Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2018, 01:13 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Are Mount Vernon and Yonkers any worse than say Hempstead or Wyandanch?
I've lived in LI but never Westchester county; only spent a lot of time there. I'd say they're about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 01:25 PM

Default Very good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
.. and the Sagtikos Pkwy becomes the Sunken Meadow Pkwy with no reason or signage, Northern State Parkway becomes the Grand Central Parkway (again no reason or signage), Southern State becomes the Belt Pkwy , we have TWO NY24s that are not connected (Hempstead Turnpike and the one in Flanders). Don't forget that the Sunken Meadow Parkway has a nutty number system for exits. (exit SM3E? Yes, that makes sense).
AND the Long Island Expressway exit for East Hampton Blvd. is a mere 88 miles from East Hampton. I'm sure that has confused more than a few tourists.
Very good points made! The thing is that if you live in Nassau (especially closer to Queens) and rarely or never go to Suffolk county, the hwy systems doesn't seem so confusing. Go to Suffolk county and all bets are off! The pkwy system gets nuts! I forgot the name of it but there's a pkwy (Sunken Meadow??) that without warning turns into a street with stop lights. So you're driving 70+ mph and then all of a sudden you see car brake lights ahead stopped at the red light. WTFlip??

Come to think of it, Westchester county has one that used to annoy me so much - Saw Mill Pkwy or Hutchinson Pkwy?? I can't remember which.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 12-01-2018 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-01-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoeNYC View Post
I grew up in Southern Westchester (Yonkers area), lived in Northern Westchester for many years (Peekskill area) and now live in Suffolk.

7. Westchester is not upstate. PERIOD. No discussion.

8. Metro North is better than the LIRR. It's not as big so it's easier to run. Grand Central has no other railroad, so they know what track the train will leave from about a half hour before it's scheduled departure time and so they pull in and open the doors for you. You don't have that ridiculous mad rush...

I concede on number 7 but that it how I always referred to it until I started spending more time far upstate. That is when my point of reference changed.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:57 PM

151 posts, read 130,068 times
All North South parkways have this system, Meadowbrook Wantagh Sunken Meadow and Sagitikos all have this system.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:39 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Very good points made! The thing is that if you live in Nassau (especially closer to Queens) and rarely or never go to Suffolk county, the hwy systems doesn't seem so confusing. Go to Suffolk county and all bets are off! The pkwy system gets nuts! I forgot the name of it but there's a pkwy (Sunken Meadow??) that without warning turns into a street with stop lights. So you're driving 70+ mph and then all of a sudden you see car brake lights ahead stopped at the red light. WTFlip??

Come to think of it, Westchester county has one that used to annoy me so much - Saw Mill Pkwy or Hutchinson Pkwy?? I can't remember which.
I think you mean the Northern State Parkway which ends at NY 347/454 in Hauppauge.

Back in the day, Hauppauge was considered pretty far out on the Island, I guess to someone living in Queens or western parts of Nassau it still is, but today you are really still in the western Suffolk suburbs.

Btw, regarding the confusion people mentioned regarding Long Island parkways (including Queens). They may have different names, for instance the Sunken Meadow Parkway runs into the Sagtikos Parkway but they are basically the same road with different names. That is because they were planned at different times by Robert Moses but they really function as one road today. The motorist does not notice any difference and I suspect most do not even know where one ends and the other begins.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:13 AM

158 posts, read 189,385 times
WC is just less congested, overall easier commute to Manhattan, and a little more prestigious rep.

if you want a little more action / hustle and bustle, and are a little rougher around the edges, LI is OK for you

if you want a more quiet/secluded life and want to be a richy snoot, it's WC.

(PS in terms of the schools, overall it's a wash. yes technically the best LI schools are higher ranked, but overall percentage wise WC has a greater amount of high performing districts...but that's just because there's fewer of them. some people have no idea how much bigger LI districts are (and that there are a lot more of them) vs WC. Bottom line - if you live in a decent+ area in either WC or LI, your kid is getting a good public school education vs most of the rest of the country).

Old 12-05-2018, 08:19 AM

158 posts, read 189,385 times
you also have to consider the overall population difference. LI is basically 3 times more populated. Nassau+Suffolk total is 2.8 mil. WC is 980k. in that sense it's almost unfair to even compare them.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:33 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
That's way too many people.
At least half of you need to go.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:21 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJim3 View Post
you also have to consider the overall population difference. LI is basically 3 times more populated. Nassau+Suffolk total is 2.8 mil. WC is 980k. in that sense it's almost unfair to even compare them.
It takes 3 hours to travel end to end on LI. You can drive through WC in 10 minutes. So yeah, LI is gonna have a bigger population.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:50 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahvin Mahtian View Post
Kindly explain how and where you can get across Westchester in 10 minutes.

(.... PS: How far is it, on average, from north to south shore?)
No traffic? 30 mins. Depends where as well. Seaford to Oyster is what I am referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island