Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:04 PM

983 posts, read 720,057 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Is it normal that a contractor presents a final invoice with lots of unexpected expenses?

I know I have the upper hand because the job is done, but it’s the first time something like this happens to me and I’m not sure how to tell the guy that I’m not paying for all that because he never brought those costs to my attention during the process.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 09:12 PM

19,976 posts, read 20,669,299 times
Check the invoice against the alleged work done.
Have the contractor do a walk thru with you if need be.
If it's legit, then he deserves to be compensated.
If not, you'll need to put the gloves on and fight it.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:13 PM

105 posts, read 75,391 times
Threaten bad reviews. Its not worth ripping you off if his rip off scam gets posted online and he looses future costumers.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:31 PM

19,976 posts, read 20,669,299 times
I don't like contractors, many are sketchy rip off artists.
That said, I also believe in giving a fair shake.
"Contract" or not, if the additional work can be verified and was warranted, pay the guy.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Okkismassiv View Post
You truly are an imbecile.

Says the dude who uses crotch humor as a screen name. Typical Low life behavior, go get some more tattoos to show the offline world what a low class dumbass you are too.

Last edited by MyWifiGoesSlow; 12-12-2018 at 11:15 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 05:38 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,167,028 times
Go through each line item.

Have him explain why something was required or optional.

If it was optional then ask where you approved it in writing agreeing to it.

At the same time, when he gave a price, what did it say? Was it an estimate or fixed and final? He might have found things when doing the work that needed fixing. If you were fairly hands-off during the renovation then shame on you.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:52 AM

13,042 posts, read 18,004,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Hi,
Is it normal that a contractor presents a final invoice with lots of unexpected expenses?

I know I have the upper hand because the job is done, but it’s the first time something like this happens to me and I’m not sure how to tell the guy that I’m not paying for all that because he never brought those costs to my attention during the process.

Any advice?
Can you give examples of what you mean by unexpected expenses? Not taking his side at all, but before offering a reply it would be helpful to have a better understanding of what he is charging you for.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:00 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,518,373 times
Quote:
Hi,

Any advice?
What is he trying to charge you for?

Old 12-13-2018, 08:57 AM

983 posts, read 720,057 times
Thank you.

Regardless what it is that he's trying to charge (a long list), if during the process I suggested things (move an old high hat that ended up being too close to a new threshold), shouldn't the guy tell me right there and then that it's not included and would have an additional cost?

Old 12-13-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Thank you.

Regardless what it is that he's trying to charge (a long list), if during the process I suggested things (move an old high hat that ended up being too close to a new threshold), shouldn't the guy tell me right there and then that it's not included and would have an additional cost?
Yes, how is a house different then say a car ? Car won't start they tow it in and say it needs fuel pump $300 then you go and pick it up and its $1000 cause it also needed fuel injectors cleaned and an O2 censor.

No, they have to tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: