Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:26 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Oh I completely agree and have been complaining about Whole Foods' shortsightedness in that regard for more than two decades, ever since they opened their first stores.

It's as if they completely ignore the fact that many areas south of Montauk Highway are shelling out as much or more in housing prices and property taxes as many areas north of 25A. Babylon Village, West Islip, Brightwaters, Bay Shore, East Islip, Great River .... you can't tell me that people who are paying $25K - $35K in taxes wouldn't like to have a Whole Foods anywhere between Montauk and Sunrise Highways. I lived in West Islip for 40 years and believe me I was peeved every time I had to drive to the Jericho store.

If people clamored for it, they would build it. As someone said, there's not the clientele there that will support it.

People said Wegman's would never ever move past their current southern border in VA. Guess what we have three Wegman's being built in this area. There's a crap ton of transplants who have been clamoring for them to come here and now....here they will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 02:50 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
I see in today's Newsday that the Toys R Us store adjacent to the soon-to-open Whole Foods in Commack is going to get a combo of a Five Below and a Burlington store.

According to the article,

Five Below, which targets kids and teens with accessories, gadgets and bedroom decor priced at $5 or less, will open in the fall in 11,525 square feet of the former Toys R Us/Babies R Us space [...] Beside Five Below will be off-price department store Burlington, which I recently reported will open in the fall in 40,000 square feet of the former Toys R Us/Babies R Us space.

Using the supposed economic demographics that seems to drive Whole Foods locations, this seems like an odd fit. People shopping "off price" at either store aren't likely to be wandering into Whole Foods, and the stereotypical Whole Foods shopper is unlikely to be going into either Five Below or Burlington.

Existing stores in that same plaza are Hobby Lobby (new store as of 2018) on one side of Whole Foods and Pier One on the other. The other stores are Harbor Freight Tools (former Bed Bath & Beyond store), LA Fitness, Ulta, Miller's Ale House, JP Morgan Chase, and a Moe's Grill. Also sharing that parking lot is a Target and a Party City. On the other side of the Target is a strip of smaller stores including Michaels, Harmon Drugs (saves a trip to Bed Bath & Beyond, very convenient), a pet supply store, an Entenmanns, and a Macys at the far end.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 01-10-2019 at 04:20 PM..

Old 01-11-2019, 08:08 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
According to rumor, three new businesses, one a nail salon. I was hoping for a supermarket. Even Meat Farms.

Nah we need more nail salons, starbucks and walgreens here. There barely any....

....within 5 miles of each other.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:00 PM

294 posts, read 743,796 times
I seem to be in the minority as I prefer Stop N Shop and only go to KK because it's closer to me. SNS has better selection, more sales and more health food type products of which KK is practically devoid. KK produce is always DRENCHED in water, causing it to rot faster after you get it home.

My first preference is always the Giunta's in Farmingdale since I buy a lot of fruits and vegetables and they have a lot of the more exotic South American root vegetables and hot peppers. Plus they always have discount packages of slightly bruised produce of which you can get great deals. Last year I bought a huge bag of hot peppers for $1.50 and threw it in the freezer and I didn't have to buy hot peppers for almost a year!

Old 01-14-2019, 06:37 AM

5,521 posts, read 7,109,883 times
I don't care for Meat Farms.

The store always smells like dirty mop water. The produce never looks fresh. Every other time I milk it's sour, and there's not one deli clerk who doesn't have a skin condition.

Last edited by NYTom; 01-14-2019 at 06:54 AM..

Old 01-14-2019, 06:45 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I don't care for Meat Farms.

The store always smells like dirty mop water. The produce never looks fresh. Every other time I milk in there it's sour, and there's not one deli clerk who doesn't have a skin condition.
I got food poisoning from their packaged sauce once.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:56 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterhead View Post
I seem to be in the minority as I prefer Stop N Shop and only go to KK because it's closer to me. SNS has better selection, more sales and more health food type products of which KK is practically devoid. KK produce is always DRENCHED in water, causing it to rot faster after you get it home.

My first preference is always the Giunta's in Farmingdale since I buy a lot of fruits and vegetables and they have a lot of the more exotic South American root vegetables and hot peppers. Plus they always have discount packages of slightly bruised produce of which you can get great deals. Last year I bought a huge bag of hot peppers for $1.50 and threw it in the freezer and I didn't have to buy hot peppers for almost a year!

Stop and Shop is expensive but when they have their deals,10 for X dollars or whatever, those are usually good and I take advantage of them.

KK I found to be expensive and never saw them have any sales.

Generally if I need something quick and just to get 1 thing, I'll go to the nearest store and spend the extra money on it.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:55 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,219,565 times
I stopped going to Shoprite because the got rid of the Can-Can dancers.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:21 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
King Kullen, a grocery store chain founded in 1930 in Queens by the Cullen family, has apparently agreed to sell all its remaining 32 stores (and 5 Wild by Nature stores) to Stop and Shop. Takeover is expected some time during the first quarter of this year.
Another one bites the dust

Here's a timeline from "birth" to sale:
https://www.newsday.com/business/kin...hop-1.25523153
I LOVE King Kullen.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Especially since there are only two Fairway locations and both are in Nassau (Westbury and Plainview.) The one they opened next to the Smith Haven Mall closed in less than 2 years if I recall correctly. Some kind of furniture store went into that space, I think.

The weird thing is that Wegmans' origins and corporate office is actually in NY State (Rochester) and they have the most stores here (46) but absolutely none "downstate". Not even in Westchester. The closest ones to downstate are probably Cherry Hiill and/or Princeton NJ.

The only thing I can think of is that (a) they just don't want to pay downstate site prices (but is NJ really any cheaper??) or (b) they just flat out hate us downstaters on general principles, LOL
A Wegman's is opening in Brooklyn sometime this year. They generally like to build from scratch and being sized from 70,000 - 150,000+ square feet there are few places on Long island that could accommodate them and the required parking. Perhaps some abandoned K-Mart could be repurposed if it's not in a center that already has a food store which probably has an exclusive clause in the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island