Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 03:04 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
The thing against Westchester and places in CT is that whenever you want to travel or fly you have to schlep it all the way down to JFK or LaGuardia to catch a plane ride. There are no large major airports in Westchester, Putnam, or CT.

I have a friend who lives in Greenwich CT right next to Rye Brook and they travel a lot for work. Every time they need to catch a flight they have to take a car service down to JFK or LaGuardia which, depending on traffic, can be an hour and a half drive. Who wants to do that before or after coming back from a long 4 or 5 hour business flight? Drive another hour and a half back home.

I think a lot of ppl tend to forget this, that yes, while LI and Queens are overcrowded, the proximity to the airports, Manhattan, and in some cases Jersey is beneficial for many people.

However, I do hope to get out of here one day, I live in Huntington/ West Hills and it's getting worse and worse every year.
What's so bad about Newark/EWR? I have never used it so educate me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 03:08 PM

426 posts, read 960,210 times
Nothing bad about Newark airport, but still, if you live in Westchester, esp Eastern westchester like Rye Brook, Port Chester etc, that can also still be an hour and a half drive, getting over the terrible GW bridge.....its just as bad traffic and time wise.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:57 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
Do you think the general attitude of people in Westchester is better than LI? Also do you think Westchester people like NYC more than Long Island people?

Meh, its about the same..there are ignorant, uneducated morons in Westchester just as in Nassau but I feel like there is more of a "in your face" attitude about it in Long Island. LI has that very shrill "lawn guyland" stereotype partially because of ex-Italians/Jews from Bklyn/Queens moving to LI. Not many moved to Westchester. Westchester has more e-x-UWS/UES families, more of a cultured vibe in towns (ie I dont think Levittown/East Meadow have many art galleries/stores as say, Roslyn). Westchester has just as many uptight/Stepford wives wanna-be's as the moms in Great Neck/Port Jeff, etc...I think the drivers in Westchester are much more mellower (less road rage) though.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:19 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Nothing bad about Newark airport, but still, if you live in Westchester, esp Eastern westchester like Rye Brook, Port Chester etc, that can also still be an hour and a half drive, getting over the terrible GW bridge.....its just as bad traffic and time wise.
Airbrook Limo or go over the Tappan Zee (not the Mario Cuomo!) Bridge to avoid the GW but is it not safe to say LaGuardia is in gridlock most days of the week and Kennedy has never been a joy to get to even when I was a kid in the 60's. Babylon to LaGuardia is 60 minutes with no traffic and Port Chester to LaGuardia is 35min so your position is not really sound. I will assume that a person who needs frequent flights especially international would most likely position themselves for maximum airport convenience but that would most likely place them in Forest Hills. Queens....

Old 11-23-2018, 05:01 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Taking the LIRR to the Air Train to JFK is a breeze. Taking the LIRR to the new La Guardia Air Train should be helpful for those who use the Port Washington lines.

I don't see much of a difference between the attitudes or driving habits between Weschester and Long Island residents.
Wrong-way crash driver identified, charged with DUI
https://abc7ny.com/traffic/woman-dri...to-car/909710/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_T..._Parkway_crash

Plenty of sketchy parts of Westchester as much as Long Island and "in-your-face" attitudes in both areas. I think that neither northern Weschester or eastern Long Islanders identify that much with NYC. These are the people who have family that have lived in their respective areas for a couple of hundred years. Many also identify with CT/New England.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:15 PM

190 posts, read 152,710 times
Probably simply comes down to if you grew up in Brooklyn/Queens vs Manhattan/Bronx. If the whitestone didnt have a toll i would consider it.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:50 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
I'm always talking down about LI and how everything is aging especially for what were paying but I'd rather have what there is to offer in terms of family entertainment compared to Westchester. And yes, the beaches are a big part of that.

Believe me, we travel a lot out of the area by car and have to go through the bridges and traffic which is annoying but I feel like Westchester is literally boring suburbia in comparison and not worth the geographical advantage. Especially if taxes are worse. We do know people in Westchester too.

As for people and stereotypes, I think it's comical to lump people together like that when there's such huge disparities in backgrounds throughout the region. Personalities cannot be defined by just one decision to settle somewhere.

Last edited by ovi8; 11-24-2018 at 12:00 AM..

Old 11-24-2018, 01:26 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
West Chester white plains and surrounding areas are better then LI.
LI'ers don't go to Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx. The only time they go there is when they are trying to get on or off the Island. They usually add an hour or 2 to get on or off the Island.
WC your not land locked and there great access to Manhattan. The should have a "Dead End sign" when entering the Island because there's no way off at the end!!

Old 11-24-2018, 07:40 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
West Chester white plains and surrounding areas are better then LI.
LI'ers don't go to Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx. The only time they go there is when they are trying to get on or off the Island. They usually add an hour or 2 to get on or off the Island.
WC your not land locked and there great access to Manhattan. The should have a "Dead End sign" when entering the Island because there's no way off at the end!!
White Plains is like landlocked version of Stamford, CT

Old 11-24-2018, 09:11 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
Not necessarily better, but definitely more laid back. Generally speaking people on Long Island are more closely connected to the five boroughs and act as if they live in the five boroughs. Westchester feels distinctly separate and more people reject the concept of being part of NYC. It's honestly a little hard to explain, but people just act differently. I prefer the Westchester mentality, I'm sure some would prefer LI.
I think this was definitely true 30 years ago, I'm not familiar enough with it now to say....my college roommate was from Westchester and there was definitely less interest with her and her friends of maintaining the "city connection" of their parents. Whereas on LI so many people seem dedicated to maintaining their boroughs accent and attitude.

I would say the only thing they envied was proximity to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island