Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 05:41 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Not to be confused with the unwashed masses that is Long Island....
Typical comment of a one percenter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 05:43 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Typical comment of a one percenter.
Said the basement dweller.....

Old 07-14-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Said the basement dweller.....
Westchester snobbery at its best.

Who wouldn't like Westchester, it's for a bunch of boring rich people that do nothing but work all day so they can impress each other at the country club where they all look the same anyway. Tear off the facade.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Westchester snobbery at its best.

Who wouldn't like Westchester, it's for a bunch of boring rich people that do nothing but work all day so they can impress each other at the country club where they all look the same anyway. Tear off the facade.
You forgot clogging the roadways as they speed towards the Hampton's each weekend....

I guess everyone doesn't wear the mantle of SJW representing the hoi polloi as well as you do, keep drinking the kool aid..

Old 07-14-2019, 07:22 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
You forgot clogging the roadways as they speed towards the Hampton's each weekend....

I guess everyone doesn't wear the mantle of SJW representing the hoi polloi as well as you do, keep drinking the kool aid..
It's gotta be a status thing. Westchester is like the Hamptons, just substitute the beach for the mountains. Only reason all these clown shoe uppity morons come out here. Rich people are so bizarre. They really are a weird group of people.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:30 AM

151 posts, read 130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
All of this is essentially wrong as it pertains to Suffolk. Nassau is probably different. Rockland County, if anything, is TOO culturally connected to NYC. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a member of the NYPD or FDNY, and most people are either from NYC or were born to parents who were. And obviously a lot of people commute to NYC for work. The difference, owing to inefficiencies in RR service relative to distance, is that a much higher percentage of people will commute not using the train in relation to LI. On LI, nearly everyone working in the city takes the LIRR. In Rockland, many will take the train, but many will also drive and many will take a bus. For off-peak commuters (cops and fireman often fall into this category) the commute by car is a breeze and beats coming in from Suffolk via train. And people in Rockland are much more likely to go into Manhattan for non-work reasons as opposed to people from Suffolk - for things like having surgery at a hospital, going to dinner, seeking professional services, ect. Rockland lacks a local identity for such things, so people instead just assume that its better to go to Manhattan (or Westchester or NJ). I don't think this dynamic exists out in Suffolk. The bottom line is that Suffolk is probably less culturally connected to Manhattan, which probably is a good thing.

On the identity issue, its the complete opposite. Rockland lacks an identity, while Nassau/Suffolk have a strong LI identity. The whole world knows what LI is. No one knows Rockland. If you mention a place in Rockland to people, some will say its NJ, while others will say its Westchester. Some upstaters actually think its part of the City. The bottom line is that Rockland either had no identity, or an identity shared with NYC as one of its bedroom communities. LI, conversely, very much has its own identity separate and apart from NYC. I am shocked, frankly, that someone would think the opposite is true.
What I meant by cultural connection is that Long Island's identity is tied to hating NYC and Long Island's culture is dictated by disgruntled former NYC residents who are worried about their areas "turning into Queens". Long Islanders think they're New Yorkers but upon further probing, will tell you they're from Long Island. Yes folks from Rockland County may go to NYC for non work reasons, but Rockland County's identity isn't as tied in the same way as Long Island. Even northern New Jersey areas bordering Rockland County have plenty who go to NYC for non work reasons, but their identity isn't built on hating changes in NYC and their area "turning into Queens".

Old 07-14-2019, 09:00 AM

973 posts, read 1,411,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
What I meant by cultural connection is that Long Island's identity is tied to hating NYC and Long Island's culture is dictated by disgruntled former NYC residents who are worried about their areas "turning into Queens". Long Islanders think they're New Yorkers but upon further probing, will tell you they're from Long Island. Yes folks from Rockland County may go to NYC for non work reasons, but Rockland County's identity isn't as tied in the same way as Long Island. Even northern New Jersey areas bordering Rockland County have plenty who go to NYC for non work reasons, but their identity isn't built on hating changes in NYC and their area "turning into Queens".
You have a weird definition of "culturally connected".

And if you read my post, which I assume you did, you would note that i specifically singled out Suffolk, in response to your original post mentioning Nassau and Suffolk.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It's gotta be a status thing. Westchester is like the Hamptons, just substitute the beach for the mountains. Only reason all these clown shoe uppity morons come out here. Rich people are so bizarre. They really are a weird group of people.
They are special in their own minds.....

Old 07-14-2019, 09:19 AM

Westchester doesn't have to worry about turning into the next Queens because they live in their little own rich person world. So disconnected from the real world. They still have restrictive covenants in Westchester. I guess that's what the one percenters want.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
They are special in their own minds.....
That's the Westchester mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island