Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 07:38 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,555,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc555 View Post
Money Earning Mt. Vernon as Gus Johnson used to say. anyway, on LI for family and friends. dated a girl from westchester through college. she was pretty snobby.. kind of what I thought people from GC and manhasset would be like..her roommate was from chappaqua and also had to drop that she went to Horace Greeley HS... meanwhile here I was coming from one of the worst districts on LI having no clue thinking westchester was UPSTATE (she ended up marrying and moving to manhasset).hated going up there ...highways seemed like a mess.. the hutch, the saw mill... etc have no idea how people managed without GPS. was so used to going east/ west and north/ south on LI. have zero desire to live westchester. just another community with the cheese cake factory in the mall. shoutout to the Galleria. Sorry for punctuation..on LIRR :0)
You are so right. Those parkways are confusing as heck in Westchester County. At least with LI, it's Northern State, Southern State, and LIE. Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 07:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,555,196 times
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
And then the Long Islanders hate everything about NYC and think the whole city is one big ghetto.
True! They do. I've heard many when they do go to the city and get back home, "brag" about it like they've survived getting through the wild, wild west, Afghanistan, or south side Chicago.

Not there currently but I used to live and work on LI and had a coworker who bragged to me that she hadn't been to NYC in 20 years. As one poster said, LI is a dead end. There is only one way out and that is through one of the boros even if you bypass going all the way into the city. I was flabbergasted and interrupted her by asking "20 years?" because I thought either I'd misheard or she'd made a mistake with her words. She proudly shook her head and said "yes, 20 years!" I can't imagine her world.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:15 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Yes, Mt Vernon and Yonkers are probably the worst two areas in Westchester county. I can't think of any others as bad as those two.

(Sorry I can't just say Westchester, I must always add "county" after Westchester because that's the way I first learned to say it. I also used to refer to it as "upstate" because that is how I initially learned to refer to it, lol).
Are Mount Vernon and Yonkers any worse than say Hempstead or Wyandanch?

Old 11-25-2018, 08:22 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
We'll have no guns. The people. I'm banking on it becoming near impossible to legally acquire or own a gun in NY before the end of King Cuomo's reign.
Should we incurr any "event", zombies or otherwise, we will need to defend ourselves wth frying pans and broomstiicks or depend on the drug dealers and other bad guys to protect us.
An example that is more in touch with the reality of current events is when liberals eventually push conservatives over the edge with their fake physical threats, and domestic economic sanction tactics. In that case New Yorkers, New Englanders, and Californians don't stand a chance in the fight. It is only a matter of time.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:39 PM

131 posts, read 330,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Is it the beaches? Proximity to Brooklyn and Queens? Prefer LIRR over Metro North?

Folks in Westchester think they are superior to Long Island. I'm curious to know why. They got the river, we got the ocean. They got hills, we got bays.
Long Island beats Westchester in all aspects.

Hospitals: North Shore / LIJ, Winthrop are better hospitals than you can find in Westchester.

Shopping: Americana Manhasset + new Neiman Marcus wing of Roosevelt field beat the shopping in White Plains

Ghettos: The ghettos in Westchester make Hempstead and Roosevelt look like good areas! Plus Westchester abuts the Bronx which is much worse than Queens.

Recreation: Long Island has access to the Long Island sound just like Westchester but we also have access to the much nicer ocean beaches.

Commute: Port Wasgington line is as good or better than any line in Westchester. Plus with East side access and huge Hudson Yards and third rail project plus access to downtown Brooklyn and Amazon / LIC, living on Long Island will give you a better commute and access to more jobs than Westchester.

Property taxes: Prop taxes are generally lower on Long Island and the schools on Long Island are more uniformally better.

Top school district: Jericho beats any district in Westchester.

Town vs Town: Manhasset / Garden City / Cold spring harbor > Rye, Chappaqua, Pelham . Locust valley estate towns > Bedford/north Salem.

Airport access: Long Island wins

Access to best nyc summer resorts in hamptons/north fork wineries : Long Island wins

Overall wealth: more uber wealthy towns in Gold Coast of Long Island than Westchester.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:17 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,795,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
I just moved from central Jersey. Its taken me 3 hours to get to Stony Brook! GW disaster? What about the belt parkway nightmare? And then the $18 toll for the Verrazano, Staten Island traffic, then the $16 toll for the outer bridge! Now your in southern Jersey. You have to drive 30 minutes to get to central Jersey. Its a crap shoot! Depending on the time of day, cutting through Manhattan is now the best bet to get off the dead end.
2 hours can get you all the way to Bridgeport, CT, in traffic. You cross Stamford from central LI in an hour.

This dead-end island has many ways off. We sit in more traffic, but it's not a death sentence.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:04 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,176,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
We'll have no guns. The people. I'm banking on it becoming near impossible to legally acquire or own a gun in NY before the end of King Cuomo's reign.
Should we incurr any "event", zombies or otherwise, we will need to defend ourselves wth frying pans and broomstiicks or depend on the drug dealers and other bad guys to protect us.
Have the laws on LI changed for buying a rifle or shot gun? Its always been different for NYC. Upstate & LI have different laws than NYC.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:56 AM

23,875 posts, read 32,147,057 times
I left Long Island about ten years ago. If I were ever to return to the East Coast, LI would not even be on my list.

It's just way too hard to get off or on. Every exit off LI is a "clusterbunk" of traffic.

Because I was raised on LI, I'll always have a soft spot for "the Island". However, I like to travel easily. Long Island is not the place for anyone who needs a change of scenery.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:43 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,870,946 times
This might not be exactly topical although it puts somethings in perspective so to speak:

Quote:
...Long Island is actually comprised of 4 counties, including 2 that form New York City boroughs Queens and Brooklyn. While all 4 counties are part of the New York metropolitan area, the name Long Island generally only refers to Suffolk and Nassau counties.

Long Island has an estimated population of 7.75 million in 2013. It is the most populated island in any U.S. territory or state and the 17th most populous island in the world, beating Ireland and Jamaica. If Long Island were a state, it would by the 13th most populous and first in terms of population density with 5,402 people per square mile, or 2,086 people per square kilometer. It is one of the most densely populated regions in the country. Long Island has 39% of the total population of the state of New York.

Suffolk County has twice the area of Nassau County but it is much more densely populated. When the population of all 4 counties are combined, Long Island has a population greater than 38 states in the country. If it were a country, it would by the 96th most populated ahead of Israel. ...
http://worldpopulationreview.com/reg...nd-population/

Another point not noted @ above is that Long Island is the only place in the Country who named a shopping mall after a Poet. I dunno, somehow I like that idea!

Old 11-27-2018, 07:45 AM

151 posts, read 127,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
Long Island beats Westchester in all aspects.

Hospitals: North Shore / LIJ, Winthrop are better hospitals than you can find in Westchester.

Shopping: Americana Manhasset + new Neiman Marcus wing of Roosevelt field beat the shopping in White Plains

Ghettos: The ghettos in Westchester make Hempstead and Roosevelt look like good areas! Plus Westchester abuts the Bronx which is much worse than Queens.

Recreation: Long Island has access to the Long Island sound just like Westchester but we also have access to the much nicer ocean beaches.

Commute: Port Wasgington line is as good or better than any line in Westchester. Plus with East side access and huge Hudson Yards and third rail project plus access to downtown Brooklyn and Amazon / LIC, living on Long Island will give you a better commute and access to more jobs than Westchester.

Property taxes: Prop taxes are generally lower on Long Island and the schools on Long Island are more uniformally better.

Top school district: Jericho beats any district in Westchester.

Town vs Town: Manhasset / Garden City / Cold spring harbor > Rye, Chappaqua, Pelham . Locust valley estate towns > Bedford/north Salem.

Airport access: Long Island wins

Access to best nyc summer resorts in hamptons/north fork wineries : Long Island wins

Overall wealth: more uber wealthy towns in Gold Coast of Long Island than Westchester.
Westchester doesn't have any cliquey white trash areas like Island Park.

If you don't live near the Port Washington branch in Nassau, you have to go into Queens to get enough parking for the Port Washington branch as the only Nassau Port Washington branch station that allows non-residents to park is Manhasset which only has 13 non-resident spaces which are gone before 5:30 am and this is with the MPD charging $10 per day for non-residents.

East Side Access is so deep underground and there will be enough slow speed restrictions in the new tunnel that it would still be faster to take the LIRR to Hunterspoint and transfer to the 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island