Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 07:41 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,811,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Which is a mindset I've never understood. If those people wanted a carbon copy of Long Island, then why did they leave? Didn't they realize that wherever they chose to move to did NOT have those things? Or at least not to the exent that they happen to require/expect/want? LOL

*shakes head*
Yeah I don't get it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 06:37 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,138,684 times
I think that Long Islanders believe in the PR that’s put out. For example there are a lot of top performing schools that the majority of Islanders will never get to send their kids to, and that are used to justify the salaries and retirement benefits of those working in districts that are just average. (I don’t fault the employee as they’d be nuts to walk away from the benefits)

Move the Islander to a new home with lower taxes and they don’t mind voting in those who will raise those taxes because they’re still lower than what they paid on LI and they may get a chance to send their kids to a better school.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:45 AM

151 posts, read 129,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
LI'ERS(or to be fair Nor Easterners) are like a cancer. Anywhere they go they leave a path of destruction.
They leave for a better life and all, then shortly after they reach the promise land they begin to turn it upside down. Oh let's move to this quiet little country community, isnt it just so tranquil and laid back? Wait, no garbage pick up? no streetlights? no Starbucks? We need to change that!
Then there are the Long Islanders that move to Florida and then come back to Long Island because they can't handle Florida.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
Then there are the Long Islanders that move to Florida and then come back to Long Island because they can't handle Florida.
If they're lucky they can move back.
Some people blow their whole wad on some monstrous house, because of course its cheaper than a similar home on LI and they want to pretend to be a bigshot.
Anyway, the FL market is an odd one. Most homes don't appreciate or even maintain value like they do on LI.
So for whatever reason they can't hack in FL, they try to sell their house and they can't, or can't recoup the investment.
I personally know a ton of people that this happened to.
They either got stuck there, or had to start from scratch again on LI.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:40 AM

2,433 posts, read 1,208,973 times
Or they become the creature known as a half-back...and move to the Carolinas.

These southern states should enact a law that states you must have 5 years of residency before you can vote in local elections.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:39 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,762,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
LI'ERS(or to be fair Nor Easterners) are like a cancer. Anywhere they go they leave a path of destruction.
They leave for a better life and all, then shortly after they reach the promise land they begin to turn it upside down. Oh let's move to this quiet little country community, isnt it just so tranquil and laid back? Wait, no garbage pick up? no streetlights? no Starbucks? We need to change that!
Californians too, like zombies they move to states to escape the disaster they fled and then proceed to vote for the same crap that's destroying what they ran away from. See Idaho, Texas, Arizona, Colorado.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,138,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Californians too, like zombies they move to states to escape the disaster they fled and then proceed to vote for the same crap that's destroying what they ran away from. See Idaho, Texas, Arizona, Colorado.
You would think they would put two and two together, but nope.

I wouldn’t half mind if they built their high tax wonderlands and stayed there enjoying a nanny state, but no, they price themselves right out of their own homes.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:48 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,146,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowVest View Post
That is the saddest part. It really is. My generation we got kegs of beer and partied at friends houses who had cool parents, or off road someplace or in parking lots but then the scum sociopaths in government, the parasites with their never ending taxes and fees who are running things started with "cracking down" and "Zero Tolerance" basically what could be described as a "war on fun".
Yeah, and if we didn't have enough money for kegs we'd take a collection every couple hours for another suitcase. Nobody had a cellphone but we all knew where to meet every night. I probably have special powers that I don't even know about from hanging out under the power lines every night.

I never thought I'd feel such nostalgia for those days but here we are.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:56 AM

As long as all these R-words don't start flocking to Maine, that's all I care about.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:11 AM

732 posts, read 881,799 times
Sadly, YelllowVest will no longer participate with our lovely conversation since he is "Not a member"

I wonder what happened to him

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island