote:
Not sure why you are making this a D or R football match either, they are both culpable in playing the fleecing NY political game with us.
It speaks to her particular motivation for (R)ighting the w(R)ongs. Simple as that. And again, I hate both parties and the whole political system [and how everyone in power can be easily influenced] equally.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
My case is only being objective regardless of where my financials are and regardless of how I'm being affected by all of this. Someone who puts her own career on the line seems to be doing the same thing.

aha.. and what as a "courageous" young person would put her long term political career on the line more within her party given the current budget forecasts she had? a stealthy tax increase (sold complete with county paid mailings as fair-share) that doesn't hit everyone at once (and the bulk of people will just see as part of their mortgage payments, you know just part of a system she had no control over and wasn't her fault, probably with a mapping that was carefully considered) *or* having to actually change the pension system? (wanna rock that boat? of course not) or spending (can't do that)? or school costs (third rail), salaries, debt reduction plans, or social programs? I'm not going to defend any politician and actions certainly speak loudly, as this is her first out of the gate initiative (and don't forget she refused to even provide impact statements until she was forced by the legislature) - not all of us were born yesterday, but we all will certainly be paying tomorrow.

Last edited by dagny77; 12-15-2018 at 12:18 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 12:49 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Consolidating school districts has been considered in the not so distant past however the 'nays' always exceeded the 'yeas' & the ideas were shelved.

You're right about NC school taxes representing 60% or more of NC homeowners' property taxes.

On LI (& likely nearly everywhere else in the US), there's a direct relationship between good schools & property values. With so many school districts, & along with the correlation to property values, the long term result is property in districts with good schools continue to increase more in value. Thus, more tax monies to improve the already good schools. & so on.

The good school districts get better & better & the property increases in value.
The poor school districts get worse & the property value does not increase as much.
There are excellent schools all over the country that cost taxpayers half or less.

With this attitude you will never receive tax relief on LI. Not now, not ever. Your only "solution" is to argue about how and where to shift the ever-escalating tax burden.

This is no longer my problem, and glad to have moved on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island