Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 07:45 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
People don’t want to say it but the real reason most wont prefer GC over Manhasset is because of the residents living in the surrounding towns. If you live in GC, it’s almost fact that your local stores/places/malls will have people from neighboring towns.

That's not true. I hardly see any Hempstead overflow in the GC town (not that I would mind). Maybe at BJs, but you can hardly call that GC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 03:40 PM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
That's not true. I hardly see any Hempstead overflow in the GC town (not that I would mind). Maybe at BJs, but you can hardly call that GC.
It is true to a large extent.
For instance, if a resident of Hempstead needs to send something via UPS or wants a cup of Starbucks, you would likely encounter that resident (black/Latino person) at those stores along Franklin Ave in Garden City, as those retailers would never place a store in Hempstead or Roosevelt. Franklin Ave is also easily accessible by public transit and located between 2 bus hubs (Hempstead/Mineola).

It would be more rare in Manhasset and the surrounding areas to encounter black & Latino people because the surrounding areas are less diverse. It is certainly true that some white people feel uncomfortable around *those* people and having *those* people in *their spaces*

Look at all the car dealerships along Franklin Ave in Hempstead that use Garden City to describe themselves. There is a huge reason for that.

If you are white and go those dealerships for a car, you will likely encounter more black and brown people than on the North Shore. Black and brown people are accustomed to going to white areas for basic quality retail (UPS/Starbucks/Whole Foods, etc.) whereas it is rare that a white person would ever need to go to Hempstead for something......

Look at how many people highlight the decline of Roosevelt Field (I know not Garden City proper) yet the mall continues to attract high-end retailers and Neimans finally moved there (although it was not their first choice). There's a perception that too many black people frequent Roosevelt Field...coded by saying its different now.

So yes the overflow of minorities (in particular Black/Latino) certainly is a factor and has an overall impact.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:27 PM

131 posts, read 332,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
It is true to a large extent.
For instance, if a resident of Hempstead needs to send something via UPS or wants a cup of Starbucks, you would likely encounter that resident (black/Latino person) at those stores along Franklin Ave in Garden City, as those retailers would never place a store in Hempstead or Roosevelt. Franklin Ave is also easily accessible by public transit and located between 2 bus hubs (Hempstead/Mineola).

It would be more rare in Manhasset and the surrounding areas to encounter black & Latino people because the surrounding areas are less diverse. It is certainly true that some white people feel uncomfortable around *those* people and having *those* people in *their spaces*

Look at all the car dealerships along Franklin Ave in Hempstead that use Garden City to describe themselves. There is a huge reason for that.

If you are white and go those dealerships for a car, you will likely encounter more black and brown people than on the North Shore. Black and brown people are accustomed to going to white areas for basic quality retail (UPS/Starbucks/Whole Foods, etc.) whereas it is rare that a white person would ever need to go to Hempstead for something......

Look at how many people highlight the decline of Roosevelt Field (I know not Garden City proper) yet the mall continues to attract high-end retailers and Neimans finally moved there (although it was not their first choice). There's a perception that too many black people frequent Roosevelt Field...coded by saying its different now.

So yes the overflow of minorities (in particular Black/Latino) certainly is a factor and has an overall impact.
By your logic....

There is a low income project that is INSIDE the Manhasset school district so a child in Manhasset schools would actually encounter students who live in that project every day at school.

Last edited by Tomais; 01-09-2019 at 04:48 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 05:17 PM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
By your logic....

There is a low income project that is INSIDE the Manhasset school district so a child in Manhasset schools would actually encounter students who live in that project every day at school.
My logic is factually based.
https://data.nysed.gov/enrollment.ph...d=800000049069

There were 84 black students in the Manhasset school district during 2015-2016 school year There were 198 Hispanic/Latino students (again, Latino is tricky in the context of true racial diversity, etc., since there are white Latinos, afro Latinos, etc.

90% of the district is White/Asian. Are you saying that Manhasset children, 2,373 white children in particular are encountering/mingling with students of color (like the 84 Black students) en masse? Further that *those* black/Latino kids would be like *those* in Hempstead or Roosevelt? Yeah right.

As Manhasset is more diverse than say Garden City (meaning a black family of financial means would likely choose it over Garden City), there's no way that all 84 black students are from this "low income project" you speak of.

How is your point relevant to what we were discussing in terms of experiences (or even perception of those experiences) when considering a home in Garden City vs. Manhasset?

Old 01-09-2019, 06:11 PM

90 posts, read 66,697 times
Why has the debate over Manhasset and Garden City degenerated into a debate over racial issues?
Yes, racial issues are still alive on Long Island, but people of all races need to respect each other as human beings and stop stereotyping individuals by their race. Garden City and Manhasset will continue to prosper and attract successful families no matter what their racial background, and if you don't like it, too bad, times have changed.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:39 PM

43 posts, read 72,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilawyer View Post
Why has the debate over Manhasset and Garden City degenerated into a debate over racial issues?
Yes, racial issues are still alive on Long Island, but people of all races need to respect each other as human beings and stop stereotyping individuals by their race. Garden City and Manhasset will continue to prosper and attract successful families no matter what their racial background, and if you don't like it, too bad, times have changed.
Agreed! Respect as human beings indeed!

Old 01-10-2019, 07:12 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc555 View Post
wait had couple of glasses of wine but you like manhasset bc it is not diverse and pretty much waspy? If thats what you like, congrats i guess. You’re eventually gonna get eaten up by the the Flushing >>>>>>to Roslyn, Northern blvd corridor.

We are a latin family in GC. All the neighbors sent us christmas cards, bake cookies for my kids, babysit for date night and folks in school approach us for play dates and dinners. Def not the cliquey environment you would find in places on north shore like Roslyn and Manhasset. In daughters grade while YES the majority is caucasian, we have biracial families, several latino families and MANY indian and asian families. To top it all off,the baristas at the 7th st SBUX already know my name and drink as soon as I walk in!!! YAYY! We are late millenials and it seems that some families that moved in the past few years have been from BK and nyc (also 2nd and 3rd GC generation) and just seem more down to earth and accepting. ala that NYC mentality.
I seriously want to respond to this, however, I can not understand the first phrase. I can not call it a sentence. because it is not.

I mean this - "wait had couple of glasses of wine but you like manhasset bc it's not diverse but pretty much waspy?

Could you turn that into a sentence, please? Or a question? Who had wine? You?

Old 01-12-2019, 09:34 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilawyer View Post
Because, at it's heart, one of the main differences between the two places are ethnic and religious diversity. Garden City has little. It was built on that foundation, of a restricted, covenant community, and that legacy lives on.

Political affiliations and social conservatism v. open mindedness, more frequently than not, follow the demographics of the area.

Why is talking about race so terrifying to so many conservatives?

The thing is TIMES haven't changed all that much. Garden City was a restricted community that excluded Jews at one time. That covenant - it's very existence, is repellent to many people.

Call me an old hippie (thank you), but I don't like the energy of places that once attracted people who were racist and exclusionary.

OTOH, I am sure some people are attracted to places like that.

And before anyone points it out - I know someone will - I live in Ohio. Why? I can't afford to live in my favorite places on Long Island that line the North Shore.

I avoid the South because of it's racist history and generally conservative outlook.

I'm more comfortable in Ohio. I like my seasons, older houses, sense of history and diversity.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:03 AM

43 posts, read 72,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Because, at it's heart, one of the main differences between the two places are ethnic and religious diversity. Garden City has little. It was built on that foundation, of a restricted, covenant community, and that legacy lives on.

Political affiliations and social conservatism v. open mindedness, more frequently than not, follow the demographics of the area.

Why is talking about race so terrifying to so many conservatives?

The thing is TIMES haven't changed all that much. Garden City was a restricted community that excluded Jews at one time. That covenant - it's very existence, is repellent to many people.

Call me an old hippie (thank you), but I don't like the energy of places that once attracted people who were racist and exclusionary.

OTOH, I am sure some people are attracted to places like that.

And before anyone points it out - I know someone will - I live in Ohio. Why? I can't afford to live in my favorite places on Long Island that line the North Shore.

I avoid the South because of it's racist history and generally conservative outlook.

I'm more comfortable in Ohio. I like my seasons, older houses, sense of history and diversity.
It’s quite difficult to take this seriously given that the Manhasset crowd doesn’t like GC because GC is bordered by working class towns and minority communities. Your innuendoes and statement about jewish religion, in today’s GC community, are literally FALSE. Not sure why you would imply something so disingenuous given that that there is a huge Temple and community center in the heart of town that sits on Nassau blvd (which is a main rd in between two streets amongst the most stunning homes) where after the events of Pittsburgh the community and religious leaders came together for a beautiful interfaith event.

Please come with facts next time.

While most of long island and the country has had issues with race and religious, we live, we learn, and we teach our children love and acceptance. I live in GC, am minority and can tell you that it’s more diverse and accepting than what you have heard.

At this point I think it may be more meaningful to to hear from residents that have at least lived in either town.

Caymus Cabernet, since you asked.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:11 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc555 View Post
It’s quite difficult to take this seriously given that the Manhasset crowd doesn’t like GC because GC is bordered by working class towns and minority communities. Your innuendoes and statement about jewish religion, in today’s GC community, are literally FALSE. Not sure why you would imply something so disingenuous given that that there is a huge Temple and community center in the heart of town that sits on Nassau blvd (which is a main rd in between two streets amongst the most stunning homes) where after the events of Pittsburgh the community and religious leaders came together for a beautiful interfaith event.

Please come with facts next time.

While most of long island and the country has had issues with race and religious, we live, we learn, and we teach our children love and acceptance. I live in GC, am minority and can tell you that it’s more diverse and accepting than what you have heard.

At this point I think it may be more meaningful to to hear from residents that have at least lived in either town.

Caymus Cabernet, since you asked.

Enjoy your Sunday.
GC HS is 91% white 4% Hispanic 4% Asian and 1% Black. That’s hardly diverse no matter how much anecdotal evidence you offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island