Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:53 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna View Post
I honestly know very few LIers here that were paid anything to relocate here...including ourselves. And there is no longer a tax break for relocation...

(Smart) people come here because it makes sense. No need to over-analyze anything. Ya only live once.
My friend's relocation was fully paid and they had help with finding a house/rental. MSC wrote off $7-$10m in relocations for LI employees. The move made great sense. Take it and score or stay in LI unemployed. I'd take that deal. Plus they were young and recently married. They like it there, in fact just had their first kid last week. Worked out great for them. Me looking independently at jobs and homes there, not that exciting. The Lake Norman area is nice, but little difference in costs than LI. NC has nothing of interest to me, except winter golf on yellow grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 01:54 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
Quote:
IMO it will be the final dagger for many.
These comments are ridiculous. It's not a big deal. Is a couple thousand a year really going to make a difference?

Old 01-10-2019, 01:54 PM

124 posts, read 108,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
My friend's relocation was fully paid and they had help with finding a house/rental. MSC wrote off $7-$10m in relocations for LI employees. The move made great sense. Take it and score or stay in LI unemployed. I'd take that deal. Looking independently at jobs and homes there, not that exciting. The Lake Norman are is nice, but little difference in costs than LI. NC has nothing of interest to me, except winter golf on yellow grass.
North of the city costs more and traffic sucks...the area to the south is the place to be...

Old 01-10-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
These comments are ridiculous. It's not a big deal. Is a couple thousand a year really going to make a difference?
If you typically owe $500 a year or break even, now you owe $6K. Does that put a dent in the average LIer's pocket? Or are you one of those phonies who has to act like $6K is a mere bag o' shells?

Old 01-10-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
If you typically owe $500 a year or break even, now you owe $6K. Does that put a dent in the average LIer's pocket? Or are you one of those phonies who has to act like $6K is a mere bag o' shells?
$6k??? Where are you getting these numbers? Maybe for someone who makes north of $250k, and pays $20k in taxes.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:59 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
How is $16K in taxes on an old tract house sustainable ... while the taxes are on track to escalate to $20K in a few years?

Older people on social security still hanging onto their homes probably do for for the sake of family and also hatred of change. How do they stay fed and heat the house when owing so much to the taxman is beyond me. There's enhanced STAR, but even so.

Taxes are partly the reason so many of old folks don't properly update their homes, and why you see so many fixers with 1960s paneling and shag rugs. Buyers of these outdated shacks are on the hook for the taxes, and also tens of thousands in updates.

LI'ers should light a candle in thanks to the people from NYC buying old tract homes. Islanders used to be afraid of the city, but now people of varied ethnicities are owed everlasting thanks for propping up the LI r.e. market.

I see LI circling the drain because of its ravenous tax monster. If I'm uniformed in some way, please enlighten me on how LI taxes are sustainable.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:01 PM

Lol, I love this thread. The sky is falling! Run!!!

Old 01-10-2019, 02:01 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,145 times
Quote:
A couple of thousand is $166/mo. That's a utility bill. Not sure how you justify paying an extra utility bill per month for NOTHING. Add the Nassau re-assessment and it could be 2-3 new utility bills. Makes a big friggin difference to me. As I imagine it would to any rational person.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
$6k??? Where are you getting these numbers? Maybe for someone who makes north of $250k, and pays $20k in taxes.
I'm basing that on ~ $230K MFJ...

Old 01-10-2019, 02:02 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:
Well, yes. You've heard of a death by a thousand cuts, right? This could be a last straw for many people. $2K could pay for a very nice family vacation.

There's lots of things people can do with the tax savings. Life is better when you aren't plowing so much cash into a corrupt, bloated system that can't reform itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island